1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Movies

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by btavis, Dec 29, 2008.

1. btavis Active Member

United-States
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    For Passchendaele i can say that i read the critism at this side of the pont. Coming a few time's a year in the Westhoek i can only echo the critism.
    I give you the link where you can read alot off the movie and how the press think about it.
    Who am i to critism the press??

http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=10378

Marc
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Movies...

Bob - The movies listed...are they supposed to have come out in 2008? Are you looking for them on DVD or on general release in a theater?

I found these on Amazon.com - NTSC format and DVD

"Admiral Kolchak" is listed. It wasn't clear from the write-up whether this was a documentary, drama or docu-drama. 2008
    "Crossing the Line" (Christian Slater) - came out in 2008.
    William March's "Company K" - came out in 2003 and is listed. Was there a 2008 re-make?
    When I searched for "Tali-Ihantala", Pekka Parika's 1990 "Winter War" popped up.
    "Turkish Gambit" is on PAL format and in Russian language only with no subtitles.

"Crossing the Line", "Company K" and "Winter War" looked pretty good.
    The others I could not find on Amazon and two other online DVD sites.

All the best,
    Dan
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tali-Ihantala is a new Finish movie about the war and is not the same as Talvisota (Winter War). It has a release date at end of trailer which is 7/12 (Dec. 7th) but doesnt show a year, perhaps due to a delay? I'm looking forward to it though!
  5. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Dan, I don't know when they came out, I just wanted to know if they were available here in the US on DVD. I found Company K on Netflix. They all looked interesting.
  6. jacksparrow1979 New Member

United-Kingdom
    I've seen Passchendaele and The Red Baron. I enjoyed The Red Baron much more than Passchendaele as I felt that Passchendaele had a Pearl Harbour "feel" to it.
  7. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Speaking as a Canadian and History teacher, I have to say that the historical value of Passchedaele lay in the view of the home front, which admittedly takes up a good portion of that film. But it does a great job of showing what is was like to live in Canada at that time, with the emmense social pressure to "join up" that was placed on young men. I do agree that it's a little light on "action", but what little there is was superbly done. Bob, it should come out on DVD fairly soon as I am pretty sure it has run its course in the theatres.
  8. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Tali-Inhantala is out since a year back. I like it a lot. Its like a drama-documentary.
    Very realistic especially when it comes to props.

Poltava is a russian movie with the war as a background. Probably the name is changed to Poltava to sell more? Have not seen it yet but I probably will in a short while.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson