1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique My Grandfather's Grandfather's Grandfather

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Helm A Fixture

England
    Very nice indeed Colin I know how big a change is going to a bust mate you seem to have cracked it a lot better than me, hard to believe it's done in acrylics as well (y)

Steve
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Rick and Zeno
    Too bad about Guelph... yeah, Hamilton and Ajax it is :(
  3. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely stuff mate. Great work.
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Great job on the face Colin. I like the way you've not overshaded it at this stage.
    Your plan to revisit it if required once you've 'dressed' him is the way to go, particularly when your working from as good a result as this...safety first (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Wow Colin, really nice job mate!!!!.
    I agree, the eyes looks great on this bust.
    regards
  6. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Hi Colin. Nice work!! Could you please share your paint mix for the fleshtones?

Thanks
    Gary
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Gary
    Paints are Vallejo acrylics... I started with a base of beige red, worked up highlights by adding basic skintone to the beige red, after 2 or 3 passes I added carmine to basic skintone and touched around nose ears tops of cheeks and forehead, then more highs. Royal purple was washed under eyes (we do like our vodka) then washed with a middle highlight to soften the purple. Shadows were started with 50/50 mix of beige red and burnt cadmium red and worked down by adding more burnt cad red. The hard transistions were glazed with a middle highlight. Highest points were touched with straight basic skintone then glazed again.
    I went at this kinda blind and without a plan. Basically transposed the mix I use for 54 and 75mm (thanx to Alex M) and just kept going back and forth between highs and lows and glazing to keep it smooth (a la Colin F). For my first shot at this scale, I'm pretty happy though more than once it nearly went out the window :wtf:

Thanx for your interest

Colin
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The Eyes have it (y)

Ron
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    You certainly are in a purple patch productive phase mate, long may it continue. That face is very natural - I can only sit and be envious.
    cheers
    Richie(y)
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thank you so much Ron and Ritchie... the compliments mean a lot from the likes of you two rogues.
    I don't know if I'm a bust painting convert but I admit it's more fun than I thought it would be.

Thanx for looking in

Colin