1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mounted Native

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by SRP, Jul 24, 2011.

1. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Staying with the Native Indian theme....I seem to get stuck on one theme for a while these days....another nice piece from Andrea.
    There's a lot to paint on this piece..depending on how far you want to take it..and there are quite a lot of different colours to chose from...especially for the horse.
    I have placed the acrylic pot for scale...he has no beef against Model color..!!
    Andrea 54mm. Mostly painted in oils...acrylics for detail.
    Steve.

Attached Files:

• P1010836 copy.jpg
      P1010836 copy.jpg
      File size:
      196.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      193.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      189.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      192.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      181.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Very nicely painted Steve. You may remember I did a similar Indian with my Custer scene. I very much like your detailing on the Pinto.
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic painting Steve. Very well done.
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Another great 'native' piece Steve. Superb as usual.

Regards

Ron
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Fabulous paintwork.
    Like it very much.

marc
  6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very well done Steve (y)
  7. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hey Steve, you just keep after the Native American theme for a bit, I need a template to follow when I get around to doing mine. Your colors are incredible. I gave the Indian sets to the shelf queen until I can shake the mental block. What a magnificent job Bro!

That horse staring us in the eye, too cool! Love the coloration of the Tobiano Paint, looks very authentic and convincing. Looks like you feathered the brown and white colors naturally along the breaks, just like the real thing. The shadows and highlights on the muscle structures really make the beast come alive with movement, same for the rider. And, let us not forget the shield, very well done too, along with the base.

I have six Andrea sets including the Calvary Sgt behind the horse ready for a dio but the darker skin tones are jackin me up right now. I'll keep watching your work and getting the feel for the correct tones. I think you know what I mean when you get a color block, it stinks! Also, I haven't done a horse yet, but will have to take that leap as well since most of the Indian figs have them. I recon I'll just go outside and look at the wife's two horseys.

Keep em coming Steve, love your Masterful work Bro. I'm learning a lot from you.

Cheers, Ski.
  8. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks to everyone for all the nice comments...much appreciated....!!!!
    ..and Steve Ski...get that stuff out and paint it..best way to get over any mental block..!! Start the native flesh quite dark..I use raw umber and burnt umber first..then you can always keep lightening it with yellows and a touch of indian red..finishing top highs with naples yellow. I know what blocks are like..have quite a few myself..but once you get stuck in it starts to flow again.
    ..and thanks for your kind comments Steve..!!
    Steve
  9. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Steve,
    Excellent painting and I love the horse.
    Cheers
    John
  10. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thx for the tips Stevo, the Andrea figures are on the block first at bat as soon as the snow flies, late Oct to early Nov. Moma wants me to get em done too, she's got a bit of Cherokee in her, go figure. How much is a happy wife worth? EVERYTHING!

Cheers, Ski.

P.S. I copied the color combo, thx Bro.
  11. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Beautiful painting, this is one of the best versions of this that I have seen. I love the soft demarkation of the horses colouring, something a lot of people dont do.
    Ben
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I love everything about this Steve.
    Carl.
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Beautifully painted Steve. Horse and rider in harmony.
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Steve,
    Another great figure mate, you talent for capturing native American's is superb in every respect, I just marvel at the skin tones.
    If your stuck on this theme why don't you a SBS (PLEASE) I would love to follow your process especially for painting the flesh tones.
    Bravo, Bravo, Bravo.
    cheers
    Richie
  15. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks all...
    Richard...I will try to put together a SBS on the next native I have a go at.
    When it arrives...I plan to do something on the new mounted Romeo models kit of the cavalry guy..will keep posted
    Steve
  16. DaveG Active Member

United-States
    I love this one too Steve. I hope your Native American phase continues for a while.

Really struck most by the horse in this case. Looks amazing.

DG
  17. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Nice work Steve !! (y)
  18. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    steve, very nicely done! great drama to the piece. bill
  19. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This one realy caught my eye mate and it seems you are on a roll with tha native American subjects, the horse looks fantastic as does the flesh tones on the rider, as for a SBS on, a big yes from me mate:)

All the best mate

Steve