1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Musketeer At The Battle Of Rocroi From Adalid Models

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to all on PF ,

It my pleasure to be able to share this the latest bust from Adalid , its a companion figure to the Drummer that I reviewed previously on PF (here is the link to the review: http://www.planetfigure.com/threads...mmer-boy-bust-from-adalid.49737/watch-confirm)

As I said it depicts a musketeer at Rocroi standing shoulder to shoulder with his comrades in the close packed formations awaiting another attack .

Title: Tercois Musketeer 30 Years War

Reference No: None available (not really required as this is such a distinctive piece)

Scale: 1/7th

No of Pieces: 26

Material: Resin (x 4) and White metal (x 23) plus a reel of modelling wire

Sculptor: Pablo Ronda

Concept/Box Art: Eduardo Sanchez

The model was received quickly and well packed in a large clear blister pack , consisting of the torso , the hat and arms all in resin together with the hands (both holding weapons) a bullet bag cast with a match cord, sword hanger , scabbard , 12 "apostles" plus a total of another 5 other pieces on formers that make up the weapon handles , these are all cast in white metal . All parts were in separate bags to avoid being lost .
    No box art was included , but not a real problem as there are great pictures on the website anyway .

The model is a large one true 200mm scale and in comparison with the drummer is very imposing when put together, he is providing the strength to the young boy .
    Continued in next post:

Nap
    Rt Front.png

Attached Files:

dArtagnan and Edward like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets begin our journey and have a look at the contents when we receive our purchase:

The model was as I said received in a clear container and well packed both in individual sealable bags and wrapped in bubble wrap ...no chance of any damage from Adalid;

In this review we will also look at making up the weapon handles and the apostles using the parts provided in the pack .

As there is so many bits I have done 5 separate pictures (the 1st showing the resin ones)

kev 281.jpg kev 283.jpg kev 285.jpg kev 284.jpg kev 282.jpg
    Continued in next post:

Nap
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets now look at the Resin pieces first starting with the rather large and imposing chunk of cream resin that makes up the main part of the model : the torso

This comes with the head also sculpted on and has the clothing of a well motivated soldier ...getting the best he can , with hanging sleeves and a larger collar , the coat is open halfway up the chest .

Preparation that is needed is the removal of a large casting block , you will need to use a razor saw and sanding blocks for this ...be careful not to catch the sleeves that hang down ......while you are in this area I would suggets putting a rod in to use both as a handle when you base up the bust .

There is a small amount of flashing to carefully remove on the edge of the left hanging sleeve and also at the bse of the right one...use a sanding pad and a sharp modelling knife for this .

Over his shoulders he wears a sword belt on the right and on the left the belt to hold the "apostles", these belts are well cast , and defined , detailing on the buckle are crisp , the hang of these very natural ..these are a good chance to go wild with leather painting tecniques to produce different effects.

The facial features are very smooth , he has a beard which will repay careful painting , his eyes staring straight ahead , his cheekbones high and drawn , the eye detail is spot on making painting easy to acheive that battle hardened look , the ear (only one is seen) is a nice details as well agan complimenting the facial features well

The hair is straggling and again well done hanging naturally over his collar , speaking of which thsi is also a really nice area which sits well on the coat .

The coat itself ais as said open in the style of the period , wonderfully smooth , with natural creases on both front and back .

A good start I think .

Continued in next post:

Nap

kev 304.jpg kev 305.jpg kev 306.jpg kev 307.jpg kev 309.jpg kev 310.jpg kev 311.jpg kev 312.jpg

Attached Files:

dArtagnan and Tarracus like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Looking now at the remaining 3 resin pieces , the arms and the hat

Firstly the arms , these are both positioned ready to take the hands with weapons , preparation included a fine casting line running down both arms .....carefully and easily removed though with wet and dry ...no knives otherwise you will cut into the folds , talking of these are soft and well formed .

Both have small plugs to remove at the tops of the arms where they meet the shoulder (a swipe of filler is neded as well as pinning for additional security .

Both have been given fold back sleeve well done and sitting naturally , the wrist area is well recessed to take th hands , on the left arm he has a piece of material tied round as a field sign which was often done when opposing amies often wore very similar clothing.

Next we come to the ha , this is a massive piece and initialy I thought it out of sfcale ..however it is not and is spot on , this style and size was very popular in the period .

Prep work needed consists of sanding 3 casting blocks on the underside and tidy up around the edge of the brim...a bit of work but worth the effort , the scale thickness of the brim looks good as well ..this is a hat that has been in many a storm and all weathers.

Fit onto the head is perfect on the review model and it really looks the part.

Continued in next post:

Nap

kev 318.jpg kev 319.jpg kev 320.jpg kev 322.jpg kev 323.jpg kev 324.jpg kev 317.jpg kev 316.jpg kev 314.jpg kev 315.jpg
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets make a start on the white metal parts now firstly looking at the "apostles" and hw they are fitted to the model :

There are 12 in the pack all cast in a crisp and accurate way , very slight flashing needs to be dealt around the sides , details are really good , each has 2 tiny holes predrilled in the top to fit the ties into (great thinking about the modelle with these being done..Well done Adalid) .

kev 286.jpg

I will suggest first you begin by enlarging the holes in the belt on the resin torso to take the wires but only slightly (picture 1)

The wire is cut to the appropriate length and secured into the predrilled holes in the apostle using the adhesive of your choice.....then using some modelling pliers join and bend the end together ready to go into the belt .(picture 2)

Some might want to use twisted fuse wire on the apostles rather than use the wire provided ...the choice is yours.

apostles.jpg
    Continued in next post:

Nap

securedownload.png securedownload 3.png
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets look now at the bag and the match cord he carrys :

Again its in white metal and details are well done , particularly on the match cord he carrys with it ...shame some of it is hidden when in position .

You will need to add a completed apostle (picture 4) into the cut out on the bag of the musket ball bag , we have used greenstuff modelling putty and sanding it down as needed (picture 3).

Fit into the cut out at the base of the belt is really good (picture 5) , tiny amount of filler will be needed but nothing too taxing . Detailing on the bag is well done allowing the painter to make full use of his pallette.

kev 292.jpg kev 293.jpg kev 294.jpg
    Continued in next post:

Nap

securedownload 2.png
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Now lets get to the business end of the model ..the weapons :

Both are cast in white metal and even unpainted look dangerous !!! , they are being held by the hands the right one has a sword begining to be taken out the scabbard with the Left holding a viscious dagger .

The hands are good with the casting replicating the care taken by the sculptor and they are actually gripping the weapons , fit into the arms is first class ...though I would suggest you pin for that additional peace of mind.

There is also a "couple" of pieces that are used to make up the hilts of the weapons after much carefully thought out work you will end up with weapons that are nothing short of magnificent and the tools of our subject trade .

The sword parts are shown in pictures 9 and 10

The dagger is shown in pictures 12 and 13 with the pair in place in picture 14

Amazing when completed

kev 299.jpg kev 301.jpg kev 302.jpg kev 303.jpg kev 287.jpg kev 288.jpg kev 289.jpg kev 290.jpg
    v1 boceto rocroi.jpg kev 299.jpg kev 301.jpg kev 302.jpg kev 303.jpg kev 291.jpg kev 287.jpg kev 288.jpg kev 289.jpg kev 290.jpg v1 boceto rocroi.jpg
    Continued in next post:

Nap

securedownload  7.png

securedownload 5.png
  8. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    wow, thanks for that work, awesome
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Stephen ,

Not finished yet ..but nearly !!!!! hope you are enjoying this review

Nap
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Looking now at the final 2 pieces :

The scabbard and the end thet it fits on to the crossbelt

Both as with all the weapons are in white metal the belting needs a little work removing flashing , there are lugs that correspond to the hole in the belt ..I would pin this definatley worth doing as the scabbard is a very long piece of metal over 110mm long , detailing is very good on the strap and buckles that are cast on , again there are lugs to fit into the holes but I would again recommend putting small pins in as this could easily be knocked ....better safe than sorry as they say

kev 295.jpg kev 298.jpg kev 296.jpg

Continued in next post:

Nap

securedownload 4.png securedownload 6.png
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

My Final thought on this bust ...its a really good sculpt , and although there is a lot of work needed to complete with the apostles and the weapons (perhaps an instruction sheet for these ?), the end result is IMO stunning .

Not a bust for the fainthearted but take it step by step and WOW!!!!!

Adalid have put a lot of thought into producing this subject and it will without a doubt be a talking point and get lots of admiring looks at any show .

For more information why not go to the website which also has a link to the blog (this is always an interesting read) .

Contact details :info@adalidmodels.com

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Before I finish lets just enjoy all round views of the painted model

Rt Front.png Rt Side.png Left Side.png Rear.png

Nap
    Tommi and Tarracus like this.
  12. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
  13. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Great review Kev, nice to see your back on form,...very nice bust ..and one I hope to get my hands on very soon;)
    Cheers
    Jim
  14. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great review on a very nice kit Kev.
    Gordon
  15. Tarracus A Fixture

I've found Waldo! In Ferrer-Dalmau's painting of the battle, the sixth guy from the right, under the two flags:D
    billyturnip likes this.