1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My Latest Work

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jim Patrick, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Here is what I'm getting done before Chicago. It's Pegaso's 43rd Light Infantry Officer, 1812 (#54-185). I'm changing him up slightly and making him an officer of the 51st in Spain. Not much as far as conversion goes. Pretty simple and straight forward. Obviously, the pelisse is being left off. I just felt like doing something different. This figure is marveously sculpted by Maurizio Bruno (I'm on a mission to buy most if not all the figures he has sculpted :lol: ). Not a whole lot as far as "bells and whistles" go, but the anatomy and posing of Bruno's sculpts are second to none (in my opinion anyway :( ). The groundwork is done and then I started on the grey pants. Grey was giving me a fit and so I painted (and repainted then painted some more) the areas surronding the grey color to get a better feel for what I still need to do. Along the way, I bought Andrea's new fleshtone set and played with it a little. You can see the results for yourself. What do you think? Is it worht doing a seperate review/SBS on? If you guys want it, I'll do it. **BE WARNED**. I don't paint flesh tones as well as most of the guys on pF but if you want to see what the colors look like, (and how to screw up a face :lol: ) I can do that. What do you think so far?

Jim Patrick

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. amistabyss New Member

Hi Mr. Jim Patrick,

Nice job on the figure. This figure as well as the RHA officer look awesome!!!
    I would have to say that I especially love your skin tones and would love to see a sbs on how andrea fleshtone work. I'm currently using oil paint but due to inconsistency, I'm thinking about changing to acrylics or enamels. Your sbs would help a lot!! :)
    With that said, I would still love to see a sbs on how you paint your figure. Am I asking too much? :lol:
    Thank you and keep up the awesome work!
  3. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hello my friend Jim. I will totally agree with what you've said regarding Maurizio Bruno. I bought most of his latest works, and i will keep on getting his future release from Pegaso at least.
    Regarding the figure i have to say that you did a great job with the pants. It seems that the painting you have done really tones up the pants. Your flesh looks top notch too :)
    Keep on painting :)

Xenofon
  4. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Really Good Work Jim. Have u used the flesh set of Andrea Solid or u pleyed with mixes adding other colors in them ? Skin tones and pants look really great. Waiting to see it all !!!. Ground work also sets the figure well !!!!
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Outstanding figure Jim,

Great colours. I like the whole figure.
    Can you tell how you did the flowers. This give a nice touch on the whole setting.
    Great work Jim.

Marc
  6. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys. I REALLY appreciate it. Yes, I'll do a SBS on the flesh tones.

Costas, yes I played with the colors. It almost Andrea's flesh paint straight from the box. I added a few other colors (from the Andrea range) and I'll show all this on my next figure. Not that there was anything wrong with the Flesh Set colors, I just added a few for my personal taste.

Marc, I'm going to do another SBS for groundwork soon. I'll make it large enough and include several different types of "flowers and plants". In short though, the flowers are dried floral things (the wife nearly killed me when all her dry floral stuff disappeared :lol: ). I just paint them. I picked a color that would stand out against the groundwork and figure. More to follow.

Mark, what exactly are you looking for? If you can help me out with this, I'll know what to gear a SBS towards for you. No, your'e not asking too much. That's what we're all about on pF. Helping. After all, it's what others have done for me ;) .

Xenofon, I think you and I are his two biggest fans! Yes, I have also bought other figures by him and have a few more "on the way". That new Chasseur A Cheval By Maurizio is a MUST have!

Thanks again,
    Jim Patrick
  7. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Yeap Jim, Chasseur A Cheval will be picked up as soon as it hits the store. Magnificent piece. I have agreed with myself to get all his napolenic release from Pegaso. I'm sure that we won't get dissapointed.

Xenofon
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice but you are doing it wrong - you are supposed to paint from the head down....not the legs first - that's just not right! ;)

Just kidding! I might try this myself as I always lose interest by the time I get to the knees.

Colin
  9. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I, for one would love to see a SBS. I am prepared to learn from everyone and I like what I see Jim.
  10. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    I reckon you're doing some lovely work Jim, the boots and trousers are great, the flesh is looking excellent too, nice and smooth.

All the best.

