1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mtd Mercenary Knight 75mm WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Dec 21, 2008.

1. RFL Active Member

United-States
    Looks like a good choice of colors Guy, I wonder if the rear legs need a long steel rod up through them due to supporting all that weight off the ground ?

Also a big " Thanks ! " from one of the lurkers for all you do for us with your on-going figure reviews and your SBS`s. The time and expense you go to is sincerely appreciated.

Richard
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Absolutely amazing paintwork my friend.
    This horse is absolutely fabulous. i like it more then the boxart wich i found to dark, and put the knight away.
    I'm looking forward to your next pictures.

Marc
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Steve ~ Dee ~ David ~ Richard ~ Many thanks for the feedback.

Richard ~ I have attached a couple of photos that show the steel rod cast into the horse's foot and how it is incorporated into the base. I took about 60 photos but was unable to get the time to post the steps until yesterday and decided to jump over the first photos and post pics of where I am at now.

Roaming 02.JPG

Roaming 03.JPG

I really feel Pegaso has taken care of the metal Fatique issue with the steel rod.
  4. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Guy,
    Very nice colour on the horse.
    Cheers
    John
  5. mario Active Member

Brazil
    Hello Guy

I liked your Knight ,the red leather is very beautiful .
    I´m anxious to see the next steps

Congratulations

Mario
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks John & Mario for your feedback. Much appreciated.
  7. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice work Guy onthis big and demanding piece. I really look forward the end

Costas
  8. Kveto Bradac Member

Sudan
    Very nice done this horse, I like the colours you have used and most interesting is the rich mane. I am looking forward for your next step.

Regards Kveto
  9. dimgall Active Member

Greece
    one of the finest horses i ve ever seen painted congratulatiomns!
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Costas ~ Dim ~ Kveto ~ Thanks guys for the kind words. This figure / horse has such great sculpting which in turn helps the painting process.
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Choosing a base

Today was the day to pull out the bases and decide which base to put the figure on. I am about ready to attach the figure to the back of the horse along with the other section of the saddle. Once the figure is on the horse the piece will become top-heavy for the work base.

So here is how I chose a base along with the keen eye of my wife.

Base 01.JPG

I keep all my large bases wrapped and stored in a storage cabinet. So I reached in and brought out a sample of each base. I had already ruled out a square base as I just didn't like the looks of the piece on a sqaure base.

Base 02.JPG

I then un-wrapped the bases and spread them out on my desk and moved the horse off the work base to each base. I called the Mrs out and we both discussed the pro's and con's of each round.

Base 03.JPG

Above is a 6 1/4 Bolivian Rosewood Base by ken Thomas.

Base 04.JPG

The base above is a 6" S&T Bolivian Rosewood flat top base.

Base 05.JPG

The above is an African Rosewood Ken Thomas base.

Base 06.JPG

Above is a 5" Antique Oak with oak veneer base by Ken Thomas.

Base 07.JPG

Base 08.JPG

After looking at each of the above we both agreed on the Bolivian Rosewood base by Ken Thomas.

Now for the next part. Pre-parring the base and fastening the figure to the base.
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Earlier in the 1st stages of this kit I decided to peg the metal base to the finished base and had drilled 1/16th inch holes for the brass rod of the same size. I then marked where the holes under the metal base would go in the new wood base and brought out my dremel drill press and drilled the base.

Base 8a.JPG

Base 09.JPG

After drilling I did a test fit and while the base was into the drilled holes I marked around the metal base with a marker and scribed the base with the back of an axcto knife.

Base 10.JPG

My next step was to mix up a 2 part epoxy and por it to the inside of the marker line on the base.
    Base 11.JPG

I then attached the metal base to the wooden base right on top of the epoxy.

Base 11a.JPG

I then mixed up a little more epoxy and ran a wider border around the outside edge of the metal base.

Base 12.JPG

Now I set the base with the horse to let the epoxy set up and cure.

Base 13.JPG

While the epoxy was drying I pulled out my accessory drawer and looked for an item or two to fill in some of the empty space.

Base 14.JPG

Base 15.JPG

All comments welcomed.
  13. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hello Guy, nice start on the horse :) I don't know if are the pictures but the horse looks a bit greenwish. Could you tell me did you use any special pins for the horse legs?
    I will follow this sbs I will have this figure soon :)
    regards
    ER
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Ernest. The Greenwish must be from your sunglasses..:D:D...no green on this horse. Look at post 23 on page 3 and you'll see how the horse is pegged.
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Guy,
    That's a great choice. When scroll down the pic's i hoped that you picked out this one. It looks like the dark color fit in with the lighter color of the horse.

marc
  16. Franco Active Member

Australia
    Hi Guy,

Well done on the painting of the horse. Also thanks for sharing the 'choice of bases' photos - very useful and informative. Looking forward to it all coming together.

Ciao my friend
    Franco
  17. RFL Active Member

United-States
    Bases

Helpful SBS to base selection. To bad S&T bases are gone, but Ken makes great Bases.

I might have picked his Oak Veneer one since they are so elegant. I also ask the wife`s opinion, besides getting a good viewpoint it`s helpful when the Credit Cards come in.......
  18. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Guy,
    Thanks for the SBS on the bases. Interesting to see you peg the base.
    Never thought of that before.
    Cheers
    John
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Marc ~ Franco ~ Richard ~ John ~ Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

I thought I would have the Knight in the saddle by this time today but a Trapper tied me up on the desk today. I did get him ready to attach the stirrups. Still more shading and highlighting needed before attaching to the Horse. Hopefully in the next few days.

Roaming 77.JPG

Roaming 78.JPG

Roaming 79.JPG

Roaming 80.JPG

Roaming 81.JPG

Above is the Knight as of today. As I said above, much more needed yet before attaching to horse.

Thanks for looking.
  20. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking really nice Guy, looking foward to watching more progress on this one, that horse is loverly
    Cheers
    Tommi