1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP My latest Verlinden 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dolf, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Shadings & highlights on the jacket now done (with the help of the pics I can notice a few details I should fix... damn HD pics, can't hide anything with these... :) ) :

IMG_2002 copy.jpg

IMG_2003 copy.jpg

IMG_2004 copy.jpg

IMG_2005 copy.jpg

I've tried to use some of Milan Dufek's ("Taiko" here on PF) tricks and methods for this phase (videos here: https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/what-color-is-this.158827/#post-993412), obviously not that much successful :(
    One thing I did differently is that I painted the shadings last night, and after a couple of hours working on these couldn't stay sit at the bench not a minute more and had to stop (back issues...), so only painted the highlights today (kept the palette on the fridge, but the mix was almost fully dry today so had to add a couple of drops of Abteilung 502 Matt Effect Thinner to the mix, which kept drying pretty fast, forcing me to repeat the adding of a couple of drops of the thinner again before I finished) . Not sure how much this can influence the result, as Milan paints both the shadings and the highlights in a row, on the same session. Maybe it's also the oil brands he uses that are definitely better than mine (I used the same 4 oil colors he uses on those videos for the shadings & highlights, with the exception of the Olive Green, as I don't have it, and have replaced it by my Hooker's Green, very similar), as his mixes apparently don't start drying during the session, which doesn't happen in my case.

Anyway, any hints, suggestions, advice on how I could improve, would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Dolf
  2. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Not much done lately... :oops:

Anyway, after re-doing the shades & highlights on the entire uniform (which IMO are now complete), had to re-do the buttons, the Iron Cross, the Badge on his left side, the red bands on his trousers, the leather parts (belt and straps for the binoculars) ... and finally started the Schirmmütze, including the gold pipping. The eagle on the cap is a Verlinden decal (the one on the right side of his jacket has been hand painted, with Humbrol enamel #16) . As is the band with the German colors on his chest, also a Verlinden decal.

Still a lot to do, such as the face painting ( :nailbiting: ), the gold on his epaulettes, a few other details. I won't be able to hand paint the gold symbols on his collar... will have to try to get some decals on this scale.

IMG_2016 copy.jpg

IMG_2017 copy.jpg

IMG_2018 copy.jpg

IMG_2019 copy.jpg

IMG_2020 copy.jpg

Testing the red and black background on a new mini photo studio I got recently. I love the red color anyway, my favorite color I guess. For the cap I noticed that the red background it's not ok, as it changes the actual colors of the cap, so black is fine. For the rest of the figure this red background looks fine to me.

Cheers!

Dolf
  3. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    A few more steps to go and I'll call this one a finish (even thought I still need to fix a few things I only noticed with the recent pics taken... :rolleyes: ) . But overall it's almost finished, and I'm starting the little base for him to stand on.

IMG_2045 copy.jpg

Cheers!

Dolf
    harrytheheid likes this.