1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP My first attempt at a 54mm sculpt Conan ish

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Chris Elizardo, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Chris Elizardo New Member

United-States
    Hello Everyone,

Ok, so I ask which scale seemed to be the most popular and I got mixed comments but for the most part it seems that 54mm is the best for me to start with. So here is my first real attempt at a 54mm piece, its based on Conan but I'm mostly winging it for the clothing, this is very rough and I only have a few hours into it but seems to coming along, I'm not using what most mini sculptors use, epoxy clays, I'm sculpting him in Super Sculpey mainly because that is what I learned to sculpt in and alternately because I'm accustomed
    to taking my time at sculpting and the material isn't hardening on me while I work. I may try some at some point but for now at least until I get a real feel for the scale I'll stick with what works best for me. Please have a look and if you have any tips or advise for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Keep in mind though he is still VERY rough.

Thanks
    Chris

[IMG]
    Sokol and gordy like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Re: My first attempt at a 54mm sculpt

Looks good Chris!:)
  3. Chris Elizardo New Member

United-States
    Re: My first attempt at a 54mm sculpt

Thank you Sir!

Chris
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Looks pretty good so far. The upper body is pretty spot on, not as big as Arnie but good just the same. My only critisism would be that the legs look a bit short from the knees down, but this could be the angle of the photo. Great stuff
    Ben
  5. Chris Elizardo New Member

United-States
    Thanks for the feed back, I moved the knees up but the pics kind of make the legs look short its just optics, I'm still just basically roughing in so not much detail in the legs yet. I tend to jump around a bunch when I sculpt. So far its been a fun piece and I look forward to finishing it. Here are some update pics. I also widened up his shoulders a bit.

Thanks for looking!
    Chris

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    pmfs, silviug2009 and Sokol like this.
  6. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great photos now Chris, now I saw better your great sculpt.
    In my humble and not pro opinion, the right arm should have the bicep more pronounced certainly is not a problem for your skills.:)
  7. Chris Elizardo New Member

United-States
    Thanks for the feed back!! How about this?

Thanks Again!
    Chris

[IMG]
  8. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    He looks really good to me. The face looks like an American Indian more than Conan to me, but I like that!
  9. Chris Elizardo New Member

United-States
    Thanks! This piece isn't based on Arnold schwarzenegger, I'm a Frazetta fan, but in case your not familiar with him, here's a link to his site http://frankfrazettamuseum.com/, I grew up a fan of his art, so the piece is loosely based on his version not the TV version and that might be why the face is out of place...or maybe ints not there yet and I need a bit more work on it...lol

Thanks for the feedback.
    Chris

[IMG]
  10. Chris Elizardo New Member

United-States
    Just some update pics...

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
  11. Chris Elizardo New Member

United-States
  12. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    For a first figure this is great.
  13. ryall Active Member

New_Zealand
    The right arm is stiil strange have a look at some real body builder pis. The tricep looks very strange...more like a bicep upside down. Also the forearm looks bigger than his top arm almost. I also think the angle of the arm looks strange.

Don't take this to heart I really like the figure but hope my comments may help improve it a little.
  14. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal

Much better!(y)