1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Need Help, fixing the skin tone

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by YellowBear, May 30, 2012.

1. YellowBear Active Member

Hi my fellow PF

since last couple project i posted here, i finished them all as posting here really motivate me to finish them

here is my new one and it is the first time i try on painting bust

problem i am facing with now, skin tone looks rather very white chalky, i have wrestle with it for 2 session / severl hours, now i think i am stuck.

and lips looks not really good i think too dark. i will probably fix that too.
    all suggests are welcome and very much appreciated

Ben
    IMG_9387_upload.jpg IMG_9392_upload.jpg
  2. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I think you've made a good job of the eyes especially.

You don't say what paints you're using. If you're working in acrylics, a few glazes and/or washes should get rid of the chalkiness, 'bring it together' and add some depth. Use very dilute colours, go slowly, and you'll be fine.

Good luck(y)
  3. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    I also like the eyes. The body looks like you may have put the paint on too thick and thin washes should blend it in more
  4. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Hi Ben, I have painted this bust myself and I know it is not easy as there is so much skin on show. I used oils for mine, utilising burnt umber and yellow ocre as well as flesh tint. I wanted to give the bust a suntanned look. The hat is difficult as I also gave that a leather look so it is difficult to differentiate between the hat and the skin. Hopefully the picture of my bust will show on this thread to give you some tips. Good luck. 038.JPG
  5. YellowBear Active Member

[USER=2523]david[/USER], [USER=5408]Ken[/USER], [USER=6760]Jazz[/USER]
    thanks for your comments and suggests.
    i am using acrylic, i am thinking of put a thin layer as well but afraid, i might ruin the work i have done before
    but after u guys mentions, i just try it

i put a thin layer over the whole thins but emphasize more on the shadow
    IMG_9394_upload.jpg

and start to hilight all over the face again.
    IMG_9398_upload.jpg
    it is not 100% as i may want but i think i will move to next step, coz i am afraid i might overdo it

experience so far, realize how hard to mix the perfect skin tone
  6. YellowBear Active Member

i will come back to the face again later
    so if any friends has any suggests on how to do this please help

it has been a good fun in painting this bust so far
  7. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Sensible decision to come back to it. It looks much better than the original pictures. Eyes are very good. It may be the photos again but for me the shadows need to be darker to give more contrast particularly on the body.
  8. YellowBear Active Member

[USER=5408]Ken[/USER]. U are right about the body.
    I haven't done much there only laying rough tone and filter the whole area. Next I have to put hi light and shadow. However, I forgot the mix I use for the face :p. Hopefully I will get similar shade again for the body.