1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My First Showing

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Karlosfandango, May 7, 2014.

1. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Ok chaps you've probably seen me on here a bit now having my say (all good I hope)
    I've finally got something to show, only my 2nd bust, first wasn't worth it I feel.
    I've been spending some time behind the scenes getting to grips with figures and my new medium, Acrylics. Having come from an armour back ground it's been a completely new challenge for me, a steep curve.
    A big thank you to Carl ( Housecarl ) for being my mentor in my transitioning and to all members here as I learn a lot from watching.
    Same old score regarding photo's, I'm crap, I've a new camera but it's all show and no go as I try to get to grips with it.

Figure is of an Ares Mythlogic Samnite.
    Painted in Acrylics, Printers Inks for the metals and Enamel washes to shade.
    Just a little extra highlighting on the horse hair plume I think to finalise.
    I do feel the photo has washed things out a bit as I think it looks better in the flesh.
    I've some other stuff to follow so stay tuned.
    114.JPG
    113.JPG
    Edorta, sippog, moz and 4 others like this.
  2. swralph A Fixture

It is a nicely painted bust:) ,however I do feel that the cloth and plume is far to glossy try a matt varnish or use a matting medium in your paint
    Cheers
    Ralph
  3. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Ralph, I agree, seems to show more in photos .
    I'm currently painting other subjects and have started using a dose of Tamiya flat base in my paint, seems to work very well. Karl :)
  4. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Nice work Karl!

Looks very good.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  5. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Face looks great! (y)
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The photos don't do it justice.
    It's a lovely piece.(y)
  7. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys for your likes, especially Ralph, Jeff, sd0324 for your comments and of course you Carl, thanks, and I didn't even pay you to say that, lol. :)
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The invoice is in the mail Karl.;)
  9. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    looking good/badger