1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Musings on this blog

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by blaster, Sep 28, 2020.

1. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Perhaps it is time to revive this blog.

I have travelled the well-beaten route of amassing a large grey army and have painted, converted and sculpted many figures along this journey. Along the way, I have been dabbling and honing some skill sets in the pursuit of this engrossing hobby. Many plastic and metal casualties have been left in my wake. Many of these are placed into a spares box awaiting their re-amination.

However, the constant pursuit of cataloguing and collecting endless series of miniatures is not my main interest. The miniature displayed singly or in serried ranks on the shelves remains largely out of context. It is an objet d’art placed as a decorative item in a collection. Treasured and valued only by the collector himself or another like-minded soul, it’s relevance is lost to the uninitiated.

Context can be largely created by labelling the figure, or harmonizing the collection into thematic periods. Perhaps in order to minimise a jarring display, the collection could comprise of similarly scaled pieces or types such as full scale figures, flats, busts and so on. Furthermore, the figure can be placed onto a well-crafted base by itself or interacting with other figures in a vignette. More figures could be further grouped with ordinance and buildings to create larger dioramas. But when these are visualized, the illusion is destroyed when one looks through the piece at other wandering souls and non-related objects in the background.

My main interest in this endeavour is to create an artform from these miniatures. One of the most complex of this approach is to create shadowbox dioramas. Here, the full illusion is maintained because the visual pleasure is confined to a single plane to maintain the full context. Curious onlookers will get in real close to try to view behind the figures but their viewpoints will be limited by the viewing window. Now, mustering all the skillsets and experience gleaned, I can fully engross myself in each project.

More to come...

Continue reading...