1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Napoleon bust, Young Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jan 29, 2017.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,
    I've been having some mojo issues lately and so my productivity levels aren't what they normally are. I'm still plugging away on old Boney here, and trying to get the highlights and shadows on his overcoat looking right, while also creating a texturing effect through pointillism. I'm not sure how it's looking, but I thought I'd show you the results of two nights painting tiny dots.

Napoleon 14.jpg Napoleon 15.jpg Napoleon 16.jpg Napoleon 17.jpg Napoleon 18.jpg
    Rich Sculpts, Borek, Martin64 and 6 others like this.
  2. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I think its coming out fine Tony, just keep at it. Are you using oils or acrylics on the pointillism?

Joe
    anstontyke and tonydawe like this.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Joe,

I'm using slightly diluted Jo Sonja acrylics mate.
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    I do like the green, don’t go very deep on the beard, he was pretty much shaved all the time.
    great bust

Regards
    anstontyke likes this.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Rodrigo,

Thanks for your comment. The face is finished and I wont be adding anymore shading to the 5 o'clock shadow.
    anstontyke likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Tony

Love the way the face has turned out very Napoleon in look nice result

I know the mojo feeling !!

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    stoffy01, anstontyke and tonydawe like this.
  7. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    lovely progress tony, he looks to be really contemplating what he needs to do next.
    i like the pixellation as well but you must be seeing spots before your eyes now:)

tony
    stoffy01 and tonydawe like this.
  8. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony keep at it, this bust is going to be a cracker when you finish it, the boredom thing comes to us all, if you can spend about an hour each night on it and then go on with another project, you will eventually get there, almost every figure has a head melting section but we still come back for more, see you and everyone else in the mental institute lol.
    TERRY
    stoffy01, anstontyke and tonydawe like this.
  9. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Losing mojo or not, he's looking great, and you're making some really nice progress.
    Regards,
    Phil
    tonydawe and anstontyke like this.
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Nap, Yes, mojo issues are a common complaint for all of us. Thanks for the boost mate.

Hi Tony, painting the thousands of tiny dots does actually becomes quite tiring on the eyes and after an hour I need a break. Glad you like me progress.

Hi Terry, thanks mate. Yes, I try to get at least an hour at the workbench every night and sometimes longer. I cracked on with this bust last night and I think I'm over the hump now. The rubber room and straight jacket will have to wait a bit longer.

Hi Phil, thanks buddy. Progress is slow but I'm getting there.
    anstontyke likes this.
  11. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Another first class result Tony. Its is going to be an absolute beauty!! Congratulations.

Chris
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Chris, glad you like him.

I managed to push through my mojo issues and I'm pleased to say I've reached the point where I'm calling this bust "fini".

Here he is.

Napoleon 19.jpg Napoleon 20.jpg Napoleon 21.jpg Napoleon 22.jpg Napoleon 23.jpg Napoleon 24.jpg
  13. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Glad to hear you got past the mojo issues, bud... definitely worth it - he looks fantastic (y)

Phil
  14. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Tony,
    Wish I could paint at your non mojo level, I'd be extremely happy. Great looking bust Tony very inspiring for any future Boney themed subjects for me.
    Regards
    Chris.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    anstontyke likes this.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Phil, I appreciate your comments mate.

Cheers Chris, keep at it mate. Painting and sculpting your own figures is something I wish I could do, so hopefully we can inspire each other.
    stoffy01 and anstontyke like this.
  16. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Wow... Looks great, awesome paint Tony. No words...

Cheers Borek :)
    tonydawe and anstontyke like this.
  17. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    you have certainly got your mojo back tony. you have really nailed this piece.

tony
    stoffy01 and tonydawe like this.
  18. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mission accomplished, insanity intact, well done he has turn out great, time to show it to the family and friends then stick it in the cabinet and fire on with the next figure, I think that there may be a risk that pointillism could be become a medical condition if we are not careful. lol.
    TERRY