Roy.
  11. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Great paintjob so far, Jim!
    Love the colors, the skintone is great and the decor is fabulous.
    From me: 10 all the way!
    Love to see the rest to come,

Eddy
  12. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Jim those grey trousers are fantastic. In fact I would love the mix please. The face looks good but I would love to see a close up before I comment
    Stephen Mallia
  13. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Thanks again guys! Colin, I always knew there was something with me wrong. I always end with the start. :lol: :lol: Actually, there's a method to my madness. The head and left arm aren't attached yet. I have to put the saber on before the arm, and have to paint the pants before the saber. LOL! You got a pretty good laugh outta me. But, even with that reasoning.....I still think I paint backwards.

Stephen, the mix for the pants is a little confusing.
    Base- 992 (Neutral Grey)+870 (Med. Sea Grey), about 1:1

Highs- start adding 819 (Iraqui sand) then add 955 (Flesh) for the final highs.

Shadows- start out with straight Neutral grey and then add 862 (Black Grey)

Now, here's where the confusing part comes in. I wasn't happy with the results thus far so I first used 992 then went to 836 (London Grey, a bit too much blue in it for me though) and started applying tonal washes and going in between highs and shadows. One of the nice things with acrylics. You can go back and alter the finish of the paint AFTER it's all dry but makes it a bit confusing to say "I did this...." or "I did that....". Make scense? Hope so cuz I just confused myself :lol: .

Here's some closeups of the face. I'm trying not to do the images so big so bear with me.

Jim Patrick

[IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
  14. amistabyss New Member

Mr. Patrick,

Thanks for a kind reply.
    I would love to see what colors you used (numbers, too, please :lol: ) and also in what order you applied your paints. For example, base --> highlight --> shadow etc, etc.
    It would also be nice if you could share how many coats of highlights and shadows you applied to the figure :)
    Answers to these questions would help a beginner like me a lot :lol:
    Thank you again!!!!
  15. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Jim, He looks very good. Your fleshtones are superb.

John
  16. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    OK, the first pics are much bigger now. Putting up bigger pics is something I wrestle with. Not everyone has broadband and it's hard to judge a figure from small pics. I guess I'm still hunting for the middle ground. Thanks Stephen and John. I'm trying to improve with each figure (more so now than before World Expo) but it's a work in progress. I'm not exactly the most patient person so this is really trying my nerves. Kinda why it's taking so long. I have to force myself to put it down for a few days at a time to keep from rushing headlong into mistakes.

Marc, the next steps will be much more detailed. Although I'll be painting red.....you can replace it with any color.

I'll have to reshoot the fig to get better pics of the face.

Jim Patrick
  17. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    OK, took a little more time off from this figure than expected. I need to get the show on the road if I plan on bringing him with me to Chicago!

Marc, here is the answer to your question (at least I hope so). For the red basecoat, I used Vermillion (947) with just a DAB of Neutral Grey (992). The reason for using Neutral Grey is because I like the color of 947, it's just a bit too bright. 992 allows me to knock the intensity of the red down while still maintining the same hue. For the first highlight, I'll use 947 straight from the bottle. 992 really is a GREAT color as it allows you to get more of a true midtone while not changing the color too much. You guys should give it a try, just use it SPARINGLY

The left cuff was painted because I needed to paint the inside (I couldn't once glued to the torso) and so I could get an idea what the green would look like. I'll probably add a little 992 to this base color as well.

No big deal, but you can see the base coat here.

Jim Patrick

* NOTE *- I didn't like the color too much ( I added too much 992 :( ) so I went ahead and added the first highs with straight 947. It'll pop once the shadows go in, I'll try to show some progress tonight.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  18. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    WE lighting is still BEAMING :lol: :lol:

Great painting Big Man........

Waiting in earnest...........

Ray ;)
  19. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Ray, but the light isn't beaming quite so bright these days :( . I wasn't happy at all with how the first attempt turned out. I wanted to show it SBS but everytime I put a color and shadow on, it just kept looking worse. I told myself it would turn out. All I had to do was keep painting. Well I did and it didn't work. I do have a few pics of my first attempt. I'll post them when I have the jacket completed. That way you guys (as well as me!) can see a "before and after" sorta thing. I'm almost there but before I started messing up again, I sat the fig aside and will come back to it this weekend. Patience is a virtue. Or so my wife says! :lol:.

Thanks again,
    Jim Patrick
  20. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    Jim, please share with us your evalotion with the reds. I usually use for that color the following mix:

base--> scarlet+cadmium maroon
    lights --> base +scarlet in at leat 4 occasions and + deep orange two or tree more times. Sometimes I use sunny skintone in the last ot two last.

shadows --> base + military green

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Rafa