1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My first Post! Provo IRA Character

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by Mark DeDecker, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Helm A Fixture

England
    I appreciate you calling me naive and ignorant cheers, I agree it is time you quit if that's your attitude to other peoples views
    Steve
    jenghiz, Martin64 and Eludia like this.
  2. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    The same on my side when I used the words self righteousness and national hubris... maybe we should agree to disagree while being polite.
    And when we are talking about being polite:
    A new member showed to us his outstanding efforts and asked for hobby-related feedback. Instead he got a lot of one-sided political BS. IMHO we need more new talented members showing their WIP and others offering their support and knowledge. If there is nothing to say about the quality of the sculpt, anatomy, or to push the like-button etc. there is always the option to NOT post a comment.

Cheers, Martin
    Uruk-Hai, JasonB, crf and 2 others like this.
  3. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Getting back to the fig in question...
    I think it would look better wearing a ribbed sweater such as the one the woman holding the gun is wearing in the first pic. Or a leather jacket as in the second. Leave the beret for that touch of military/terrorist/freedom fighter/separatist/ murdering thug/rebel/revolutionary look. I would have her with the rifle slung on her right shoulder and her arm resting on it in a relaxed pose, sort of a juxtaposition of a purse and a military weapon. Sort of like this:
    [IMG]
  4. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    So according to Martin we say nothing? oh the doom of civilisations everywhere. Mark asked for comments and he got them. One sided political BS? I think not. Dont see any politicians posting here ......however If you need an example of political BS here it is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-victims-accuse-former-PM-betraying-them.html

On a personal note: if I had painted or sculpted a figure then posted it here and the subject matter offended even one PF member I would be ripping it down immediately. Just me. Just saying.

On a hobby note I think this will be a commercial disaster, cant see many UK dealers stocking it and the conversion guys will be chopping it up anyway.
    MCPWilk and jakbwrhr like this.
  5. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

No worries, probably never hear from the sculptor again. Good job boys.

Steve Deyo
    garyhiggins, crf and housecarl like this.
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Here we go again.
    Behave or it gets locked.:cautious:
  7. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
    Lock it now...95% 0f these comments were irrelevant to art.
    garyhiggins and napoleonpeart like this.
  8. Mark DeDecker Member

United-States
    Fine with me! Lock it! All I want is art discussion and the sharing of miniature related topics.

-Jason your pose idea is brilliant with the juxtaposition of a purse! Exactly what I was looking for but didn't see! Tip a glass to you tonight!
    garyhiggins and napoleonpeart like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys,

This is a new member who we should welcome showing his skills at sculpting whatever the subject ....lock it and we could loose him IMO .

I too served in NI and saw lots of nasty things , everyone is entitled to their thoughts of course but as said:

A MODELLING FORUM not a political site

Look forward to seeing more from our new member .

Nap
    garyhiggins, JonH and zane666 like this.
  10. Funky50 Guest

Not quite sure what to make of this thread because I'm not a massive fan of 3d printing or the IRA to put it mildly as stated before ,I find 3d printing /sculpts all seem to lack something for me that traditional sculpts don't and I can't put my finger on what that is .......as far as the subject goes certainly not one for me or my cabinet but one of the greatest people I have ever admired is Colin Parry who lost his son in the Warrington Bombings and I feel if a man like that can keep his dignity and honour under his own terrible circumstances then surely we can on this forum it is after all just a model by a newcomer who may not understand the depth of feeling this sort of rendition can elicit in us Brits None of us are perfect and that goes for country's to....maybe we should all live and let live......Kevin
  11. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    It is reassuring to see that most Planeteers favor judging a figure on its creative merits, much less on its subject matter, after all we or our fathers were all one's enemies once in history. As a Belgian the history of my tiny country is one of unwanted visitors from the dark ages until now. Slightly off topic maybe, but as a retired army officer having seen service in quite some "small scale wars" and "peace-keeping operations", my favorite quote comes from that great French philosopher and poet Paul Valéry: " La guerre, un massacre de gens qui ne se connaissent pas, au profit de gens qui se connaissent mais ne se massacrent pas."
    Back to the brushes now...
    Mark DeDecker and Funky50 like this.
  12. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Should books and movies where such subjects are shown be forbidden as well?

