1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Navy Seal Afganistan Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by FigureLover, Mar 12, 2014.

1. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi all,
    Started this bust from Special Ops Models recently. Its one of the most spectacular casting and moulding jobs I have ever seen on a kit. The rifle (not in these pics) is almost a kit in itself, and it has lots of options of gear to use depending on the operation etc that you are trying to depict.
    I am trying to challenge myself by doing a digi-cam uniform, although its not perfect, I think I am happy with it so far, and will look better once I add some shadowing and highlights as well as some weathering. The BCU vest (base coated only) and ammo pouches etc will be done in the tan/light green tone. The face has just had its first oil coat at this point, the eyes wont be painted until later when the kit is assembled so that I can line them up with the rifle. The helmet was base coated in black, then airbrushed over this after adding a bit of Humbrol Maskol for chipping. A bit rough at this stage, but I will go back in and refine it using brushes at a later stage
    Thanks for looking
    Ben IMG_6468.JPG IMG_6469.JPG IMG_6470.JPG IMG_6471.JPG IMG_6472.JPG IMG_6473.JPG IMG_6475.JPG
    sd0324, Karlosfandango, Joe55 and 3 others like this.
  2. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great start! The camouflage alone makes this a difficult bust to paint. I look forward to seeing this finished!!!

Anthony
  3. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    The camouflage is coming along nicely, i don't envy you!

John
    FigureLover likes this.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Mate, seriously....that digi cam is off the hook. You're completely mental:D Great job Ben, and I agree with your comments about the quality of the sculpting and casting on this bust. I'll be following your progress with interest.
    FigureLover likes this.
  5. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Anthony, John and Tony
    Yep the camo is definitely a challenge, but that's what we are here for!!!! hehe
    Tony, nearly a week off work due to medical issues has a lot to do with it, so I had the time up my sleeve to do it
    Ta
    Ben
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That camo work is excellent (it's called digicamo???).

marc
    FigureLover likes this.
  7. swralph A Fixture

Like the camo work
    FigureLover likes this.
  8. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Looking good Ben!

Nice work so far.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
    FigureLover likes this.
  9. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Ralph, Marc and Jeff, Much appreciated.
    Marc, I think the name Digi-cam is a slang term for it, Marpat desert pattern is the correct name.
    Ben
  10. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ben
    Will be following this with interest camo work is excellent a step by step would be great on how you achieve this great effect really crisp moulding must be a joy to paint ..he'll if you spilt paint on it it would go in the right place lol it's so crisp
    Cheers Chris
    FigureLover likes this.
  11. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Geez, you've got your work cut out for you on this one. Looking pretty fine (y)!

Joe
    FigureLover likes this.
  12. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Chris and Joe, great that you had a look.
    Chris, I will have to sit down and re check all the colours that I used, but basically its just having the time to work from light to dark. When I have a bit more time, I will post a list of colours and the procedure of how I did it for you
    Ta
    Ben
  13. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Back again with this one.
    At this point I have added the pouches that I wanted, added the arms and head. Apart from the face, I have painted these to a point that I am happy with except they will need more weathering towards the end. I need to go back over the face to add some more detail. The rifle will also be added next.
    Thanks for looking
    Ben IMG_6483.JPG IMG_6484.JPG IMG_6485.JPG IMG_6487.JPG
    Gambler, Joe55, Gellso and 1 other person like this.
  14. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Awesome work Ben,...........
    Cheers
    Chris W
    FigureLover likes this.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ben

Mate this is stunningly good. The Marpat shirt is perfect. The webbing is spot on.
    FigureLover likes this.
  16. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ya Tony and Chris,
    Glad you are liking him, I think he is coming together well, Ta
    Ben
  17. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Coming along nicely, mate! Was great seeing him up close last weekend, could appreciate the awesome paint job you've done on him.
    FigureLover likes this.
  18. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That camo puts me off painting most of the very modern subjects.

The armed forces of the world gave no thought whatsoever to the average modeller when deciding to go over to using this stuff. It is a bastard to paint!! :inpain:

- Steve
    FigureLover likes this.
  19. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Coming along fantastic cracking camo spot on
    Cheers Chris
    FigureLover likes this.
  20. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Niiiiiiiice work
    FigureLover likes this.