1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP My Friend, the Enemy ACW

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ErGide72, Nov 6, 2017.

1. ErGide72 A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Planeteers,

Time for another project, albeit a small and rather simple one....:cautious:
    The ACW has always interested me in one way or another, so couldn't resist...:D

Inspiration
    [IMG]

WIP
    [IMG]

Happy modelling

Cheers
    Erik
    napoleonpeart, MacCoy, Grod and 12 others like this.
  2. jai A Fixture

Italy
    beautiful project
    ErGide72 likes this.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    What a great idea for a Civil War vignette!

All the best,
    Dan
    ErGide72 likes this.
  4. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Apparently this occurred quite a bit during the war, whenJonny Reb had plenty of tobacco and Billy yank had plenty of coffee, the two would come together to exchange goods. Often when on sentry duty, in the middle of the night.
    Excellent idea and I like it already. waiting to see the end result.
    clrsgt, Scotty and ErGide72 like this.
  5. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Yes Bob that was the case..often incurring the ire of commanders..

Another approach..think about these same figures, aged and bent, meeting at a memorial..there are some good photos out there..
    clrsgt and ErGide72 like this.
  6. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    The ice and water is going to be fun. It will give the figures that something extra.

Andrew
    ErGide72 likes this.
  7. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    The Blue and The Gray movie, which was aired back in the 80's featured a similar meeting between Yankees and Rebs. Great idea for a vignette! (y) Look forward to seeing it come together!

Best of Everything, Terry Martin-member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society
    clrsgt, ErGide72 and Viking Bob like this.
  8. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    There is a movie called Gods and Generals, that is a prequel to the classic Gettysburg, but not as near as good. Anyway, in the movie there is a scene depicting this

Borek and ErGide72 like this.
  9. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Yes..it’s indeed got some good bits...there is also some explanation in Ron Chernows book...seems these get together frequently occurred during those mid battle truces established to gather wounded and dead...
    ErGide72 and Dan Morton like this.
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    The late Shelby Foote relates some similar incidents in his books on the Civil War and in Ken Burns documentary.

All the best,
    Dan
    Blind Pew, clrsgt and ErGide72 like this.
  11. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Also Hardtack and Coffee, a classic civil war memoir by John D, Billings
    ErGide72 likes this.
  12. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Erik, I tried but can’t make out the artist signature on the painting....it’s got an unusual for ACW material, almost Christmas card look
  13. ErGide72 A Fixture

Netherlands
    Got some spare time today...:D

[IMG]

@Old Johnny:
    As a matter affect, I do have several pics and an idea for a vignette this way. Somewhere in the future... maybe...:cautious:
    Maybe look here https://kingjamesgalleries.com/products/my-friend-the-enemy
    Isn't really important, like the look of it with that snow and ice. Something Christmas indeed, maybe I'll try and get this done for the Holidays :D;)
    @Andrew;
    Yes, will be the first time doing water. Fingers crossed...:cautious:

cheers
    Erik
    Borek, Oda and Old johnny like this.
  14. Old Pete Active Member

Scotland
    I am sure the painting is by Mort Knutlser I may have miss spelt his name.Spelling was never my strong pointLOL:(
    George
  15. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Checked out his work...a second Norman Rockwell maybe not, but I like his work...some of it almost comic book...movie posters...neat..and self taught.
    ErGide72 likes this.
  16. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good luck, nice idea. Keep us posted in your progress......(y)
    ErGide72 likes this.
  17. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Definitely Mort Kunstler. Location is the Rappahannock river at Fredericksburg, you can actually see the same buildings, church spires and bridge piers in this period photo:[IMG]

[IMG]
    Borek and ErGide72 like this.
  18. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

It is indeed him..the print is available ..when I saw the image I wasn’t sure where it was supposed to be except for sure wasn’t Vicksburg
    ErGide72 likes this.
  19. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Nice idea and first sculptwork. I am also very curious to rendering water and stones on the base.

Cheers Borek
    ErGide72 likes this.
  20. ErGide72 A Fixture

Netherlands
    Small update!

Union soldiers almost done, Confederate WIP.
    Also startet on the base (plastic card walls will be removed of course once I get the water done...:nailbiting: )
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Erik