1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Music at the Workbench

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Don Johnson, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Okay, having been challenged by our Fearless Leader to start a new thread about painting music, rather than include it in the Snacks While Painting thread, here goes:

I'm not sure I can actually paint without music in the background. Never tried it, and have no desire to experiment!
    Between the CDs and the iPod, there's always a source of music. From the Fab Four to Springsteen, from Bonnie Raitt to Adele, my tastes include 60s rock (British Invasion, Beach Boys), the singer/songwriters of the 70s (Taylor, Dylan, Fogelberg, Joel, Chapin), stadium bands like the afore-mentioned E Street and Journey, and new country artists like Garth Brooks, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Kenny Chesney. Jimmy Buffett's entire catalog is always available. A recent addition has been the a cappella sounds of Straight No Chaser (10 voices, no instruments). The Broadway soundtrack Wicked is also on the playlist.

As I think about it, there is one other thing I listen to - on summer evenings, the radio brings to me the classic voices of Joe Castiglione and Dave O'Brien, as they call the Red Sox games. These guys , and their predecessors, have been as much a part of the soundtrack of my life as the music mentioned above.

So, what do you watch and/or listen to as you paint or sculpt?
    gordy likes this.
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Led Zeppelin
    Anything Chris Cornell (SoundGarden / AudioSlave)
    Anything '80's New Wave
    Anything instrumental
    GREAT video games sound tracks - Little Big Planet is excellent
    John Williams - soundtracks

Most recent favourite discovery : Thunderball
    Edorta likes this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Early Genesis, Pink Floyd, Nina Simone, David Gray, anything that takes my fancy really.
    Carl.(y)
  4. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    I like it Hard and Heavy MEtal .

Hendryk
    Edorta and ChaosCossack like this.
  5. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Bruce Springsteen, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, The Bodeans, Yes, John Prine, and I add Jimmy Buffett during the summer months.
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I listen more to talk radio. Mark Levin is on in the evenings, then I switch to John Batchelor on WABC out of New York (can't take Michael Savage anymore, he's morphed into George Nouri). Saturdays, it's Glen Meakem and Monica Crowley. When it's music, it's usually classical. I have a CD changer that holds 110 discs, and they're in alphabetical order. So, I start with Beethoven's Second, run through 4 discs including the Fifth and Ninth Symphonies, and ending with various pieces. Then I have to change the program, because Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" is the next one in the changer. Sometimes it's Nazareth, or Southern Culture on the Skids. Or polkas.

Prost!
    Brad
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Is that real New Wave, ie, starting with Dave Edmunds, to Nick Lowe, Graham Parker, Elvis Costello, to the Motels, Divinyls, and other post-punk, stripped-down bands (a couple of guitars a keyboard and drums), or the soulless techno-pop that came later?

The first time I heard Devo, it was a revelation...
  8. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Always a real mixed bag for me..pretty much depends on the mood I'm in.
    Currently it's Creedence, Delevantes, Beefheart.......and always Tom Waits, Van 'the Man' and Talking Heads
    Tend to make up compilations.
    Cheers
    Derek
  9. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Led Zep
    Black Sabbath
    AC/DC
    Prodigy
    Euphoria dance albums
    Kasabian
    Kerrang radio
    And anything else as the mood or lager hits home!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Soul, TamlaMotown, 60's, 70's and '80's . From the beginning of talking instead of singing i was hooked on my older music. Have nothing with rap, heavy metal etc.
    Most I like: PinkFloyd, CCR, Stevie Wonder, Temptations, and to much to wrote them down here as long as it is soul or Tamla Motown Music,
    Blues is a favorit to:whistle: special Stevie Ray Vaughan (SRV my avatar), BB, Gary Moore,
    Oh, there is so much good music, sometimes I spent more time to change the CD in the player then on painting.

marc
  11. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A bit stuck on Rammstein for music :)

But also talking books ( Gormenghast being the one I'm listening too atm. )

Floyd
    Cure
    Television
    Banshees
    Static X
    Pistols
    Buzzcocks
    And a few esoteric playlists made up from all genres

:)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. Russ5281 Member

United-States
    I'm all over the place: UFO, Rush, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Robin Trower, Punch Brothers, Johnny Cash, The Jam, The White Stripes, Thin Lizzy, Sweet, The Outlaws, The Marshall Tucker Band, The Allman Brothers Band, Cheap Trick, King Crimson, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, George Winston, CAKE, The Nils, The Bad Livers and a whole lot more. I worked as a manager at a small record store (what do they call them now?) for five years and was exposed to every music genre under the sun and then some. Sometimes I listen to Pandora, but lately I've been going to town with Spotify. Eventually that will wear off and I''ll be back to the trusty old Ipod.

Russ
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. Theodoros A Fixture

Greece
    Movie Soundtracks
    Triarii
    gendegaia likes this.
  14. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    I listen to the tv. I really just prefer some background noise when I paint. I usually have it on the military channel. No music
  15. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pink Floyd . Shine on you crazy diamond
    gordy likes this.
  16. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Dead Can Dance/Lisa Gerrard, Mahler, Shostakovitch - cheerful!

Funny how often I start off with some background noise only to realise it's ended hours before & I never noticed.

Geoff
  17. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    One thing I never under stood about Pink Floyd, so Sid was mentally unstable, I get that.

The rest of the band sang songs about Sid's mental condition for decades? Who had the real psychosis? :confused:
  18. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Oh, real stuff for sure, Cure, Thomspon Twins, OMD, the Church..
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I like listening to Nights With Alice Cooper on the radio on week nights (great collection of classic rock) and then a bit of Pink Floyd/ Jean Michel Jarre/ ACDC for the late night.

For a long session I'll put on the BBC Radio series of Lord of the Rings and lose myself into Middle Earth for 4-5 hours at a time. Many a time I've raised myself from the workbench and heard the birds chirping outside and seen the sun rise through bleary eyes.
  20. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    ChaosCossack and gordy like this.