1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP My First Scratch Built Head- Gsm Billy Mott

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Wings5797, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi everybody,
    It was a long time in the making, at the cost of my adding legs to Carl Reid’s Gordon Highlander Sgt, but here is my very first scratch sculpted head and bust.
    The whole model is made from; various grades of Milliput, 50cm of thin copper wire and a small amount of plasticard. As PF has so many Professional Sculptors on the site it is with much trepidation that I post my Amateur effort.

The subject matter here is of WO! Garrison Sergeant Major (London District) William D G ‘Billy’ Mott OBE MVO Welsh Guards
    He enlisted into the 1st. Battalion Welsh Guards in April 1979 and has served with the Battalion in Belize, Canada, Cyprus, France, Germany, Kenya and the USA. He completed operational tours of Northern Ireland and served in the Falklands during the 1982 conflict.
    He has held the post of instructor at both the Guards Depot, as a Lance Sergeant, and also at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst as Colour Sergeant, Company Sergeant Major and as Regimental Sergeant Major.

Prior to assuming his present appointment as the Garrison Sergeant Major, Headquarters London District, he held the appointment of GSM at Headquarters Northern Ireland.

GSM Mott's first Trooping the Colour Parade as GSM was in June 2003.

He was involved in the ceremonial arrangements for Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's funeral and the Golden Jubilee State Procession and he has also been a pivotal figure in the repatriation ceremonies for those killed in action during operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Since taking up his appointment he has also served in Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Jamaica and Jordan. On each occasion in a ceremonial capacity.

GSM Mott was awarded the OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2007.

For the Royal Wedding of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton in April 2011, GSM Mott was presented with a new insignia of rank reviving the original one made for Sergeant Majors appointed to the Court of King William IV in the early 19th century. It incorporates the Royal Coat of Arms worn by selected Warrant Officers Class 1 of The Household Division, placed over four chevrons sewn in gold thread, the traditional badge of the Sergeant Major. The badge was researched by the staff at The Guards Museum and commissioned by Major General Commanding the Household Division, Major General William Cubitt CBE, before being approved by HM The Queen.

GSM Mott was awarded the MVO in the HM Queens Diamond Jubilee Honours 2012.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    With thanks to Trooping-the-Colour for this potted history.

Attached Files:

2. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Great bust of a superb GSM, will it be going commercial?
    Wings5797 likes this.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Rob,
    Thank you for taking time to look and comment.
    Unfortunately I have not got the where with all to make it a commercial piece.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent likeness Keith.
    Carl.(y)
    Wings5797 likes this.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That is a really impressive piece of work Keith, good work! (y)

Roger.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  6. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Thanks Carl,
    I thought that you would be at Euro this week end emptying your wallet of the hard earned readies?
    Cheers,
    Keith
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Many thanks Roger.
    It was a real task, 10 leeks of all sizes makes your eyes water.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  8. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Very nice work
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,
    Very well done, very, very impressive for the first one. Are you going to paint it up?
    cheers
    Richie

Ooo that's good
    monkey ooo thats good.jpg

WOW
    monkey wow.jpg
    Wings5797 likes this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nothing wrong with that and very Guards-ish if you know what I mean. I can't wait to see it painted up.

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Richie,
    Thank you for your kind words and the Chimps.
    I will be painting it up but I am not looking forward to that gold lace.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    [IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Many thanks Michel.

Thank you Colin,
    Yes I know exactly what you mean. I was intending to make it more Guards ish with the addition of His bearskin cap. When I checked it out He has the biggest bearskin you have ever seen, it comes halfway down His back and all you can see from the front is the brass chin scales.
    Thank you again Guys.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  13. Wellington 33 & 76 Member

United-Kingdom
    What great bit of work, well done on the likeness. Is there any way you could change the head dress etc to become a cold stream guard. Excellent work
  14. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  15. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Mike and Arthur
    Thank you for your positive comments.
    For the work put into this 'specific' model of a well known person there is no chance to change it to a Coldstreamer. This would involve removing and re modeling and positioning seven visible buttons, change the sash to show two hidden buttons, remove the cap badge and re model to the Capstar and bin three days work on the medals, Other than that Yes it is possible.
    The two previous GSMs were Coldstream Guards, Perry Mason and Alexander Dumon, none of which had similar features to Billy Mott. I have a distant plan to sculpt GSM Alex Dumon, so may be the two of you could commission the figure (full length).
    I did refer to these photos and paintings that you posted the link to when I researched this piece. I did think about making the figure full length with the bearsin cap but I couldn't get enough Milliput here in France.
    Thanks for commenting Guys they did make me smile and I will try to accommodate your requests somewhere in the future.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  16. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Many thanks Andrey and Adrian. I am pleased that you liked this sculpt.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Many thanks for taking the time to view this bust Mike.
    I am pleased that you like it.:)
    Cheers.
    Keith