1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Moving locations with models

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by HiroshiAirborne, Apr 1, 2012.

1. HiroshiAirborne Active Member

United-States
    Hello everyone! It's been a crazy month here switching between jobs and helping friends move from one state to another. I have one more friend moving and he has a lot of completed models that he fears will not survive the move. What are your ways to pack a model for transport? Mostly 1/35 AFVs that are on diorama bases and a few that are not on any bases.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Ahh, that challenge!

Couple of options, check out AFV websites for a lot more ideas.

For completed based models, I've seen some people screw the base to the lid (lid upside down), the lay a empty shopping bag (plastic) around/over the model - smooth surface, so you wont end up (or will minimise) rubbing marks. (wrapping papers have 'toothed/ textured' surface, so it acts like a fine sand paper)

things like aerials, well, dis mount them first.

Once done (and I am presuming the AFVs are stuck to the base!) you can then pack it, place it for a short while in its matching box model upside down, lid right way up.

tape together, then invert. Repeat.

simpler way (if large supply of plastic crates with matching lids can be found is to bag the models in shopping bags (minimise rubbing, find lost bits) is to use slightly oversize packing boxes. If you are doing the moving of said kits, easier, you'll handle them delicately.

Lots of loose packing material, ye olde scrunched up newspaper, and lots of it.

Really treat as a very fragile part (we all know, not all movers do though) with the extra steps of bagging it.

Hopefully this will minimise travel bruising to a minimum.

Good luck with it all!

Cheers
  3. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    As a former AFV modeller I can relate to your problem.
    The best way to transport AFV models, with or without base, is placing the models on a piece of styrofoam and surround the model with long wooden toothpicks.
    I always transported them in plastic shoppingcrates or wooden cases.
    I never had problems with that kind of transportation.

But, not the least important, I always carry the cases myself or let somebody do it who is familiar with the hobby (modellingfriends).

Grtz
    Patrick
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I moved my collection (mainly fig's but a few dio's as well) from one side of Australia to the other with all our houshold items in a shipping container. I secured them to the bottom of those plastic storage boxes just using packing tape taped over the corners of the bases, then filled the boxes full with bean bag polystyrene balls and then secured the lid. Its a very messy job getting them out at your destination but I only had one brakage from about 40-50 built kits. Not bad going I thought.
    Ben