1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Nelson, 150mm Hawk Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Aug 22, 2013.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Here's the first sneak peek at my latest figure, Hawk Miniatures' 150mm resin casting of Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson.

The figure will be painted in acrylics and detailed with oil washes.

Still working on the face and eyes, and will then move on to the uniform. I only started it a couple of nights ago, so please be patient.

As always I welcome your comments, feedback and constructive criticism.:nailbiting:

IMG_1066.JPG
    Aveleira, Mark S, Wings5797 and 8 others like this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Looking very nice so far. I don't know this pice but Ito looks really nice. bTW your picture is squint.

Colin
  3. Ross Singletary New Member

Fleshtones are very realistic. Are you using Jo Sonja? Also do you mind sharing your flesh mix?
  4. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Superb Tony,
    I am biased to David for obvious reasons but a sculpt/cast is just that until the brush brings it alive.
    Great work and following this mate
    I live in Exmouth and Lady Hamilton is buried only around the corner, a small village called Littleham
    Wings5797 and Funky50 like this.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys.

Ross, the flesh colour is Jo Sonja Flesh Tone mixed with a touch of Titanium White and a tiny amount of Napthol Crimson and Prussian Blue.

I applied seven thin, dilute coats of the flesh colour base coat mix and then added a bit more Prussian Blue for the shadow tones. Once dry I then applied a series of oil washes in diluted white spirits with a purple filter. I then dabbed small spots of pure titanium white oil paint to the highlight areas and blended them into the base coat for the contrast highlights.
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks nice Tony I could be wrong but didn't Nelson lose the eye before he lost his arm ? Or is there a hand to be attached ? Think you've really caught the "look" of the man here regardless
    Steve
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Tony ,

This is a great sculpt , I like Jo Sonja colours ..drying dead matt as well ....always good to use as well ...do you use any retarder as well ?.

Like the work you have done on the eyes ..has the look of Nelson

Do share how you are going to go about the coat colour .

Looking forward to seeing hw you do the awards he has

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very sharp painting on the face.
    Like the colors.

Marc
  9. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

10. Funky50 Guest

Nelson never as far as I know lost an eye only most of the sight in his right eye although it is said most people did not notice this it was said his right eye had a pale film over it .....and he never wore an eyepatch which people seem to think.....information courtesy of QI and Stephen Fry....lol...by the way love this figure and will be watching this with interest ...still have mine to do ...really miss David Grieves figures the man was a tremendous sculptor his figures just seem to ooze character and class ...hope he comes back one day....
  11. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony,
    Nice start to this figure, the facial tones look about right, as Graham mentions he didn't loose the eye just lost sight in it. Some people have thus painted this eye grey/cloudy. I shall watch this develop as I always like seeing the kits I sell painted after that's why we produce them.

If your coming to Euro or Telford and you don't mind please bring him along so I can take a peak.

Hi Graham,
    Like you I have always liked David's figures and the master for this and the Hussar are works of art in themselves. And his figures still stand tall above the recent releases.

See you all soon.
    Gra30, tonydawe and Funky50 like this.
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi tony,I painted this piece offer I purchased it at Euro from David in 2005,it was to commemorate 200th anniversary of Trafalgar,the bust didn't have the headwear though,is this a new addition by hawk?

Very nice painting on the flesh,look forward to seeing it progress :)
  13. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Smudger,
    I wouldn't have dared changing David's originals, he sculpted the hat on the full figure, but the bust was bear headed. Stop by at Euro for a chat.

Hi Tony,
    Brain in gear now and Australia may be a long way to pop back for Euro/Telford. But please keep the pictures coming as the figure progresses. Next time your in the UK let me know and may be we can meet up.

Regards
    John
    Gra30 likes this.
  14. Gerry Active Member

Hi Tony
    Having painted this figure the same asBrian around 2005 , all i can say its a lovely figure, my Good friend Lee Chandler even talked David
    into making a bust from the sculpt! good luck with it, looking forward to your progress, there where some issue with referance to the positions of the medels? from what i can remember, but i never did 'Correct' Mine .. Gerry.
  15. Gerry Active Member

Sorry with Ref to the bust!! Brian had mentioned already!!:facepalm: Doh! but as said it too is a nice sculpt! minus the hat!
  16. chris1 Active Member

Hi Tony,
    great start.

There were a couple of articles in Military modelling a few years back about this figure.
    Apparently the medal with 1/2 moon and star(near the arm) is upside down.(If it hasn't been corrected already I'm going from memory as I don't have the issue to hand.)
    If required I can track the issues down for you.

Regards

Chris
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    Well colour me shame faced about the eye, I never realised that he hadn't actually lost it completely, heh the things you learn
    Steve
  18. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice start Tony, the eyes look great. Will follow this one. Regards, SG:happy:
  19. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Brilliant start Tony.
    Your flesh tones on the face are spot on for Horatio, he was always a poorly soul. Try to maintain this look as you progress with your brushwork please.
    This looks like a fantastic sculpt and I'm looking forward to another little gem from you.
    All the very best,
    Keith
  20. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    He looks brilliant so far, Tony. The eyes are superb and I love the pale skin and yellowish, sickly hue on the cheeks.
    Lots of finery on that uniform, should be a fun figure to paint.