1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

My first bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by bodo123, Jan 13, 2016.

1. bodo123 Member

Czech-Republic
    Before I come to stand unfinished piece, I began work on my first bust.
    Featuring her definitely do not need :)
    Acrylic painting.
    His hair and beard still at the base, I would like to make it quite grizzled.
    Perhaps I will succeed.
    For any suggestions and criticisms thank you in advance.
    Photographing the phone, so the quality of pictures much of anything.

Thomas

After the Battle (10 z 3)-2.jpg After the Battle (11 z 3)-2.jpg After the Battle (12 z 3)-2.jpg
    sd0324, Nemo, Scotty and 4 others like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I like what you have done so far.
    In my humble opinion you should soften the transition between the shade and basecolor. For my personal taste it is to hard.

Marc
  3. Ferris A Fixture

That's quite good for a first try on a bust.
    Skintone is nice.
    You could indeed try and blend the transitions a bit more, using very thinned paint. Make sure to unload most of the water from your brush, otherwise you'll just soak the face.
    And perhaps you could increase contrast somewhat. I think the shadows around the eyes could be stronger, because of the helmet.
    But defitely going in the roght direction!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Thomas ,

A good start bit more blending and as Adrian says thinned paint is the key and don't soak the model

Is the helmet fixed , you might find it easier to paint separately ..allow you a cleR run to the flesh etc..don't forget the shadow from the helmet .

If you want pointers for doing the eyes there is a good SBS in the Articles tab to look at ..and also one on leather you might find useful

Certainly going to be a grizzled look on this

Looking forward to seeing more

Nap
  5. bodo123 Member

Czech-Republic
    Guys, thanks for the suggestions and advice. That's why I love this site.
    Beginner like me, there is something a lot of inspiration and he gets feedback.

Thomas

PS: Helmet fixedly not, I put her just for a photo shoot.
    Nemo and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. franceso sbarile A Fixture

Good eyes and mouth, agreed about above suggestions to get smooter the transitions and furthermore apply different level of darkness at different zone of the face, i.e., as napoleonpeart says, the helmet produce shadow onto the face so the higher part of it is darker then the lower one. Hope I was able to explain myself. If you will have problems to achieve the results with acrylics you can try to use oils over acrylic to manage a better transition.
    Waiting for progress...
    Francesco
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Thomas ,

Agree with your comments about PF ...everyone learns something EVERYTIME

Happy painting

Nap
    Scotty and stoffy01 like this.
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Well that's a very good start Thomas,look forward to seeing your progress (y)
  9. bodo123 Member

Czech-Republic
    Hello, the family went to skate, so I was still able to pursue my hobby :)
    I tried about graying hair and beard, but somehow I'm not satisfied with it, what do you think?

Thomas

After the Battle (10 z 6).jpg

After the Battle (11 z 6).jpg

After the Battle (12 z 6).jpg

After the Battle (13 z 6).jpg

After the Battle (14 z 6).jpg

After the Battle (15 z 6).jpg
    samson likes this.
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Fine first one!

Cheers
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    I think you've made the beard too grey, try adding some lighter and darker tones into it, to break up the single colour, grey is tricky to pull off
    Steve
  12. bodo123 Member

Czech-Republic
    Hello guys, I'm done.
    At first I was afraid of painting, but I quite enjoyed it.
    I tried it on for me many new procedures, techniques and option in the main discovered that it is not difficult.
    It's definitely not my last bust, I look forward to more.
    Perhaps you will like it.

Thomas

After the Battle (10 z 17).jpg After the Battle (11 z 17).jpg After the Battle (12 z 17).jpg After the Battle (13 z 17).jpg After the Battle (14 z 17).jpg After the Battle (15 z 17).jpg After the Battle (17 z 17).jpg After the Battle (18 z 17).jpg
    Old Pete likes this.