1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!
  2. Submissions for October Figure of the Month (FOTM) are now open. Visit the FOTM forum to enter a model or see entries and vote! FOTM October

WIP My Kingdom for a horse

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DioramaArt, Aug 8, 2019.

1. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Battle of Bosworth 1485 - last moments of Richard III

Started work on a small 1/35 vignette, similar in look (medieval) to my last work, set in the final moments of Richard III, Battle of Bosworth 1485 during the war of the Roses. The last king of England to die in battle on English soil.

All the figures will be turned into Billmen with the central figure a knight, Richard having just lost his horse.

Converting and resculpting 1/35 Masterbox horses and Miniart figures with Hornet heads.

FD62936A-CD28-45D2-9ED9-CE18F19467BA.jpeg D47DC05F-D7FE-4789-BCF4-BBBD8836D997.jpeg A07F75F9-62FE-4FF1-A3BF-8B10B0F7FD66.jpeg 8AEE4F41-5865-4104-BB1B-DCEF1C6DBF8E.jpeg 5ACE049D-0F2B-46F5-B0F4-90E7CB564F5E.jpeg 41A44FDF-AD08-453F-8A4A-0606BA42F55E.jpeg
    marco55, KenBoyle, Edorta and 17 others like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Not my period but this looks very good, following.
    (Where is the car park).
    NeilW, DioramaArt and Scotty like this.
  3. Tannvargur New Member

Sweden
    Looking forward to follow this build. Always interesting to see how people have been thinking when they have decided to do a diorama. So many interesting aspects to have in mind when the little story is being told. Good luck!

Oskar
    DioramaArt and Nap like this.
  4. Warren SMITH PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Love your work...
    DioramaArt likes this.
  5. Chris Oldfield Active Member

England
    Although it's not my period of interest either Marcus, I love the way you create your figures & get them to interact together. The scratchbuilt weapons are extremely good!
    DioramaArt likes this.
  6. harrytheheid PlanetFigure Supporter

China
    I can only echo the comments made already.
    Really looking forward to seeing this finished.
    (y)
    DioramaArt likes this.
  7. Nap Forum Moderator

England

Agree there H

Marcus has a real talent for the modelling like this ....good at storytelling in a project

All those weapons handmade as well!!!!

Too many legs for me mate

" Car Park "

.......outside my office first thing before assembly starts .....

Nap
    DioramaArt likes this.
  8. NeilW Active Member

United-Kingdom
    A great idea: you seem to come up with obvious sounding projects that nobody else seems to have thought of :)

Funnily enough I've just been browsing through the comments on Steve's poll on historicalaccuracy: https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/poll-how-important-is-historical-accuracy-to-you.78495/page-3

So, in line with the Leicester car park findings, will Richard have a spinal deformity (not necessarily 'crouch-backed, but certainly lost height and, like me, uneven shoulders)?

... it doesn't look like it so far?

See:
    https://www.livescience.com/45974-model-twisted-richard-iii-spine.html

In 1490, just five years after Richard's death in battle, however, medieval historian John Rous described the king as a small man with "unequal shoulders, the right higher and the left lower." This description is consistent with scoliosis, a condition in which the spine curves sideways.
    Richard III's rediscovered skeleton revealed that the king did, in fact, have scoliosis. Now, researchers led by University of Leicester bioarchaeologist Jo Appleby reveals the details of his condition...
    ... "The condition would have meant that his trunk was short in comparison to the length of his limbs and his right shoulder would have been slightly higher than the left," she said, "but this could have been disguised by custom-made armor and by having a good tailor."
    and: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2643056/Richard-III-wasnt-hunchback-did-scoliosis-scans-reveal.html

9. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Good points, I intend to shorten Richards Torso slightly, but for artistic reasons (he is the central figure) I don’t want him significantly shorter than the other figures, also I’m yet to make the body armour for him so supporting/covering any obvious physical abnormality. Accounts indicate Richard fought bravely till the last moment.
    DEL, brian and NeilW like this.
  10. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the support guys :)
  11. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Did an SBS on how to make a Sword if it’s any use to anyone.

BF23DCB8-AC46-4964-9789-277B2DCDCC2E.jpeg 442C8FA8-FC3C-4A05-B465-B9A47F28A353.jpeg

Also making helmet and crown for the king.

94270E39-F55C-4D2A-864D-D42A3F6B04CD.png F7354D42-FD2D-47B5-97DA-29EA712C9573.png
    Theodoros, Nap, Martin64 and 6 others like this.
  12. NeilW Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Sounds sensible and, yes, all reports suggest that he was an intrepid fighter.
    I suppose you could get over the height issue by putting him on slightly higher ground?
    Just a thought, but as you do such radical surgery and use Hornet heads/hands, might you as well scratchbuild the figures themselves?
    KenBoyle and DioramaArt like this.
  13. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Look forward to seeing your progress.One of my favourite periods ,especially Richard 111.I watched a programme on tv recently which took a young fella with the same condition as Richard had,and made taylor made armour for him.They then had him go through a personal training regime,as well as teaching him how to ride a horse.He was able to carry out all battle situations ,on foot,as well as jousting with a lance.Once he was fully armoured you wouldn't notice anything different from anyone else,other than he was slightly smaller,but not by much.
    I personnally wouldn't shorten him,as you would lose the focal point of your diorama,which is Richard
    DEL and DioramaArt like this.
  14. NeilW Active Member

United-Kingdom
    This guy I assume: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/11...ior-...-and-his-body-double-can-prove-it.html

As stated, the loss of height seems to have been the main visible issue. I have a 'lost' 2-3" as well as uneven shoulders and, in my case, hips due to my skeletal deformity (not scoliosis), so I can never buy armour off-the-peg either :grumpy:.

Nevertheless, as the Leicester dig testifies, he was disabled enough to get an unlimited duration and free parking space (not so much white boar, more of a blue badge) ;)
    DioramaArt likes this.
  15. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I plan to set the scene in the marsh, at best this would be flat, I could do slightly sloping backwards as some accounts indicate the fighting took place on the edge of the marsh itself. That would make Richard stand out a little (excuse the pun) being in the foreground.
    NeilW likes this.
  16. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank you for the link, it ties I with what I’ve read so far, the armour worn by Richard would not only protect him, it would act as exoskeleton supporting any natural weakness and deformity in his spine. To anyone who didn’t know he would stand proud as the warrior king he was.

Ha haaa, love the bit about the parking badge.

37C88EB4-1753-4002-A489-94FD2F34964E.jpeg
    Nap and NeilW like this.
  17. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    It’s a confidence thing to do the whole figure sculpting, it’s something I want to try soon.
    NeilW likes this.
  18. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank you, yes I was uncertain in shortening him, in armour I figured that would disguise any abnormality or height issue as well as maintaining focus for the viewer on the central figure in the scene.
  19. NeilW Active Member

United-Kingdom
    ... well you do pretty well with the other stuff (y)

You could try pose-able mannequins but from what I see they're disproportionately expensive, otherwise this link gives step by step guide on making a basic body which can then be posed:
    https://rover-miniatures.com/scratchbuilding-with-a-mannequin.html

Years since I've done it, but these give good refs for armature making and scales:
    https://imgur.com/uD8lJFu (click on the image to enlarge)
    https://davidneat.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/morgan-keith-armature-diagram.jpg
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/20055160810311384/
    DioramaArt likes this.
  20. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom

Thanks for the links :)