1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Need help with Napoleonic uniform!!!!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by jcichon, Oct 7, 2009.

1. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    THis is a Fondierie 120mm Gendarme de Elite I have started and stripped about 3 times. THis is how far I have gotten and it just doesnt seem right. Now granted I still have some touch up work to do and things to finish as you can see but where am I going wrong? It just is not sitting right with me. I did a bit of uniform research but can't nail down anything super specific on their uniforms. The colors vary from plate to plate so I am hoping someone can help me out. Brutal critcism is welcome. If it looks like crap tell me!!! I can strip it down and do it again but let me know what you think. It is painted in oils over acrylics
    [IMG]
  2. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    http://fotki.lv/ru/Remi/comments-26212157/ Here is a link that might help you with some more info.I think your painting is looking very good so far.Have you tried gold printers inks? They might help bring out the buttons and belt buckle.Look forward to see your next photos.

Regards,John:)
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Jason, I don't think it's your painting. The anatomy doesn't look right. Admitedly when finished it will be sitting astride a horse but the legs just look odd. Have you tried putting it on the horse and taking a look?

Roger.
  4. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Nothing much wrong with your paint job.Stop analysing it too much (a common problem) and keep on painting.A couple of tips which will enhance your figure.Underline the bottom of the belt with a a much darker shade of the waistcoat colour and and add a line above the belt with a slightly darker shade of the waistcoat colour ,do the same between the waist coat and trousers and between the bottom of the trousers and the boots,commonly called outlining and use as mentioned printers ink or a mettalic paint for the buttons and buckle and get on with the rest of it.Do not strip it,do not dwell on it,just keep it going as you can always enhance the paint job with wet on dry oils as i always do.These are only small changes but will enhance an already well painted figure
    Brian
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I think what Roger was saying is that the legs appear too straight, no inward bend at the knee. Great painting though.
    Carl.