1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My first three 120mm figures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi to everyone,
    I have just started modelling in the last year and this is my first posting. I would like some constructive critique on my first three 120mm scale figures. I would also like some tips on how to photograph. (background & lighting for the best effects)
    My shading and highlights on my figures between my eyes and the camera seems worlds apart!
    Please be very honest as I would love to improve my skills. I have seen a lot of work on the planet and I must say I am in awe of my peers.
    look forward to your comments
    best wishes
    Richie
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Richard,
    If you want some constructive critique you can start with uploading pictures from your figures.
    There is a section on PF about how to photograph your figures

Marc
  3. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Richard,

Look forward to seeing some pictures of your work, I'm sure everyone on planet will be very helpful.

Keith
  4. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie,:)
    It's time to bite the bullet & post a couple of pics so we can address your concerns. There a few tips on photography in the forumwhich are worth a good read.
    I see you are just down the road from me in Hartlepool as I am in Middlesbrough.
    I will send you a PM .(y)
    Mark
  5. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pics Richie and you will get all the support you need.

Dave
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Richie has posted his pictures in his gallery, you need to follow the link beneath where it says his location.

Welcome to Pf Richie. :) It might be better if you posted your pics as part of a thread.

Roger
  7. ryall Active Member

New_Zealand
    They must be alot smaller than 120mm or even 1/72 :)
  8. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi ya Richie, nice work for your initial three figures. From what I can see you have a good basic handle on how to paint. Your flesh tones are quite good and with a little more contrast in your shading will look even better. We do need to know what paints you are using, acrylic or oils, then we can go about telling you how to refine them.
    Your two German figures have the uniform done very well but the main thing that stands out is the eyes, they are too big and tend to pop out at you, whereas your Brittish Para has the eyes done very well.
    This is just a start, but with more info on what you have used, we will give you tips on improving.
    Great to have you here
    Ben
    billyturnip likes this.
  9. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hi again Richie!

Sorry for the monkeyhanger question but I just couldnt resist when I saw your post. No harm intended.

Good to see the pictures of your work. I would like to say that in my opinon the face of the Brit and the trousers of the German Para are the best of your work as far as the pictures tells.

Do you prime you figures and what colours do you paint with? In some pictures it looks like the paint do not fully cover? Or is it some weathering effect?

Also, what do you want to improve to start with, let us know.

As mentioned I agree regarding the comments of the eyes, perhaps its better to start painting the slot just plain black, darkbrown or darkblue and fill in with the whites after on the side or just one side if you want the figure looking to the side. Remember that the whites should only be about 1/3 together compared to the size of the pupil/eye. Also dont use plain white for the whites, mix the white with at least 1/3 flesh.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  10. Dennis Active Member

England
    Hello Richie and welcome to PF well done for having the guts to post mate. If you are interested you could come along to the Darlington Military Modelling Society monthly meeting which occurs on the second Friday of every month from 19:30 to 21:30 at the Art Centre Vante Terrace Darlington. If you want more info PM me.
    Regards
    Dennis
  11. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi to everyone
    Thank you for your replies, sorry about missing the link, I posted photo's in my gallery initially.
    All my figures have been primed with Halford's grey car primer. I use Vallejo acrylic model colours, it is the first time I have ever used this medium. I do have some oil paints but have not used these as yet, I did not know how the two mediums would react together!
    I have been sent some information from Mark, thanks Mark, about setting up figures for photography. I will use this in the near future and not just point, click and hope for the best.
    I will look at the comments so far with a view to tweaking these 3 initial models and carry these forward on future projects. I welcome more critique as I would love to improve my standard of painting.
    Janne don't worry about the monkey hanger jokes, most welcome, we are the first ones to rib ourselves about that one.
    thanks again in anticipation of further responses.
    best wishes
    Richie

Attached Files:

12. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richard...not bad for first attempts..in my opinion they would start to improve with less sheen to the colors. I use vallejo acrylics sometimes..and find you really have to shake the bottles to get a matte finish..unlike some others..work on getting the sheen down and your figs will improve dramatically...and ask away for advice...there are plenty here that can help and advise....keep painting mate...!!!!..actually..if you have an airbrush..give them a coat of matte varnish...then you may see what I mean.Work on the overall effect first..then start concentrating on the finer details...
    Steve
  13. ryall Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Richard

I think your figures look pretty good.
    The main thing that stands out for me are the eyes.
    Sometimes its the sculpting but I would make the whites of the eyes smaller and also not so white.........maybe add a little grey to them.
    Also I like to add a very small amount of red( like a very fine light wash) to each corner of the eye
    One more thing add a very thin black line around the top eye lid ( very top of the white of the eye if the figure is big enough to do so)
    Just my thoughts, I try to have a good picture of a real face to look at when painting eyes as I find this helps.

Looking a pics help to explain better

http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakult...nglish/durchschnittsgesichter/m(01-32)_gr.jpg

Keep up the good work, with each figure you will make better faces.
    Also write done the paints and colours you use and the method, as your process changes you remember what you have done right and wrong, this will help for your next figure.

Hope this helps
    Ryally
    http://www.brisbanemodelbuilder.com/
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Richie,

I suppose an honest critique would have to comprise some good news and some bad news.

Let's get the bad news out of the way first.

Yes the eyes are too big and need to be better defined to look realistic. You can improve the eyes significantly by adding a dark line under the upper eye lid. I suggest you spend some time looking at your own eyes in the mirror and observe the size and shape of the iris and pupil.

I think you can also create more contrast in your skin tones to better defining your highlights and shadows. At present, your skin tones are rather mono-chromatic

The shine on the uniforms is also a common problem. Vallejo acrylics should dry reasonably flat, however they do sometimes produce a sheen that can spoil and otherwise good paint job. One way to avoid this is to thoroughly shake the paint in the bottle. Another method is to add a very small drop of Tamiya Flat Clear to your paint mix.

Overall, your painting is fairly typical of a newbie figure modeler, but will certainly improve through practice and time.

In addition to trawling through the many excellent "How to.." articles here on Planet Figure, I would strongly recommend that you look at purchasing some books to learn some of the more advanced painting techniques that are used in figure painting; such as zenithal lighting techniques, glazes and washes.

I can personally recommend Shepard Paines' book "Building and Painting Scale Figures", which I still use almost 20 years after I first bought it. There are many others, but Shep's is the best. Danilo Cartacci's book is also a great "How to.." reference book with great pictures.

I would also recommend you join a club where you can meet and talk to other figure modelers and learn from them.

As for the good news....you will improve in leaps and bounds over the next few years as you define your painting technique. The most important ingredient to have is passion and enthusiasm. Be bold with your contrasts and colours. Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and experiment. The worst that can happen is you make a mess, and you have to start again.

To be a good figure modeler I think you need to have an artists' eye for human faces and anatomy. Observing human faces in various lighting conditions, observing how light catches clothing and skin will greatly improve your awareness of the subjects you are painting.

Like any great adventure, learning how to paint figures is not about reaching a destination, its all about the journey. You've taken some confident steps to begin your journey and I look forward to seeing your next ones.
    Dennis and billyturnip like this.