1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP National Serviceman on patrol, Cyprus, 1957

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by valiant, Nov 14, 2015.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys,

here are some pics of my latest conversion/sculpt, depicting my old man during his National service days. Sorry about the grainy pics, its tanking down with rain here and the light is gloomy to say the least!

Based on the Imperial Gallery Chindit figure, mine has resculpted legs and arms, to hold the Sten,
    reworked shirt, replacement head with Mk4 helmet, again much reworked to improve the shape. It now awaits painting and basework, which will include (at the moment) a section of wall with a Keo beer ad, to place it firmly in Cyprus.

Thanks for looking in,

Steve(y)

Attached Files:

Mat Lambert, Steve, BillW and 3 others like this.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Very nice indeed. Did you sculpt the helmet Steve? Not the easiest shape to sculpt I imagine. :wacky:
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Blimey Keo beer, remember that stuff. :happy:
    Nice reworking and a great pose. Looks good to me.
  4. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A very nice conversion.
    Look forward to seeing it being painted.

Cheers ,
    Andrew
  5. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comments chaps. I'm pleased you like it, so far! The head with the helmet was a spare from another kit which my son is working on, but the kit helmet was a very odd shape! I have reduced the dome, reshaped the flare on the back, reshaped the lower profile and added a more prominent rim! (So I suppose you could argue I sculpted it!)

I decided on using the beer ad, as the overall colour scheme on the figure will be largely drab colours, so it will need a splash of colour!(y)
    peedee, Viking Bob and billyturnip like this.
  6. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great Steve,

I hope you don't mind me saying don't forget his water bottle.

Looking great as usual.

(Loved your display last weekend too by the way).

Paul.
  7. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ahh! I was wondering which one of you would notice that!

According to my dad, the waterbottle was carried in the small pack on patrol, to stop it clanking and sloshing about!(y)
    peedee likes this.
  8. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Aah....that would be slongside the spare one...and if he was lucky that would be 44 pattern too ;)

:) P
  9. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Seems like they had odds and sods of all sorts of kit! My dad was telling me that when he was at Arbourfield camp, they had to do picquet duty armed only with pickaxe helves and fire rattles. The logic was that the armoury had been broken into earlier and several rifles were taken and they didn't want the sentries overpowered and lose theirs too..!!

Thanks for the comments on our display, yours was none too shabby either!(y)
    Viking Bob and peedee like this.
  10. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Yep, I remember doing stag with a pick axe helve, as for water bottle defo two
    peedee likes this.