1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Musée de l'Armée Paris

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by marcellin de marbot, Jan 25, 2007.

1. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hello PF members,
    This is a message for the travellers towards Paris, in particular for Glenn Hamlton who is going there next month.
    I read on a French Forum that the Army Museum of Paris has closed the Empire galleries, I think for restyling works. :eek: On the Museum's site it seems the disaster is confirmed, closed all this year, they will open again these galleries only next year. :angry:
    So, following this notice, at this time are opened only the galleries showing arms and armours of the Middle Age. I sent an e-mail to the Museum to have an official confirmation, but I think i's all true. So, hands on the credit card, you have to bring your wife for shopping (included soldiers :lol: )
    Best regards to all, congratulations to Glenn, you won a wonderful tour looking for "boutiques"
    MdM
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I visited the museum around this time last year and the areas Marcello indicated were closed then for refurbishment . Disapointing but there was always the Le Cimier shop to soften the blow. It is still worth visiting for the parts that are open though.

Roger
  3. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marcello...shame it has to close those sections for such an extended period.
    I was there way back in '97...had a full three days in there and still missed much of it. There is so much to see, and the surrounding area is beautiful...if anyone is in Paris...this really can't be missed.

All the best...Roy.
  4. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Typical! I can't tell you how many times I've visited Europe and been treated to the sight of the finest scaffolding and drop cloths available, as the buildings are always under renovation. The Brandenburg gate in the summer of 1990, St. Mark's in Venice in 1993, most of Athens (pick your year) and the list goes on.

Perhaps it's time our friends in Europe considered just tearing down these old buildings all together and putting up some new ones. I mean honestly, it must cost a fortune on maintenance for these old relics. I think Rome is long overdue for a new coliseum, and we can all agree the Pope would be far more comfortable in a new apartment block instead of those drafty old ones he currently calls home. This way, Europe's capitals can house their various treasures in convenient and modern (and scaffold free) homes, and anyone missing the look of old Europe can stop by Las Vegas, where our American friends have thoughtfully recreated most of the continent's coolest sights. Think about it! You can visit the Eiffel tower and play the slots at the same time! Pretty sweet, eh? ;) :lol:

Serioulsy, that is disappointing, but I'm glad I learned about it before I arrived. I will have to content myself with Le Cimier and the famous flea markets on Sunday! Thanks for the heads up Marcellin!
  5. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hi to all,
    I'm very disappointed, because I wanted go to Paris at th end of March for the International Expo of modelling, seeing for the fifth time the Museum :angry:
    Well, everyone has passion for the history, must to visit it
    I try to give you an idea of this beauty for eyes

http://www.galerie.roi-president.com/album...500+a+1870.html

Best regards
    MdM
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I will have to go back too, glad I'm nearer to it than Canada or maybe I'll have to visit it in Las Vegas :lol:

Roger
  7. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Marcello thanks a lot for the great gallery my friend.. Defenately a great piece of reference.

Xenofon
  8. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    As far as I know, the so called refurbishment will mean storing most of the collections away from visitors and keeping only a handfull of items on display, along with lots of text panels, following the new museum trends, so it is more educative for the general public.
    :angry: :angry:
  9. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hi to all,
    If they put only the written panels, removing the obiects, the arms, the uniforms and the dummies, why to go at the Museum? Everyone can read some books and know the same informations... :angry:
    However, there is another great Museum in Southern France, at Salon de Provence, near the lab of Metal Modeles and neat to the "Cote d'Azur" (Nice, Cannes, Montecarlo). It's always possible plain an holiday on the seaside, instead to visit Paris :lol: . But I know that also for this Museum the keeper has new programs, perhaps a transfer of all collection to the Army Museum. I would hope this may be the reason of the works and closure, but it's only my hope. The Museum has still not answered to my e-mail.
    Best regards
    MdM

For Xenofon
    I have many photos taken there, when it was still allowed to make ;)