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    Helm likes this.
  13. Mark DeDecker Member

United-States

I couldn't agree more Kevin. I think there are a couple of reasons for this. First and foremost computers a sterile medium. It lack touch taste and smell. You don't sweat, bleed or leave fingerprints like when you are doing it traditionally. Second there is no breaking lines like in oils or clay. Look close enough at oils and clay it has a relief. Cant get that off of a computer as easily. Also I thing most people because the can work in symmetry in these sculpting programs don't do an asymmetrical pass. This causes a fake "perfect" look. The other thing I find is that most digital people these days are young and have never learned traditional fundamentals. They(only 3d, not all) don't know how to look and see and most importantly feel form or find plumb lines. I fight this daily and strive to get better in both mediums . Having a grasp on this allows people who sculpt traditionally to excel and break the sterile nature of 3D. After all its only pushing buttons. A monkey can do it. Its the main reason I like this forum. So many people doing things the traditional way and bring life to their figures. More 3d people need to study what you guys do!

I do 3d for my job and because its fast that and my eyes are crap. When I want joy and personal sanctification I get dirty with blocks of chavant and a neat glass Scotch.
    After all when the lights go out we still have out clay and paints! And when my hard drive crashes I lose everything while my bronze will be around long after I am gone.
    M
    garyhiggins, Funky50, Eludia and 4 others like this.
  14. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Now if you could just turn this into one of those sexy dancers from River Dances with just a touch of knicker showing everyone would be happy :whistle::rolleyes::rolleyes: .
    chippy
    garyhiggins, baronband and housecarl like this.
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Mark....I have to say that I hope you roll with the punches and stay with us. I enjoy reading your posts.

Colin
  16. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Gnomon ??? Impressive, I take my hat off.
    It means my comment about printing was stupid (as I assumed), but now I am curious about your working process, how do you plan to make that extra thin fabric of the jacket and skirt into something printable ???
    Dan Morton, Mark DeDecker and sd0324 like this.
  17. Mark DeDecker Member

United-States
    Colin-Thanks I will! Been stop dropping and rollin!

Pokrad- Definitely a valid comment man! Its easier to sculpt on one sided polys to avoid penetration from the back faces. To add thicknes I just take into maya and extrude the faces where there are visible one sided meshes. Sometimes the whole thing. Then i clean up in zbrush after I project the details back from the old mesh. I also sometimes do it in ZB as well. but that can be a gamble. Been working on some of 54mm minis as of late and they prefer about a 1.5mm thickness on the edges (your printer will dictate that to you). So i make a cube in maya of that dimension to use as a measuring device.
    -Keep your hat on my friend!
    Mark
  18. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mark, I am looking forward to more figures from you!
    Pete
  19. Anthony New Member

A lot of the negative discussion here has been very disappointing. Painting historical miniatures is just that - history. It presents how things appeared. We need to remember what both the evil and the good looked like and not forget. And the more vivid it is rendered, the better we will remember.
    Babelfish likes this.
  20. mash3d Member

As far as the figure it self goes the skirt I think is a bit too short.
    The folds make it look like it's made out of very stiff fabric but it's too thin looking to be stiff.
    I think it most likely would have been made out of wool or polyester in the early 70's.
    So there would be less folds and what folds there are would be more subtle.
    If you look at a kilt there are no folds unless they are added by pleating.
    Most skirts just hang stright down unless the folds are sown in by bunching at the top.
    Take a look at Slewys clothes tutorial and try out the brushes he has for download.

http://www.selwy.com/2009/zbrush-clothes-tutorial/

To sclupt thick polys in zbrush without affecting the backside you need to turn on Brush/Automasking/backface Mask
    The jacket seems to fit just a little too well.
    I think the jacket would proably have been a be a size too big for her.
    The Topology on the rifle is good.

Oddly I've noticed the facts of history dosen't seem to slow down the production of Nazi figures or WWII German Wehrmacht figures.
    pgarri27 and Helm like this.