1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My first large scale figure

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by pmacko, Mar 20, 2005.

1. pmacko Member

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd try my hand at being the first to post in this new forum. It's not altogether true that this is my first figure. I've painted hundereds of wargaming figures over the last 10 years. I noticed that I really got frustrated painting the same thing over and over again and would find myself wanting to spend a lot of time getting each figure as perfect as my skills would allow, especially on the officers. When I discovered these larger models, I thought this would be perfect. I've really enjoyed the process and look forward to my next figure (a 54mm British regular from 1759 from Sparta Miniatures).

Let me know what you think and if you have any constructive criticism to offer. Since the pictures were taken, I've put the figure on a nicer base. I used artists oils on the flesh, tunic facings and trousers. The rest is acrylic paint.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Paul,
    Thank you for sharing your work. Very nice lookig figure. Look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. Regards, Brock
  3. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Very good for a first time on large scale, I wish mine were that good first time on large scale

Dave
  4. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Paul, it looks like you are enjoying the transition to the larger scales.....good luck with your next figure too.

Great paintwork.

All the best.

Roy.
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Great work Paul........look forward to seeing more of your work
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Very nice, especially for a first figure.

Cheers

Roc. :)
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Paul, Very nice for your fist large scale figure. Keep it up. I only live about 2 hours north of you in Erie.~Gary
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Paul,

I would my first figure looks as good as your first 54mm.
    I hope we see more of your " large " work here.

Marc.
  9. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Paul, Enjoyed seeing your miniature. Good looking figure. Especially since it is your first. I wish my first looked this good. The only suggestion I would make is to place the figure on a smaller base and to add more groundwork around it to draw attention to the figure. If you need further assistance don't hesitate to drop me a line. I have some articles which I will gladly e-mail you. Great effort and good luck on your next project.

Best of Everything, Terry Martin

PS< are you related to the Pirates Rob Mackowiak?
  10. pmacko Member

Hi Terry,

In the picture, the figure is actually on a small table. The only base is that little tuft of static grass around the soldires feet. Thats what comes with the Verlinden kit. I would appreciate the articles if you could email them to me at paulmackowick@yahoo.com. That's very kind of you. As far as Rob Mackowiak...no relation although thats the old way of spelling my name.
  11. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    I will gladly e-mail articles I have. Check your planetfigure e-mail for my response.

Glad to help out.

Happy Trails, Terry Martin
  12. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Very nice work, Paul. I agree a base and a little ground work would improve the presentation even more.

And hey, who says you can't do both wargame and larger scale figures! This is one place where if it feels good you should do it!

Thanks for reaching out to us with your work. And since you're close by, will you be going to MFCA? It will be a great place to see some exciting work and meet some of the people here.
  13. pmacko Member

Thanks for all the nice comments. I appreciate the encouragement. :)
  14. mahross New Member

Paul, very nice figure. I know what you mean bout trying a different scale. I happen to be going the other way. After looking at jor videki's work and a friend of mines work, who is a wargamer, i decided to give the smaller guys a go. I especially like the GW LOTR figures.

Ross
  15. olly_usafsoc New Member

Looks great!, may have to check this one out ;) :)
  16. Robert Merz New Member

17. David H New Member

Hi Paul-

Very nicely done. I would have some suggestions though, in the interest of constructive criticism. One thing I noticed was the black outlining on his crossbelts. I think this detracts from an otherwise very nicely painted figure. I know that in smaller scales such as with war game figures this is done to create depth, but in a larger figure such as this I don’t think it is appropriate. A much finer line in grey would work better, IMHO. You handled the stitching on these very nicely, from what I can tell from the picture, but I believe the extra stitching of the crossbelts was restricted to the Imperial Guard units.

You have painted the very difficult whites very well, but another suggestion is to vary the pure white a little on different uniform items by adding some off-white beige to your base color and using warmer or cooler shading. The white of the pants might be a bit different or have a “warmer” value than the white on the habit, for instance. The leather crossbelts were usually chalked white before inspection so would have an entirely different character than the cloth of the uniform, but this could vary considerably depending on how long the soldier was in the field. This creates more differentiation, which in itself will create more depth. A close look at re-enactor uniforms and museum examples really bring this to light.

Just my two cents, but again, very well done and thanks for posting your figure.

Viva l'emperor......
  18. pmacko Member

Hi Rob,

The kits fit was excellent. I am also working on one from Model Cellar of a 120mm WWI German soldat and I think the fit is not near as good...very frustrating as it will take lot of putty, sanding and slicing. This Verlinden took no putty to get the great fit. I highly recommend it. As far as what particular regiment, I didn't really have one in mind. This seemed like a fairly generic uniform based on some pictures I used but then again, Napoleonics is not my strong suit.
  19. pmacko Member

Hi David H,

Thanks for the great suggestions. You're right, the black outlines were from my wargaming days. It's actually grimy black that was a shade or two light than black but I can see where the light shade would be more effective. I like your suggestions on the white. Thanks again.
  20. Robert Merz New Member