1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My first mounted knight

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, Oct 26, 2006.

1. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Hello Guys,

Finally i finished my mounted knight. It is from Pegaso the Hochmeister of Teutonic Order. The boxart is from Mike Blank and he painted it Black and White.
    As you already know i cannot paint white :angry: as i want.
    So therefore i bought me a book about medieval heraldic and this one is painted in gold and blue. There should be a drawing on the blue, but i find that to hard for my skills.
    Therefore i painted it only gold and blue.
    We had alot of discussion at our club about the gold, some said it should be yellow, others don't like the combination.
    Anyway, i'm satisfied and i look at him as a KNIGHT AT TOURNAMENT

Marc
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. arthur Member

Canada
    Marc,
    Nice figure :)
    Great colour combination although the "gold" could be an issue.
    You have managed to finish a mounted knight well before me,...I am struggling with 2 of them for over 3 years now :(
    Cheers,
    A.
  3. dimgall Active Member

Greece
    very good marc .keep on!!!
  4. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Arthur,
    Thanks for the encouraging words. It keeps me going.

For the mounted knights, it is just starting and trying to finish them :) :)

Marc
  5. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Dim,

Thank you very much. Most apricate.

Marc
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Marc I really like what I see. The color combinations I believe that it's a matter of taste.. and if you like it... then it's fine. I also believe that you did good that you didn't try a painting on the shield or horse cover, since you are not confitable with that, but I'm sure that you could do something simple, just to give that blue and gold something extra. :)
    Lastly I believe though that it's from the photos, the blues look really satin/glossy to me.
    Take care my friend, and keep up the good work.

Xenofon
  7. Hardy Guest

HI Marc, great work mate and great to talk with you at euro. Hardy
  8. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Looks great, like he stepped out of the Manessische Liederhandschrift.
    As for the gold color, ask yourself, "who am I painting for?"
    Is a satin finish material out of order for a 13thc. german knight? Maybe not so.

Satin is a fabric made with a satin weave, a lustrous face, and dull a back. The principal characteristic of the satin weave is its smoothness. The smooth surface of the satin weave is produced by passing the warp yarns over a number of filling yarns, keeping the interlacing to a minimum. The reflection of light by the exposed yarns gives the satin weave its sheen. Because of this weaving process, satin is a more delicate fabric, therefore your bridal satin sheets and bridal satin comforters should be handled with care. Satin's richness comes from the shine. The word satin is derived from the name of the Chinese seaport Chüanchow, formerly called Zaytun, from which this type of fabric was first exported in the Middle Ages. Satin was first woven by the ancient silk weavers of China and was greatly desired by early Greeks and Romans. In the Middle Ages satin, known as zatoni (from the name of a Chinese town) and samite, was rare and costly and was used mostly for church or royal garments. As the secrets of silk making were carried westward, satins were woven in Genoa and Florence, then at Lyons and in England in the 15th century.

To nit pick, would it be used for livery or a horses caparison?, most likely not. But since Tournaments were often comprised of great displays of pagaentry and who could out "pimp" who its not beyond the realm of possibility. Read about the exploits of Ulrich von Lichtensteine and I think you'll feel pretty comfortable with the knowledge that had they had christmas tree lights, neon and a booming sound system, they'd have used it.
  9. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    I think you have handled a complex piece very well.

The horse and panoply is (y) very attractive.

if you enjoyed it, thanks for sharing!

Keith
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marc,
    nicely done. I like the blue and gold combo. If you enjoyed painting this piece, that's all that really matters! If you were striving for absolute acuracy, some may say you are a bit out of bounds. As long as you like it, who cares! This guy strikes a fine pose, and you have done an admirable job on him!

Jay H.
    OKC
  11. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Marc, my friend, without a doubt your best figure to date, you did a very good job.
    I have seen you progress over trhe last couple of years and I must t say you have made great progress.
    As for the glossy blues, the paint is probably still wet.

Keep up the good work and keep them coming.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  12. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice work my friend,keep up!
    christos
  13. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Mounted figures are always a harder jobthan the foot ones. You did youreffort and the matter is if you re satisfied with the result. Completing a figure like this is always good experience and will lead you to the next one ,withmnore confidence. I like the color combination, and as Xenofon said some simple designs would even enhance the total picture.
  14. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Marc
    compliments a good Work
    it seems little I polish on the same gualdrappa but to be the beautiful one ;)

MAB :)
  15. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Xenofon,

Thanks. I apreciate your comment. About the glossy shine, it is the picture. It is absolutely mat.
    Get the light's to close i think.

Marc
  16. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Thanks for your encouraging words. Apreciat that.
    It was indeed a small but very informative talk at Euro.

Marc
  17. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Mike,

When i started the figure i asked here and there. The crest on the helmet is mentioned in the Manessische Liederhandschrift. I thougth it was Ulrich. He was never seen at Lake Peipasus. So, there it goes wrong with the figure.
    So, i promised myself to paiint a Tournament Knight. Indeed it was disco that time.
    On the book Medieval Heraldic i find this colorcombination. It seems that it belongs to Sir John Fairbanks the first. Again, I, left the heraldic out.
    For the satin, i'm real glad with this reading. Maybe a eyeopener about shining on gambeson, clothing for the figures from the nobel site of popularity.

Thanks for your words.

Marc
  18. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Keith,

Thanks. Apreciate it very much.

marc
  19. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Keith,

Thanks. Apreciate it very much.

marc
  20. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Jay

Thank you. Read Mike's treath about my figure. The colours are not as wrong as whe think.

marc