1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Napoleon Bonaparte 1807 in Cuirass

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Michaelminiatures, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Michaelminiatures A Fixture

United-States
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    1807 in Cuirass
    Worn at the Battle of Tilsitt
    New soon to be released 1/9 scale bust sculpted by Anton Derbilov for www.unitedempireminiatures.com
    Napoleon is shown wearing the famous armor he wore at the Battle of Tilsitt in 1807.
    Napoleon ordered the magnificent armor for himself and a set for Marshall Berthier .
    The Napoleon armor is now on display in the Musee da la Legion of Honneur ,Paris.
    Beautifully sculpted by Anton Derbilov with every detail perfected.
    Thanks to Alfred Umphry for providing additional research for this bust.
    Hope you enjoy,
    Mike

70C7F30D-06BD-49E6-B6B5-FB5D36F72A01.jpeg ED71EB99-E1E5-4741-BABA-4BEEC03BE0E8.png 679E5130-2EC7-43F2-A4F9-806A9A2A3CAC.png 4EBD0630-76CB-419B-AD8B-A58D1A2F9277.png E264191A-F0A0-4591-B84E-DDAEEF29125E.png FA6EA3B1-0D8C-462C-8A42-95F06F99A0A3.jpeg
  2. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Beautiful.

All we need now is a free trade deal with the US.
    Inaki likes this.
  3. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    A wonderful bust. Will need to make room for this one!
    Gerry
  4. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This bust is superb and it will look magnificent when painted up by one of the artists amongst us.

Gary
  5. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Superb sculpt
  6. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Come on Gary get those brushes out-you could Airbrush 90% of it

Keith
    Tommi and Redcap like this.
  7. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is absolutely stunning, but would be even better were a pair of legs available for those of us who prefer legs to a pedestal (the final height is much the same).

Mike
    Inaki and NeilW like this.
  8. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  9. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Magnifique !
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb sculpting by Anton to capture all that detail.
    Steve
  11. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
  12. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    I can only say:

1. There has never been a "Battle at Tilsit" (or "Tilsitt"), neither in 1807 nor on another date!

2. In Tilsit (East Prussia) the Prussian-Russian-French on July 7 and 9, 1807 peace negotiations between Prussia, Russia and France took place. There are
    almost 100 pictures of this, especially from the famous meeting with Queen Louise of Prussia - and not on a single Napoleon wears a cuirassier uniform!

[IMG]

3. There exists a "Musée de la Legion d'Honneur" in Paris.

[IMG]

4. Not just one, but three cuirasses made for Napoleon are on display there - and not any of them is "famous".:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

4. There is not a single evidence (neither painted nor written!) that Napoleon ever one of these cuirasses
    has worn - especially not during any battle!

5. There is not a single evidence that Napoleon "ordered" one of these three cuirasses - rather tey were Honor gifts for him.

6. The misunderstanding (or the misinformation that Napoleon ordered the cuirass shown) is obviously open
    on this - wrong! - caption ...:

[IMG]

This is a nice sculpted bust

Cheers
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Wether he wore this or not there are original items in existence as in the references Mike showed and indeed in ZC plate

This is a excellent and unusual subject matter and will paint really well and the sculpting is top class .....not only the helmet but just look at the sword

Let's respect MC's thread and decision to share a release to the community , comment on the sculpting as well for me it's a big POSITIVE

Definately on my want list

Nap
  14. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    For me personally...it's not about whether or if he wore it or even ordered it...it's purely whether I could do the sculpt justice with such a high level of sculpting excellence and detail...absolutely superb IMHO
    Just hope the caster can do it the justice it deserves :whistle:

Ron
  15. Nap Moderator

England

WELL SAID

I am sure casting will be very high quality

Nap
    malc likes this.
  16. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I am not bothered one iota about the history of it.

It to me is a fantastic sculpture and would love to paint a copy.
    Billy Dickinson likes this.
  17. Michaelminiatures A Fixture

United-States
    Napoleon wore the cuirass and helmet at Tilsitt , he did order it one set for him and one set for Marshall Berthier. If you need to clarify the ordering of the cuirass(which means nothing for this bust) Napoleon ordered Berthier to order the cuirass and helmet. The fabrication was more than likely done at Zuderell in Paris. The rest of the story of Napoleon wearing will be told at a later date. It is documented by R. and J. Brunon .
    Tecumsea and Nap like this.
  18. Cannonball A Fixture

What a great sculpt. Outstanding detail work on this and a good likeness facially as well.

Neal
    Tonton, Nap and malc like this.
  19. Wally Active Member

New_Zealand
    Lovely bust. Well done. Yes on my to buy list along with all the others. Napoleon you are the man.
    Nap likes this.
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany

Napoleon planned to equip his marshals with parade armor. Shortly after the victory in the Battle at Friedland, two prototypes for the Emperor and Marshal Berthier were delivered in June 1807.

The project was unsuccessful and the two breastplates remained in Berthier's possession. The piece on display came from the estate of the museum.

The helmet is also not sure whether it may be a later reproduction.

Cheers
    Zastrow.cuirassier likes this.