1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My Next attempt at following Gary.

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by TorMag, Mar 7, 2006.

1. TorMag Member

I hope that you guys are not getting tired of seeing noobie post. After that Landsknecht by Joachim, I am embarresd to even show this. However, I will swallow my pride and post another newbie scuplt in progress........

This is what I was working on before I got sidetracked on the bust in my other post. After finishing the bust I picked this back up to start working on. Here is the head I had done.

[IMG]

Well, setting things a side for a few months, gives you a chance to see the error of your ways. The biggest mistake was that the head was way too small for the body I was working on. Don't know how I missed that.

[IMG]

So, I needed to redo the head. Having had the problem with scale, I found what Ken B told Kevin D in Kevin's thread, about cutting a silhouette out of styrene (both profile and front view) intriging. Not having any styrene laying about, I threw some sculpey thru the pasta machine, cut out the silhouettes, baked them and then glued them together. The sculpey worked great for this, and I won't have to use styrene. Here are a couple of pics of the silhouettes

[IMG][IMG]

This method is working great for me scale-wise. Having done the silhouettes, I went back to Gary's method. Here are my WIP's

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Tor
  2. joachim lindman New Member

Tor you have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. Your sculpt is coming along just fine! Every sculptor starts out with their first (and second, and third) sculpt. You should se mine, they did not look that good. So just go ahead and practise and above all have fun. Thanks for showing your pics.

Ps Are you by any chance Scandinavian?

Cheers

Joachim
  3. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Looks fine to me Tor!

I wish I could do that well. As Joachim says, everybody has the first ones and that is the great thing that we learn and develop.

Just hang in there. I have confident in you. :)

Cheers
  4. kenb Member

hi tor

glad my tip has been of some help did you find that the profiles helped with keeping the basic shape on track . I also use the profiles being of different colour to determine position of features such as ears and bridge of nose etc

this inital positioning often changes through the sculpt ie I rough the shape and position of the ears in order to work on the cheek bone and orbs of the eyes

then as these details progress I assess the head as a whole possibly removing the
    ears and repositioning .I also work with a mirror though not too much as this can have a detrimental effect hope this helps

ken
  5. TorMag Member

Joachim - Thanks so much for your comments. I am humbled by your Landsknecht and I hope to someday be half as good as you.... Yes, I do have Scandinavian blood third Generation, but like most Americans I am a mix of alot of other blood now too.

Uruk-Hai - Thank you for you comments and for looking.....

Ken - Yes, your tip has really helped and I will be using it going forward. One area I will change with the side profile is to cut out and area for the mouth. Especially if I was going to do a figure with an open mouth, but then again, since I am having problems with the mouth does it really matter :lol:

Tor
  6. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tor,

What a great idea to use the sculpey for the armature!!! Easy to cut, stiff after the baking..... good idea!!

Keep going!!

Kevin D.
  7. TorMag Member

I did some more work last night. Change the bridge of the nose, added the nostrals, added the ears and some "flesh" here and there. Since Gary just posted his mouth SBS, I will probably remove the mouth tonight and resculpt. If someone can tell me how to set up a "Work Bench", I will stop posting my WIP here and post there. I'll just put finished pieces on the sculpting forum.

Tor

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG]
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tor, I think this new head looks good. It looks like a young kid, which is okay. Keep plugin away.~Gary
  9. TorMag Member

Gary, Oh no the kiss of death :eek: "Young Kid" now I am sunk......

I know what you mean, I think it might be the chubby checks.

This is the ugly mug I am shooting for here. A buddy of mine.

[IMG][IMG]

Tor
  10. TorMag Member

Ok, looking at them side by side, I am way off.........
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tor, No way are you off. You have the basic shape of a "full" face down. Keep going it's looking good. If you note the center of the eyes and draw a line down you can blend some of the mouth into the rest of the head as his mouth looks small. You could also bring his brow line down which would help to make the vertical height of the nose smaller. If you find there is too much head from the brow up you can just cut this away.~Gary
  12. kenb Member

hi Tor
    looking good It may help to define the neck to progress the head
    do you have profile photos to work from

lighting of face to create shadows to help pick up the subtle features might be helpful
    cheers ken
  13. TorMag Member

Thanks Ken, yes I do have a profile shot too.
  14. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    TorMag, this is your second figure? I say you are well on your way. It is looking good so far. Just one thing it is not easy for someone just starting out to do a figure of a specific person. It is a bit easier to do generic heads for a while. I speak form experience. Great work so far.

Best
    Jeff
  15. TorMag Member

Jeff, thanks for you kind words. I have to agree with you, tackling a likness this early is not a smart thing. However, the good news is that in this sculpt, only his nose and eyes are going to be visible. I am attempting the likness as more of an exercise than anything else.

Tor
  16. TorMag Member

Y'all,

I have finally gotten some time to get back to sculpting. Real life has a way of getting in the way of fun...... Here is an update on the head I have been working on. I need some help around the eyes, they really look wrong on the side view.

I did notice after taking this picture that the eyes are upside down... That is the upper lid is too straigt and the lower lid too curved, but that still does not help the side view.

Thanks Tor.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tor, Use this drawing as a reference to check your work.~Gary