1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Napoleonic Marshalls

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by marcellin de marbot, Jun 17, 2007.

1. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hi to all,
    After one year of walking in this side, I decided to show off some drawings of mine, to which will follow also some photos of (-badly-) painted figures, and, in the section "References", some threads on the Napoleonic uniforms, a basic knowledge to introduce whoever will be interested in a complicate world of rules.
    These Marshals are a part of a work made for the Italian magazine "Soldatini", including all 26 Marshals portraits, their biographies, some details of the uniforms, some medals awarded, and their coats of arms, because Napoleon in the Imperial period made nobles all his family, all his great commanders and several high officers.

The first one is Pierre François Charles Augereau, Duke of Castiglione, well distinguished in the Italian campaigns of Consulate. He's dressed with the ceremonial dress used by Marshalls. Dark blue velvet cloth, gold embroideries of oak leaves, crimson sash of Commander of "Legion d'Honneur".
    [IMG]

The second one is the Duke Emmanuel Grouchy, the "latecomer" of Waterloo.
    Here he dresses the green uniform of Colonel General Commandant of the "Chasseurs", charge received on 1809 after Marmont
    [IMG]

The third, August Frédéric Louis Viesse de Marmont Duke of Ragusa, dressed with the uniform of Colonel General Commandant of the "Chasseurs", charge kept from 1805 to 1809. Considered from almost all a betrayer, because during the 1814 campaign of France he surrerended first one to the Allied, opening the way to Paris.
    [IMG]

The fourth, Joachim Murat, King of Naples, husband of Napoleon's sister Caroline, surely the most eccenctric and elegant dandy of the French Army(he drawn himself personal uniforms, out of any rule). Probably the best cavalry Commander in the French Army, he lead the famous charge at Eylau named "the charge of the 90 squadrons", that means many thousands of cavaliers. So vain for his image, he died in Calabria Italy, killed by a firing squad, asking them to not shot at his face. Here he wears his personal uniform of King of Naples, as reproduced in a painting by Antoine Gros. Crimson sash of Commander of Legion d'Honneur and blue sash of the Order of two Sicilies.
    [IMG]

The fifth and last for the moment is Joseph Poniatowski, the Prince of Poland, faithful allied of France. He joined Napoleon hoping to free Poland from Prussia and Russia, but in the facts his Fatherland passed under the French control. He died on 1813, during the Leipzig battle, three days after receiving the Marshall stick. Classic uniform of Polish lancers, with the blue sash of the Polish Order "Virtuti Militari".
    [IMG]

I hope you like them and can be useful to think at any work on figures. Any comment is welcome, as any question about these Marshalls or the others.
    Best Regards to all
    Marcello
  2. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Hi Marcello,

Marvellous. Keep them coming.

All the best,
  3. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks as always

Thanks again mate, your stuff is always valuable and is apreciated.
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Marcello, magnificent work, I love them, you are a very talented artist.
    They will become a permanent part of my reference material, looking forward to seeing more of your work and thanks for posting.

Ciao
    Roc
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Marcello. I have already saved them in a new file. Excellent work and reference.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Marcello.

Marc
  7. Taiko Well-Known Member

Czech-Republic
    Excellent work Marcello. Thank you for your time and informations about these five Marshals. Super details for painting and conversions...

Milan D.
  8. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Well done, Marcello!

Thanks for sharing your work. Please keep them coming.

Jason
  9. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Absolutely beautiful work my friend ! Really useful to all of us
  10. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good drawings,good references for napoleonic fans!
    christos
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Great stuff Marcello, thanks for posting them.

Roger
  12. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    more more more
  13. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hi guys,
    Thanks to all. I'm very glad you liked my works. I choosed yesterday to put them in memory of my father, died three years ago. After many years of drawings for my personal pleasure or for joke, this work was the first one I published, but he was already passed away and he could not see it.
    Thanks again to all, I'll continue in the next days to put here something more about the Marshalls.
    Marcello
  14. MazingerZ New Member

Spain
    Guau!!!!!!!.
    Great Work, very nice drawing.
    Congratulations.

Josema
  15. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hola Josema,
    Muchas gracias, me alegro que los dibujos te gustaron. Bastante trabajo, para los tios y todos los cacharros que tenian (sables, medallas, gorros, bandas,cordones, que aqui todavia no he metido).
    Un saludo
    Marcello
  16. MazingerZ New Member

Spain
    Marcello.
    Gracias por escribir en Español, es mucho más fácil para mi que el Inglés (jejejejeje).
    Que si me gustan los dibujos?????, me encantan, la época napoleónica es una de mis favoritas, tus dibujos (con tu permiso) ya están guardados como fuente de inspiración para próximas figuras.

Gracias, un saludo.
    Josema
    -------------------
    Marcello. Thanks for writing in Spanish, it is much easier for me that English (jejejejeje).
    What if I like the drawings?????, I love them, the Napoleonic epoch is one of my favorites, your drawings (with your permission) they are already kept as source of inspiration for next figures.

Thank you, a greeting.
    Josema
  17. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Josema(ri?),
    Para mi puedes escribir directamente en Espanol, si quieres que te entendan los otros, vayas con dos idiomas, o mas...
    Referente al permiso, hombre si pongo una cosa aqui, ya se que todo el mundo puede aprovechar, no? Pronto voy a poner algo mas, no te preocupes, si te gusta el napoleonico, vas a tener bastante figuras.
    Saludos
    Marcello
  18. MazingerZ New Member

Spain
    Gracias, ya estoy esperandolas...........

Un saludo.
    Josema

Pd. Josema = Jose Manuel.
  19. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Marcello,
    Fantastic and a great reference. Thank you.
    Cheers
    John
  20. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Marcello my good friend that's a real beauty. Many thanks for this great reference. I really appreciated... and well done for your effort.

Xenofon