1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My Way With Oils

Discussion in 'Oils' started by kagemusha, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Hmmm. well thats not good!.. So a satin, varnish??.. Possible?
    Mark
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's all possible. But, why not use a silver felt tip or pen. They come in other colours of metal too these days. I am assuming you are looking for better control than a brush. There are a range of metallic pencils, I think 'Caran D'arche but not sure of spelling, that are said to have good adhesion and light fastness and come in several metallic colours.

Ron
  3. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Control!.. is the key word!... because when I slip!... it's not light!:LOL:... Never heard of this kit!.. something else for my ever expanding! bits and bob's drawer! ... Both Monet, and Turner! would be wide eyed if they looked into it!

Mark
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Here as promised is the final update to this SBS. I have assembled and then re-worked and finalised this great bust. I set out to give him a tired look rather than 'After the Battle', with areas of wear to the cloak and shield, along with an overall well lived in skin.
    I hope you like him and have enjoyed the journey to completion as much as I have. It has been great fun to do and, if a few have gained some insight into a different way with oils, then that really makes it worthwhile.
    Thanks to all the members that have taken part in this SBS for your support and encouragement.

I am sorry the pics are not great, but my camera is not playing fair!

IMG_0293.JPG IMG_0295.JPG IMG_0298.JPG IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0302.JPG IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0306.JPG

Ron
    China Dave, Dolf, MCPWilk and 8 others like this.
  5. Mark S Guest

Thank you very much Ron for all the effort you've gone to with this SBS, especially at a time when you have been concerned with the well being of your partner.
    I for one have appreciated this thread and have been fascinated to follow your technique to the final brilliant results...thanks again.
    I wish you and your partner all the best!..cheers.
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you Mark, for your support during this thread and your kind wishes. Very much appreciated.

Ron
  7. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Thank you very much for this thread, undertaken under difficult circumstances for yourself. I for one have very much appreciated the detail of this SBS.
  8. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks a lot Ken, and very pleased you enjoyed it.

Regards

Ron
  9. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Ta-Dah!.... The Phoenix has risen!.. Absolutely brilliant!.. .I see you have sneaked in some older looking Tattoo's, with faded blue!.. very clever and realistic!.. as most would run with black., its all these little bits of detail and thought, that make a huge amount of difference. The five 0'Clock shadow, is very subtle, and fits the drawn/weary look very well. I have already said, that the worn leather/hide bodice, is a lovely piece of painting.

Ron!.. Thank you very much for taking time out, to do this for us, it, is/was very much appreciated. and has given me at least! so many ideas and realisations! on techniques and methods, and the use of them. That I have gone a bit, Bust! mad. So I will stop buying, and now get to painting my first!..(y)... However you may get a little fed-up, of me asking questions:LOL:

Mark
  10. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mark, and thanks for compliments on tats etc. It was a pleasure to do and glad members got something out of it. Feel free to ask for any help mate. When you get round to painting and not buying, give it a go. One of the benefits of this technique is that a lot more time is spent on layers of fine colour rather than fine detail, which may suit you better.

Regards

Ron
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    great finish.
    Thanks to this SBS I found a new way of painting.

Marc
  12. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A great compliment Marc. Very pleased you like him and that it has given you a new way of using oils along with your own style. Thank you for your support during this SBS.

Cheers

Ron
  13. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I very much appreciate what you have given us (y)! I'm definitely going to give your techniques a shot :)!

Joe
  14. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Your very welcome Joe and I hope you enjoy trying the techniques out.

Ron
  15. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well that's definitely a wrap as they say!! Fantastic SBS Ron C
    pity it had to end (y)
    Im sure a lot of modellers will take something from it if not all of it.
    Will have to figure out how to save it now :D

Ron T
  16. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Looks great ,might have to adjust some of my techniques.
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    Fantastic work Ron nice one mate very useful I'll be having a long hard look at trying this out. Hope your partner gets better asap mate as well.
    Cheers
    Steve
  18. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron
    Not only a bust well done, but a huge kudos for sharing your knowledge and skill with us. I have been watching it silently for a while.

I would like to make a suggestion for Gordy and administrators if they would kindly consider it:

1. Tutorials like this should be pinned on top of the forum section or perhaps even taken into some " Master's Treasure Vault" section or whatever you may want to call it. Zernina's recent pattern tutorial is another instant candidate I'd like to see there.

2 If they are selected to go there- it would be usefull to trim them down to essential information and leave out all 10 pages of enthusiastic comments of adoration (completely deserved, dont get me wrong and full respect to people who leave them) - that will make it very easy to follow, instead of trailing through page after page of comments.

Then it may be usefull to get the author to edit the final version of it, to amalgamate all other casual advice that they shared along the way or what others contributed.

I hope this will make a gem like this easily availiable to everyone and thread will not slip into oblivion of old threads.

Once again, Ron, thank you
    Richie and Helm like this.
  19. Helm A Fixture

England
    Good idea if it can be done it would be invaluable.

Steve
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Indeed a very, very good idea.

Marc