1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP My first try with oil paints

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Odi.et.amo, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Odi.et.amo Member

Czech-Republic
    Hello again
    I finally started painting with oil and here's my first "result". It's a standart Imperial Guard miniature from Games Workshop. I know the paintjob is ugly but I'm still a beginner and I hope it will get better over time. I used a lamp as a guide for placing highlights. Shadows are not done yet on the photos but judging from the "mighty lamp" they are minority on those green armor parts. I made progress today but I cannot find my camera battery so i'll post more pictures tommorow probably. The face is crap i was eager to try wiping technique but it didnt work so I'll redo it once it¨s dry.

Attached Files:

2. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Ivo

but is not so bad for the first attempt.
    How you tried to wipe technique for?
    The best option is to paint in oil, the main color thinly, let dry, then apply undiluted light color and wipe with a dry brush in the shadow direction. Shadow vice versa. Not wash out the wiping brush until you're done.

Cheers

Hendryk
  3. Einion Well-Known Member

That looks good, and not just for a first attempt; many people who already paint in oils struggle to use them for pieces this small.

On the lighting, you should expect to add further highlights later on just as you would with shadows, over the dry base. As colours subdue a bit when the paint dries and goes matt you'll often realise you need to add a few lighter and darker touches for there to be enough contrast (and the smaller the model the more contrast you generally aim for).

Einion
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I think it is a good start...........Dog looks bored though:D:D:D

Keith
    Meehan34 and (deleted user) like this.
  5. Odi.et.amo Member

Czech-Republic
    Thank you guys I didn't expect such positive reactions! But let's be honest, there are a lot of mistakes. The helmet requires more blending it's done uncorrectly. Also I was told that blending on breast plates is chaotit so I need to work on that. And there's too much oil paint on it I must use a different aproach of basecoating. Well, there is a lot of work ahead of me but I'll keep on practicing and I'll get better eventually. I worked on trousers few days ago so I will post more pictures once I get my camera back online.
    Thank you again to all of you

P.S. About the dog, I think he just passed out once he saw the paintjob :D
    Meehan34 and (deleted user) like this.