1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Need advice on Asian skin tones .....El Greco 1-12th Samurai

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Russ, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Russ Active Member

United-States
    This is the El Greco Samurai bust in 1/12 scale. This bust is very much in the early stages (I even need to craft a tsuba for the wakazashi), and I'm really struggling with the basic skin tone. I just can't seem to get one with which I'm satisfied. I've watched a few YouTube videos on painting Asian flesh, but ...

Cruddy pic, I know, but good enough to show where I'm at with the flesh color (no highlights or shadows to speak of yet). Any suggestions? I realize that - like most ethnicities - there's a wide range of Asian tones, but they don't extend to anything I've come up with. The references I have go into Native American, Caucasian, and African coloration, but not Asian.

SO - Does anyone have any tips, favorite formulas, or references that might help me out here? Do I just need to set it aside for a couple of days? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!!

MODEL TIP: I shouldn't have assembled it before starting to paint (I'll remember that when I do the 1/9 scale version).

1_12 Samurai 1.jpg
    Oda likes this.
  2. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nap, dmcHobbes and Russ like this.
  3. Russ Active Member

United-States
    @Andrew: Absolutely marvelous! Thank you so much! :)
    Oda likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Russ

Andrew has beat me to it , that's a great reference of many skintones and with colours recommended

Hope we see more updates in this thread soon

Looks a nice piece

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Russ likes this.
  5. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Done a couple which may or may not be helpful. I would suggest adding a tiny amount of 'Japanese uniform' or 'English uniform' to your basic European flesh skin tone mix. I'd also go easy on the shadow tones which helps give the suggestion of a smoother less pronounced face shape. (Using acrylics)

Hope that helps
    Paul Butterfly Swordsman (2nd Opium Wars).jpg View attachment 460588 View attachment 460589 Samurai TL1.jpg
  6. fabrizio19691969 A Fixture

for my japanese i use andrea color set, for base i mic 60% of second base (the light base color) 20% first base(the normal base) and 20% of english uniform F27330B4-A947-4B5E-BB52-55913D2CF195.jpeg