1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Napoleonic Bust

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by gordy, Aug 19, 2003.

1. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    very nice, with what did you use for a primer? what was the colors used for you initial oil coat?

keep us updated!
  2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi gordy,
    I use good old laquer based white automotive primer. Nice and cheap and works well too.
    For this figure, I undercoated first with Liquitex Deep Portrait Pink. Then the mix is Winsor Newton Flesh + Burnt Sienna to a darkish brown flesh and Titanium White to bring the color up to what I want. I paint the entire face with this and them paint the shadows with straight Burnt Sienna and highlight with straight T. White. After that dries, I did the deep shadows with Brown Madder Alizeran and highlight with a mix of T. White + some Cad Yellow and a touch of Gold Ochre to a very light, creamy yellow.
    Glad you liked it, thanks!
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    wow, very informative...

I haven't painted since I left Verlinden and I'm anxious to get back into painting again. I'll have to try the burnt sienna, while working for Verlinden he was a raw umber fan and most my stuff had a green overcast to it...
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    i agree !
  5. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the kind compliment John.
    This is the first piece I've ever done by Dave Greive and I have to say that it's absolutely beautiful. I'd be tempted to pick up the Napoleon bust that is part of this set of 3 (the other being Wellington). But I think I'll wait until I see just how I do painting all those medals . But I will say that the face on this guy was an absolute joy to paint.
    I painted in the eyes last night, along with the first layers on the tunic and the sash. If get the chance I'll take some pictures and post them soon. Otherwise it will probably be this weekend before I get another chance.
  6. JohnLea New Member

I think that I have seen other examples of you painting skills. You will do a good job on the medals.
    Be sure to check out Grieve's full figures, both his current ones and the Classic 100's. I think that he does his own casting and although I haven't seen one recently they are brilliantly done.
  7. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    I've been looking up Grieve figures on the net and I like what I've found.
    Unfortunately I usually don't paint anything much smaller than 120mm. I find it too difficult for me. Plus it's hard on my eyes B)
    The last small thing I tried is this 75mm Marine from United Empire miniatures. It was a nice figure (with a few problems like the size of his right hand).
    [IMG]
    I don't think I did as good a job as I would have liked on it but it was fun.
    Just too small :)
  8. JohnLea New Member

Looks very nice.

I think Grieve's current releases are 90s and the ones I am more familiar with are 100. I can't see you having a problem with those sizes.

I think Ft Duq had at least some of the Classic 100's in their line but I don't know who is releasing them now.
  9. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I had the opportunity of comparing the original Grieve British Camel Corps figure in metal with the Fort Duquesne recast in resin. Jim Johnson did a great job but the metal version was slightly crisper. Not sure if this the effect of the different casting materials. John you would probably know something about that.
  10. JohnLea New Member

It is possible that the resin castings came from an x generation casting that had some mold deterioration. The resins that Jim used are the same as the ones I use and they will (and have) reproduce a fingerprint. On second thought, IIRC, Grieve sculpts in metal with a soldering iron and files so the original mater should still have been available.
  11. Debra Raymond New Member

It was very interesting to read your comments about DF Grieve figures. Like you I have admired David's work for many years and I am now delighted to be working with him!

I have purchased the rights to and am now producing the Waterloo Commander busts (Blucher, Wellington & Napoleon), the Great Little Army Series (90mm) and the British Army at Waterloo series (100mm). The busts are now in resin (the definition is superb, they cost less to post and you don't get arm ache holding them to paint!) on a white metal base (which gives the finished piece sufficient weight). The British Army at Waterloo Series are part resin, part white metal at present but I am considering producing these in all metal again next year - comments appreciated on this subject. The Great Little Army are (and always will be) all white metal.

David is working on a series of five guardsman busts (1/9th scale, resin on white metal base) for me and our latest release is another bust - Major of the Black Watch 1903-14. Two more pieces for the Great Little Army range are in the pipeline and I have enough ideas to keep David busy for a lifetime!

You can take a look at my catalogue and buy online at www.militaryfigures.co.uk. If you can't find the old D F Grieve figure you are looking for there try Bonapartes. (See Links page of this site). They have the rights to the figures which were bought from David by Jim Johnson (Fort Duquesne) although I am not sure if they are all available yet. All NEW pieces from D F Grieve will only be available from me!

Happy painting!

Debbie
    Debra Raymond Military Figures
  12. foxyboy Member

Hello. I am trying to track down large scale busts in white metal. I see that Metal Modeles supply busts and I assume they are made of metal. Can anyone confirm this for me? Also, in reply to Debra Raymonds last post, I prefer all my models in metal. :)