1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP My 2nd bust - Viriato

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dolf, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Hi!

My 1st bust is not yet finished (here: https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/la-meridiana-200mm-apache-lipan.142445/ ), the progress has been slow, and I'm starting my 2nd bust already.

I chose to pick Viriato, for a number of reasons. Apart from the obvious ones (a national hero in our History, every Portuguese has learned about him since early school, and the fact this bust is produced by my countrymen from RP Models), it is the largest bust of the few I have (which is good for my eyes and hands), it should be a change from my Apache Lipan (flesh/skin tones should be easier to get), and some info about (couldn't find not much so far I should admit, but then again, the man lived over 2000 years ago... and the only written references and mentions of him and his deeds come from Roman Historians, the rest, the local "folklore" came from oral tradition, only been mentioned in written History centuries later) him should be not that hard to get (even thought with Internet, which remains nowadays the main source of info, distances are no longer an obstacle, anyone, from anywhere, can easily have access to it; there's still some info that may have not been translated in English, or other languages than Portuguese, tho), these would be some of the reasons to pick him as my 2nd bust.

Will see in the end if I can make this beautiful bust justice, or not...

As usual, after cleaning with water and Fairy (dishwasher detergent), the main parts had a coat of Mr Hobby Mr Primer Surfacer 1000.

Only have pics of the head at this phase:

IMG_1858 copy.jpg

IMG_1857 copy.jpg

IMG_1856 copy.jpg

IMG_1855 copy.jpg

Then I started testing on the hair. I applied a base coat of Humbrol enamel Night Black.

IMG_1865 copy.jpg

IMG_1867 copy.jpg

IMG_1870 copy.jpg

IMG_1871 copy.jpg

IMG_1872 copy.jpg

Most of this paint was carefully removed with brushes before it dried, then a few coats of oils have been applied, and the same method of removing most of the paint while still wet was used. It got a 1st oils coat of Vandike Brown, mostly removed but some remains on the deeper areas, especially on the back of his head:

IMG_1882 copy.jpg

IMG_1879 copy.jpg

IMG_1880 copy.jpg

IMG_1881 copy.jpg

Right now that's where I'm at, regarding the flesh/skin base coat (a mix of Humbrol #61, Flesh + Humbrol #63, Matt Sand) . In the meantime lighter tones (Burnt and Raw Sienna, Raw Umber, Yellow Ochre), have been applied to the hair. Some Payne's Gray mixed with Titanium White has been starting to be applied on the temples. Paint still wet, now on their way to the drying box:

IMG_1985 copy.jpg

IMG_1984 copy.jpg

IMG_1983 copy.jpg

IMG_1982 copy.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Comments, critics, tips, welcome!

Cheers!

Dolf
  2. arkangelo Active Member

Great bust friend waiting for progress

Ark
    Dolf likes this.
  3. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Thank you Ark (y)

Not much of a progress so far, just a few pics of the skin/flesh parts base coated yesterday, after a night on the drying box, now fully dry:

IMG_1986 copy.jpg

IMG_1987 copy.jpg

IMG_1988 copy.jpg

IMG_1989 copy.jpg

Cheers!

Dolf
  4. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    excellent work so far

Smithy
    Dolf likes this.
  5. Dolf Well-Known Member