1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Napoleons beloved “Egyptians”

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Milky Bar Kid, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Milky Bar Kid Active Member

Always wanted to have a go at doing this Regiment, with the opportunity to model some camels. The figures are quite old Nemrod with a few tweaks here and there, especially on the camels trappings. Hope you like them

Terry

D1EAB2F2-0519-43B4-B6C1-8632DEC76C0B.jpeg DC5D5668-4AAC-4DE5-9373-1A453FCE8062.jpeg BF642B4F-F094-45BC-AC72-42DCC909707E.jpeg F75780C8-05E9-4C30-A62A-9B45FF1B346B.jpeg B6690839-A95A-404E-9D54-26462DBB5114.jpeg
    Babelfish, Manfred, Jaybo and 31 others like this.
  2. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nicely done, sir, they're working well !

Mike
    Oda likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Terry

Great subject nd like the composition as well , nicely presented

Good work on the camels trappings as well

Intrigued about the red lines on the camels legs ...decorative ?

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    NeilW and Oda like this.
  4. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Beautiful work and paintwork

Mobo
    Oda likes this.
  5. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent and very different.
    Cheers
    John
  6. Agesilaus Active Member

France
    Great paintwork (y)
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent modelling and painting.

Marc
  8. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great work.
    Gordon
  9. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    nicely done..
  10. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    A great subject very well done.
  11. Oda A Fixture

I would also like to know about the red designs on the camels' feet.Please share your documentation.All in all a beautiful creation.

Oda.
  12. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work and an interesting subject. However, not quite sure, but those guys look rather dark to be French.

Weren't the troops drawn from the ordinary French infantry regiments rather than being locals (see the extract from the Osprey Warrior 77 below).

They acted as 'proper' dragoon, riding into battle then dismounting to fight and the initial idea was to have two men per camel. It seems that this was found to be impractical and dropped quite soon, but a model would be novel (see below: I reckon that the solo rider is in fact sat in the front 'cockpit' of a double saddle?).

Dromtxt.JPG Drom1.JPG Drom2.JPG Drom3.JPG

Links to saddles:
    https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/m...t-des-dromedaires-camel-saddle/id-f_15691721/
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/602044004/rare-antique-napoleons-dromedary
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/374361787769882705/

1969's refs: https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/regiment-de-dromadaires.38663/
    Oda likes this.
  13. Milky Bar Kid Active Member

Many thanks for the kind words guys. In answer to a couple of your queries, the following might help

Oda
    Camel decoration
    Ever since camels became domesticated their owners have embellished them with decorative trappings and body art. The camels purloined by the French during the Egyptian campaign would have likely incorporated quite a number already decorated in such fashion, notably with paint markings on their legs, I have attached s couple of references to demonstrate this.

Neil
    Sunburnt features
    The soldiers are definitely intended to be French, several months under the Egyptian sun would have produced dark tans and sunburnt complexions on even the palest of skins and I have attempted to convey this.

Hope this helps
    Terry 1E502DAF-6518-49EB-808C-9B0AAD070AD9.png 3E2485BE-73F9-4E93-BAA6-90C96F6C9981.png
    DaddyO, Oda and NeilW like this.
  14. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Terry,

Fine... just looked a tad dark to me (or perhaps my monitor isn't set properly :facepalm: )

Either way, it's clear that they forgot to pack their factor 50 :cool:

Interesting about the red markings in your reply to Oda.
  15. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Excellent work.
  16. Oda A Fixture

Thanks a lot Terry.Valuable documentation indeed and as I have Chronos' release on the same subject ,this will come in handy.

Oda.
  17. Dennis Active Member

England
    Hi Terry, I am really looking forward to seeing these at the next club meet. I think they are lovely and reflect your consistantly high standard.
    Dennis.
    Oda likes this.
  18. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  19. Auggie Active Member

Canada
    Wow! Super animation. You can almost hear what that camel is "saying" to the other one! Fantastic painting on the saddle blankets.
  20. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Only just spotted these Terry-stunning as usual.

Hope to see them this coming Saturday.

Keith
    Nap likes this.