1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP NCO, Greek Cavalry, Asia Minor, 1920

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by valiant, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
  2. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    pole1.jpg 68.jpg

Attached Files:

3. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I cant thank you guys enough for the references - an amazing response!! Looking at the photos, would I be right in thinking that the sword belt is separate and worn under the tunic and that the slings are only visible below the bottom edge of the tunic?

Thanks again, (y)
    Fokionas and billyturnip like this.
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Ευχαριστώ.
    That was £30 I didn't think I would be spending today. :D(y)

[IMG]
    napoleonpeart and valiant like this.
  5. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hi Billy...actually this figure is a Greek "guerrilla" fighter in a period before Balkan Wars when Greeks were fighting in the (occupied by the Ottomans) Macedonia-THE GREEK ONE!.
    Officially they did not belong to the greek army but they were volunteers who were there on their own.Later the Army sent camouflaged officers to prepare the situation for the coming First Balkan Wars .....
    There are some other figures from this period , available as well but this one is superb!
    Let me know if you need any help with the uniform.
    Greetings
    Fokion
    Oda and billyturnip like this.
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Thank you Fokion.
    I have been doing some reading of the subject online this afternoon but I will probably be in touch. I'll leave it here for now as I don't want to hijack Steve's thread any further than I have already. :)
    Thanks again.
  7. Trex Well-Known Member

The photos below are from the subject time and operation.
    They might help you with the sword positioning.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  8. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the pics, Trex - Im amazed by the response on this thread! Ive done some searching myself and it does seem that the sword belt is worn under the tunic, when dismounted. Clearly, in the pics, when mounted, the scabbard has a frog on the saddle...(y)
    billyturnip likes this.
  9. Oda A Fixture

I have all the series of the heroes of the Greek revolution and the Athens miniatures officer who I intend to portray(god knows when) as a med corps officer.All the figures shown above are top quality(the heroes of the revolution are still available but Athens miniatures is no more,unfortunately) and Fokionas' painting is superb.

Oda.
    Fokionas and valiant like this.
  10. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hi Again,
    I am posting two different pics of my Officer , hopefully they will help you along with the pics of the real thing.....
    Enjoy! P6300049.jpg P6300048.jpg
  11. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Oda and Fokionas like this.
  12. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  14. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Again, Ευχαριστώ. I am very grateful for the input here, its been unbelievable! I think it just goes to show that there is no "proper" way of wearing the equipment! It is down to individual preference, certainly on campaign, it would appear.

As I intend my figure to depict a cavalryman on patrol, I am tempted to say that the sword is on the horse, just out of picture! Then maybe, I can add a standing horse in the future...?!

Thanks again, everyone for the likes and comments, (y)
  15. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A very different and neat conversion.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    valiant likes this.
  16. Oda A Fixture

Well done Valiant and Fokion.Great work and refferences.

Oda.
    valiant likes this.
  17. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thank you for your nice words ....the credit goes to Steve for his creation and for" honouring" my country's army .
    I had a request to post pics from Greek Army of that time in a thread at Uniforms section.
    Anyway let me give some more pics of modelling interest for Steve and any other who is interested in this period. f2b0a58676635.560c164ee4737.jpg 2cd0e3ee1ad0e45d028598fdead2e735.jpg e8c9e28676635.560c164e63784.jpg
  18. Trex Well-Known Member

Let me add these are a Greek Cavalry Corporal (left) and an Infantry Captain (right).
    The chevrons on the sleeve denote time at the front, one for every semester.
    They were white/silver for NCOs and yellow/gold for officers.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Steve ,

What a great figure and a fantastic response , all pictures saved so thanks everybody ......just glad there are no busts around .

Nap
    Fokionas and valiant like this.
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England