1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Negro Kettledrummer

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Pilgrim53, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Pilgrim53 Active Member

Negro Kettledrummer.jpg T

Have this Masterclass figure on my workbench; assumed as a Mameluke; but apart from the excellent Patrice Courcelle artwork have no other references. Anybody have anything else. Obliged
    Babelfish likes this.
  2. Henkm Well-Known Member

Nap likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    These might help

Look forwArd to seeing your benchtime

Why not enter a piece into FOTM as well as voting in previous month

Thanks for supporting PF

Happy benchtime and stay safe

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  4. Pilgrim53 Active Member

Many Thanks. Once I am happy with my references I shall commence. Watch this space.
    Nap likes this.
  5. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
  6. Pilgrim53 Active Member

Many thanks IVo great reference for me.
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A handsome and unusual figure.

I would imagine that "Kettledrummer of colour" would probably be the more politically-correct term these days though :nailbiting:. Good job that pF is a (mostly) snowflake-free zone!

- Steve
    Oda, Banjer and Nap like this.
  8. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    This is why he asked wich coulours to use for the uniform ;)
    "Kettledrummer of colour" ! :
    Please do not forget, they were formed of ancient slaves coming from Turkistan and Caucase and east europe, so representing them systematicaly as central african is an insult ( by ignorance ) from peoples assuming that slave means central africans
    Nowadays, it seems that the kettle drumer was very dark skinned, it could be interesting to find a reference text ( source) of the time to prove it . He could have been a free men from the Antillas as General Thoams Alexandre Davy ( A. Dumas father )
  9. Pilgrim53 Active Member

Interesting debate; it would be good to get some background. Apart from the potential variations in dress colour (red pantaloons!) origins of incumbents! Thanks all as always!
  10. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy

I did some research to do my Kettledrummer, all the information show more or less the same details. Not completely sure about the color of the man. Black was very fashion in the mid XIX century and many documents came from that period.

go to see my thread https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/2019-2020-my-modelling-year.121611/page-6 answer 112 and you will find some answer to this kind of questions
    Nap likes this.
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thats a very nice figure.
    Unfortunally to small for my older eyes.

marc
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    That fashion was carried forward from beginning of the 18th century, at least. It was very fashionable to have black musicians in the regimental "musick", or to have black footmen and servants in your retinue, if you were a nobleman. As for terminology, in the vocabulary of the day, they were often referred to as Moors, too.

Prost!
    Brad
  13. gazer Active Member

Israel
    Interesting discussion. Mamelukes are well known in the Ottoman ruled middle east.
    But if interested in black soldiers in post-revolution France, why not go all the way up for General Thomas Alexandre Dumas, probably the most prominent of all (and father of the author Alexandre Dumas)?
    There is (or at least was) a Metal Models figure of him. Also, you can check out: https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/alexander-dumas-father.64263/

Best,

Benny
    Nap likes this.
  14. Oda A Fixture

Second that.

Oda.