1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My first WIP - Falkar (Andrea, 54mm)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Eludia, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi all,

I've plucked up the courage to post my first WIP. Aplologies in advance are due for the crappy pictures but I'm not a photographer and only have a point 'n' shoot camera. The figure is also a bit messy at this stage but (hopefully) he'll look a bit neater as I progress. He looks better at normal viewing distance too, macro mode is very unforgiving I think.

Anyhoo, he is called Falkar, Wandering Sword by Andrea in 54mm. I've seen a few versions of this figure on this and other sites so I guess its fairly popular. I decided to give him leather armour because if I gave him mail and plate he'd be up to his armpits in the snow because he's also carrying a fair old burden on his back (not shown in these pics). So in the interests of common sense I ditched the plate and painted it as leather.

A big thanks to Ron Tamburrini for the inspiration for the leather armour in his Verlinden Pilot thread:
    http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/verlinden-pilot-update.61852/

Painted in oils and acrylics. Comments very welcome, I'm still learning.

DSCF0996.JPG DSCF0997.JPG DSCF0994.JPG DSCF0995.JPG

Hope you like it,
    Billy
    garyhiggins, Borek, Joe55 and 2 others like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Billy the metals seems to me with a very good looking. Following!!!

Pedro
    Eludia likes this.
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    well Billy it looks like you got the hang of it ,look forward to the finish and setup .

Ron
    Eludia likes this.
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks very nice to me, only real thing I can see worth correcting is the cloth looks a little glossy which might be the light on it ( I'm no photographer either mate ;) ) if not a touch of X21 or your matting agent of choice is the key ( I've noticed purple seems to be a tad glossier than other colours) otherwise looks quality Billy (y)
    Steve
    Eludia likes this.
  5. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'm planning to give the cloth and other areas that need it coat of vallejo matt varnish at a later stage (I always forget to add it at the painting stage). I thin my paint with vallejo thinners and it seems to give most paints a satin sheen. The brown sand on his head is the perfect example, it dries dead flat without the thinner added but add a drop or two of thinner and he looks very shiny.

Billy :)
  6. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Billy, use a drop of Tamiya flesh base in vallejo colours and you will see all colors drying matt.;)

Cheers
    Eludia likes this.
  7. swralph A Fixture

I like the way you have done the leather effect on the armour(y)
    Eludia likes this.
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    Coming back to this I'd be tempted to try a different coloured wash to the metals, a green or red or blue to give it a more "fantasy" feel rather than the normal black/grey
    Steve
    Eludia likes this.
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Nice leather work Billy
    Eludia likes this.
  10. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A little more progress and more crappy pictures.

After much trial and error I decided to go with the same purple for his undertunic (probably not even a real word) as I have for his cloak, anything else I tried just looked wrong. So the base is on ready for shades and lights.

Also finished his head. I think it could be better but I'm calling it done. This is the point where I usually think "I'll just sort out that wonky right eye" and then I screw everything up with one brush stroke. But not this time, I'm not going to do any more major changes to his head, he's already been in the paint stripper twice before this round. He looks ok at normal viewing distance and thats fine by me for now.

As always, any comments are very welcome.

Billy :)

DSCF0998.JPG DSCF0999.JPG DSCF1000.JPG
    Paul Kernan and Borek like this.
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks well Billy
    Steve
    Eludia likes this.
  12. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Paint used so far (Vallejo acrylics, W&N water mixable oils):

Flesh: Base - Brown Sand 876, highlighted with base + Basic Skintone 815, shaded with base + Burnt Cad. Red 814
    Eyes: Basic Skintone 815. Dark Prussian Blue 899
    Leather: Burnt Umber oil over Brown Sand 876 base
    Purples: Base - Royal Purple 810, highlighted with base + Sunny Skin Tone 845, shaded with base + black (any black will do I s'pose, I've use Vallejo Model Air 057)
    Metals: Base - black, highlighted with Gungrey and Chrome (Vallejo Model Air 072 and 064). The VMA metallics are excellent IMHO, it is just the right consistency and the pigment is super fine. The metallic starter set is well worth the investment.

Billy :D
    Borek likes this.
  13. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Nice work, and exhaustive color information:). Thanx. Cheers Borek
  14. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Billy, he's looking good so far, especially the leatherwork.
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Eludia likes this.
  15. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A bit more progress...

He's coming together now but still far from finished. Still got a bit of work to do on highlights/shades on cloak/pelt. I haven't even started his shield arm or the extras that attach to his back yet. I picked up a snow and ice kit for the base from Deluxe Materials, looking forward to trying that out.

Comments welcome :)

DSCF1019.JPG DSCF1020.JPG DSCF1021.JPG DSCF1022.JPG

Cheers,
    Billy

p.s. I like the changes to the file upload stuff, its nice to be able to upload multiple pics at same time.
  16. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Really looking good.
    Best wishes,Gary.
    Eludia likes this.