Napoleon bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi all,
    In keeping with my attempts to break my slump, here are some pictures of my latest piece. It's a bust of Napoleon sculpted by David Greive and produced now by Deborah Raymond. It's my second in the series of three of Napoleon, Von Blucher and Wellington from Waterloo. It's a beautiful piece and extremely well cast.
    There's a long way to go but I pan to get it done to take with me to MFCA at the end of next month. Theonly things I feel are "done" are the face and hair. I'm not too happy with the eyes as they are so I plan to redo them yet again :)
    As always, I appreciate all comments and constructive criticisms. Also, and suggestions you have on anything in particular, please feel free to make your suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Craig

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    OK, you asked for feedback Craig, and here is my two brass coins worth.

Skin tones to face are very good, nice and smooth.

Your dissatisfaction with the eyes, I agree.

You have gone for highlights, I think, and shading effects - which is an awesome effort, IMO.

pupils are a bit out of round, which may be affecting the perception of the eyes.
    The white is a little stark, that may be the results of camera tech. It seems you have cut the whites with a dash of pink in the corners, but its hard to tell on my monitor. If you have, well done.

The eyes focus is a bit 'toed out'. I think. Maybe tweaking one eye inwards will help?

To recap; Skin tone good, eyes (always a challenge) you already know about, hair good.

Welcome back, hope this breaks the slump.

Cheers
  3. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Janus,
    Thanks for the comments.
    These eyes have been especially difficult for me. Thiese were the most round version I managed so far :D
    While these ones don't have any pink added to them, I do usually add a little Naples Yellow to the white on my eyes, just to tone it down. But I have done some with a bloodshot effect using Aliziran Crimson that I was happy with.
    I see what you mean about the eyes being toed out. Although it wasn't as obvious to me until I saw the photos. But I've been looking at them too long now :). When I redo the eyes, I will try to correct this.
    Thanks again :)
    Craig
  4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello Craig

The eyes look to me out of scale, but you can still change them. The rest is very good, superb skintones.:eek:

Regards from Portugal
    Pedro