1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Napoleon crossing the Alps bust.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Geoff Charman, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Geoff Charman A Fixture

I love the painting that this bust is based on but didn't realise how many versions of the painting there was. I shall be doing the version with the red cloak, if I needed to tell you.

P1140349 (2).JPG

The 200mm Bust from Alexandros Models looked super, but when looking carefully there was such a lot of cleaning up to be done especially in the folds of the cape, this looked as if course sand had been dropped into the creases, but they were made of resin, which I didn't really expect from a company as good as Alexandros. It took me two days to cut out, scrape out then sand to remove them, something I have never had to do on the 100+ busts I have completed. Rant over.

Parts cleaned up, primed and the Bicorne given a first bit of paint after fixing it onto the head..

P1140376 (2).JPG

I continued to give the Bicorne it's base coat colours using acrylics, and then the face using my usual Artist's Oils with the base coat for the hair in acrylics.

P1140384 (2).JPG P1140383 (2).JPG P1140385 (3).JPG

I shall now leave this part to dry before continuing with the rest of the Bicorne.

The main body part now.

Cheers
    Geoff
    Tonton, Borek, Anastasiya and 10 others like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Lovely start, face is superb.
    Perseas and Geoff Charman like this.
  3. misfit151 A Fixture

Hi Geoff....courageous to make a start on this one....(y). I have this in line to do sometime.....I think you must have got a bad one Geoff I had no such problems with it....I'm sure you will make it look OK... In your capable hands....will follow with interest....stay safe.... . Mike
    Geoff Charman likes this.
  4. Cannonball A Fixture

Lovely start on the face Geoff. I’ve always liked the look of this bust but could never decide between the young Napoleon or their later version of him in greatcoat and Chasseur uniform. Interesting to hear about the clean up issues - got the new 75mm Lauzan Hussar on order from them so keen to see if there are similar issues with that.

Neal
  5. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks Bob, I'm pleased with the face, but I think all the braid on the hat and uniform is going to be quite a challenge but at least it is moulded well.

Cheers
    Geoff
    Viking Bob likes this.
  6. Geoff Charman A Fixture

I think I must have Mike, the other two I have from them were super, still it's fixed now, going to start on the tunic now.

You stay safe too mate.

Cheers
    Geoff
  7. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Neal, I'm starting to get a few busts of Bonaparte, three with this one so this might be the start of a sub-selection.

I think it must have been one which got missed going past quality control.

Bye for now
    Geoff
  8. Fabien Dougnier Active Member

France
    Good start ! Lovely eyes !
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    good start. Keep mine in the GA.

Marc
  10. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks Fabien, pleased you like it so far.

Geoff
  11. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Marc, it has to come out sometime.

Cheers
    Geoff
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Geoff

That's a fine start , as am ways flesh looks really good

I would just let Alexandros know about the cloak as well

As always ...following with interest ....especially that cloak

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  13. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Nice work Geoff, particularly with your trademark quality flesh painting. Sorry to hear about your adventures with Bonaparte’s cape.
  14. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks Guys, I now wish I had taken a pic of the problem but I managed to sort it out Nap/Chris.

Cheers
    Geoff
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  15. Geoff Charman A Fixture

I have been based coating the tunic and cape and started adding the base coat on the lacing.

P1140388 (2).JPG

Need to let the old eyes have a rest before I start the collar and cuff. The cape I shall be painting in Artist's oils over the red acrylic base coat.

Cheers for now and stay safe
    Geoff
    Borek, Perseas, NeilW and 2 others like this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Geoff

Neat basecoating there what colour you using for the lace ?

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  17. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks mate, that is a mix of Vallejo MA 033 Ochre and MC 877 Gold Brown.

Cheers
    Geoff
    Nap likes this.
  18. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thats a nice start on the uniform Geoff, very nice blues.
    Geoff Charman and Nap like this.
  19. Fabien Dougnier Active Member

France
    Great ! Nice blue !
    Geoff Charman and Nap like this.
  20. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks Bob and Fabien

I used Vallejo ModelAir Signal Blue.

Cheers and stay safe
    Geoff