1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Need help with US WWII Marine HBT color mix

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by bigtodd, May 12, 2015.

1. bigtodd Active Member

United-States
    I tried to mix a green that I thought matched the faded HBT , but it did not turn out correct. It looks more like a field grey. The light stripes did not help things.

So can some body steer me in the right direction. I see a blue tint in the overall color but when I highlight does it move towards a yellow or a more white?

I am using acrylics and have these brands Josonja Vallejo, reaper.

Thanks
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Todd,

Painting USMC WW2 HBT is difficult because there is so much variety in the colours of the uniforms due to the mass produced dyeing process and also the effect of tropical climates in the Pacific theatre of Operations (PTO) and the impact of salt water, mud, heat and sweat.

As this close up photo shows, the herringbone pattern is made up of thousands of tiny stripes of USMC green over a sage green base. It would be ridiculous to try and paint each stripe separately, but the effect is to create stripes of the same colours going in opposite directions.

My advice is to stay in the sage green colour range and opt for a two tone green pattern, using a standard USMC green colour and a slightly lighter shade of the base colour (add some Naples yellow and a small amount of Nimbus Grey) to form the alternating stripes. The effect should be subtle, not like pin striping, so try to keep the contrast between the two colours relatively small.

I hope this helps.

USMC HBT cuffs and buttons.jpg
  3. bigtodd Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Tony!!!!