1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP My Kingdom for a horse

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DioramaArt, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Some nice scratch work there, in particular the helmet with the crown. Hopefully you will be at bugle call.
    Nap and DioramaArt like this.
  2. NeilW Active Member

United-Kingdom
    DioramaArt likes this.
  3. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Bob :)
  4. santi fernandez Active Member

Spain
    In each job you overcome ... more difficulty and more quality.
    I expect more progress
    Santi.
    DioramaArt likes this.
  5. Mookie Active Member

Really great work Marcus.You certainly have a flair for diorama projects.
    I like ot.
    Richsrd
    DioramaArt likes this.
  6. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, will post an update soon.
  7. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks mate, appreciated. :)
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    Well, that's weird I had posted on here I thought, but it's vanished. For the king figure I would add a bevor to his armour, if you hadn't already planned it. Unlikely a man of his rank would not have one
    Steve
    [IMG]
    DioramaArt likes this.
  9. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I had planned to add the bevor, not quite so prominent to cover half his face for artist reasons but he will have one.

I like the look from the hollow crown series.

A47A4B34-806F-4AE0-93EC-9EAE72CE9BDA.jpeg
    Helm likes this.
  10. Helm A Fixture

England
    You'll have the purists in tears then! :ROFLMAO: might I suggest you have him lean forward slightly that would cause a loosely laced or one with damaged lacing to slip down/forward exposing the face more. I forgot to add in my original post that it looks great so far
    (y)
    Steve
  11. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I think what will work is Bevor with lowered Gorget, I’m doing him without helmet. Again slightly artistic, but with missing armour on one arm it will be his final moments after a hard hand to hand battle.
    Helm likes this.
  12. NeilW Active Member

United-Kingdom
    There's a Richard III Society lecture on likely adaptations to his armour (not many) here:
    https://kingrichardarmitage.rgcwp.com/history/king-richard-iii-found/king-richards-armour/

The Society's website is:
    http://www.richardiii.net/index.php
    and its Journal here:
    http://www.thericardian.online/the_ricardian.php

My old drinking buddy and historian (expert on the period) wrote for the latter and always reckoned that Richard was probably responsible for the Princes' murders out of political expediency but otherwise was a good leader and king (but he would say that as he was from Yorkshire... and I'm Lankie).
    Nap and DioramaArt like this.
  13. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    There is a link on You Tube of a documentary regarding that guy who was in the Daily Telegraph mentioned earlier.
    Richard 111 Lost Evidence.There is a lot with that title,but if you keep looking you'll get the documentary.
    DioramaArt likes this.
  14. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, some really useful links and a suggested all round image of the armour Richard would have worn, I’m using that as guide.
  15. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
  16. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Progressed the figures in the scene, still a way to go but the vignette is starting to look more medieval, the Armour I’m creating for Richard III is based on forensic archeology from the battle.

1204A9A5-26A2-4345-A302-C8EC2DF866C2.jpeg 5CB9BCE4-3A64-4D94-8981-C9D260BA6927.png 38452827-03C5-4A08-8585-4F239AA1AF61.png F2F271A3-C0C9-4FAE-9C91-047BF5FE0F1B.jpeg 671F995C-5C38-4C0B-B2FE-FED16E493BB2.png 615B2A4F-314D-4F5D-AC3D-00168BA0F444.png
  17. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looking better now and as you say ' medieval ' looking. This to me is the dark arts.
    Looking forward to more progress.
    DioramaArt and harrytheheid like this.
  18. Chris Oldfield Active Member

England
    This is looking great Marcus - I love the way you create armour & clothing from Greenstuff, a true artform.
    DioramaArt and harrytheheid like this.
  19. NeilW Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Being pedantic again, but as I understand it, it would be unlikely for Richard to carry a shield, especially if on foot.

By this time fighting on foot in plate armour with two handed pole arms and the one and a half swords was common for high status bods (others, as you've portrayed wore brigandines or gambesons or at best, part -armour) and shields had by then faded out (except for parades and tournaments). While Richard would have started off mounted, the mounted troops were generally saved as a shock/pursuit force (as per Richard's charges at Bosworth). Even if Richard had carried one when mounted, he'd probably have discarded it once he lost his horse.

One claim is that a Welshman, Rhys ap Maredudd killed Richard with a halberd, another is that it was Sir Rhys ap Thomas whilst a third names Englishman, Thomas Woodshawe. If the truth be known it's likely that any or all of these may have been involved in the final melee (aka brawl) that lead to his death, so it may be interesting to track them down and see if you could find out enough to depict them as the trio in the vignette (Wiki has a little about the first two).

As an aside, the rank and file would be likely to be wearing livery, or at least a leaders badge, and it appears that helmets were often painted to denote which company you served. Ref this, there's a fascinating outfit, The Company of Saynte George who re-enact a late C15th artillery company (albeit Burgundian) and publish a clothing guide which gives good insights into clothing of the period.

They are currently re-building their website but their Facebook is here: https://www.facebook.com/CompanyofStGeorge/

I hope this site's link to the clothing guide is pukka:
    St George.JPG
  20. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the info, as Richard charged into battle on horseback, not a common event for British knights and certainly a rash event for a king exposing himself to mortal danger in a desperate fight to the death, using what was available to defend himself would be the obvious choice, his horse is close by and a shield would be available hence why I’ve included. The guy coming at Richard is Rhys, in fact I’ve also depicted the legless Sir Percival Thirlwall (bottom right) he will have Richards royal banner draped over him.

The foot-soldiers including Rhys Ap Maredudd were retainers for Sir William Stanley, distinctive by their red livery and badge of silver harts head, giving you some idea of their future clothing colour. It was never written in official records that Richard was struck down by common soldiers for obvious reasons of nobility.

The likelihood is Richard met his end without his helmet (it will be in the mud with crown) based on the forensic studies made by Leicester university and the archeology team who unearthed his remains, the fatal blows were likely by a halbert blow to the back of the head, with a second blow by a pointed weapon to the back of the head, again this is why both figures are behind the king in my scene. The third foot soldier is being fought by Richard, showing his bravery in the melee.

:)
    Nap, blaster and NeilW like this.