1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Multicam 200mm Marine Afghanistan

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gellso, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is the story so far with the Marine I got from Gordon at Mitches Military Models.

I attempted Multicam before with a Corry Brit Para bust conversion and found the method and colours I used turned out a bit more woodland tone than MTP.

Having seen the majority of pictures and videos of guys wearing MTP it seems to have more of a green tinge overall and it is this tone I wanted to try and replicate with this guy. I think rather than fully imitate the pattern of MTP it's one of these that you need to try and "fool" the eye, much akin to the guys who dot digicam rather than have straight edges.

My first attempt at MTP camo had a basecoat of the sandy colour and I used colours I felt were close to the actual material.

This time I went for a light green base to hopefully get a tone I was happy with.

The pics are a bit rushed as it does take some time to paint a 200mm figure and I was painting the arms and torso at the same time. I darkened the last picture to what I felt is closest to the colour and tone in real life.

All colours are Vallejo

Basecoat of Field Grey lightened with Pale Sand

[IMG]

Airbrushed U.S. Tan Earth lightened with Pale Sand. I have airbrushed a darker mix of the same colour to give a gradient but my camera washes out alot of brown but you'll see it in further photos.

[IMG]

Airbrushed Field Grey . I wasn't too bothered about being careful with this as the pattern shows gradients, hard edges and soft edges which you will see come together as other colours are painted around it. So it's quite forgiving.

[IMG]

I then used the basecoat colour to detail and intersect the brown and dark green to try and help them "meet up".
    This pattern doesn't have an overall pleasing balance of colours when you look close at it. Some large areas of the uniform are predominantly greens and other large areas predominantly browns. But when viewed from a little further away it looks perfectly balanced. Not annoying enough when trying to paint it.

[IMG]

I then used Chocolate brown lightened with pale sand for the darker brown.
    You can see the sandy colour gradient just above his left knee.

[IMG]

Due to the transparancy of Acrylics the colours can change a wee bit as you cross colour boundries but I'll run a few washes of a light green when completed to hopefully bring them together. The dark brown looks like it doesn't belong at the moment but it's still early days and I'll try and blend it in a bit more. I'll do more detailing and add another shade of green before finishing with the flecks of almost white and almost black, which again I hope will bring it together. The camo is quite confusing to paint because there doesn't seem to be a set layering of the colours which is probaly why it works so well in real life.

I'll post more WIP shots as I go.

Any questions please feel free to ask.
    FigureLover and Grod like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Airbrushing it is certainly the way to go Grant.
    Looking good,
    Carl.(y)
  3. HIKARU_REMOVED Guest

Japan
    Excellent airbrush work! :woot:
    It is a beautiful CAMO pattern.
    Great start.;)

Mitsutaka:)
  4. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    After bust we have now crotch ? ;)
    well painted
  5. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I wouldnt worry about the woodland thing too much mate, the new camo is meant to be used in both desert and woodland
  6. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Very nice work, keep the updates coming.
  7. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The Multicam now has the dark and light flashes.
    The dark flashes are German camo black with black. This is probably a bit too dark but I will run some light green over it to lighten it.
    The light flashes are Field grey with light flesh added.

[IMG]
    Grod likes this.
  8. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Initially I painted the eyes on the face looking forward but he has quite an intense look.
    So I went for them looking to the left to hopefully soften the intensity.
    He has been sculpted with a full face beard and had to painted accordingly. I will try and lighten the growth to make it look less bushy by highlighting more.
    I'd have preferred maybe just a whisp of a beard but the sculptor went for full face. I'm sure there might be one or two people excused shaving somewhere in Afghanistan.

First attempt.

[IMG]

Looking borderline Evil.

[IMG]

Second attempt looking left.

[IMG]

Flesh painted in oils.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    offo and Grod like this.
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The camo looks excellent Grant.
    Beards are good,
    Carl.(y)
  10. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Carl,
    Great Beard link......even if that cynic thinks there's not enough water to shave..so what? It makes good sense not to waste it and also save some cash flying in more Evian!
    Gells.
  11. Maki Active Member

Croatia
    Good job painting the pattern. I have a pair of pants in MultiCam and always thought airbrush should be used for basic colors: greens and browns. You did an amazing job replicating the transitions on those colors. The light and dark shapes look very realistic as well. Take care when subduing the black shapes.

Great stuff so far.
    Mario
  12. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Mario, I will.
  13. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Excellent stff, great MTP.
  14. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Hot damn! This trooper is looking cool :cool:! Thanks for showing us how you did the multicam, this will come in handy.

Joe
  15. Pops Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank you for the link. Stunning work!
  16. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Camo instructions - very useful.
  17. offo A Fixture

Perfekt start.(y)
  18. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    WOW!!!!!! Brilliant work on the camo, I dont think anyone could do it better than that. Love itr
    Ben