1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Mounted Napoleon I 90mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, Dec 10, 2019.

1. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Work in progress on Castle Miniatures excellent 90mm mounted Napoleon I. Arrived in the post yesterday and this is what I have so far. Face is pretty much done and the oil paint is still wet which accounts for the sheen on the overcoat and uniform.
    79004074_10157995321018023_8906735893763588096_n.jpg 79463475_10157995321008023_6535808114082447360_n.jpg
    Edorta, Scotty, Ferris and 27 others like this.
  2. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    The face is outstanding.......top work Glenn (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
    Tonton, Oda and ghamilt1 like this.
  3. Oda A Fixture

Arrived in the post yesterday?And already you've progressed so far?Very impressive indeed.You are able to produce such a high quality painting in such a short time.It would take me forever!Lovely work so far I am eagerly waiting to see what you do with the horse.

Oda.
    ghamilt1, Theodoros, GIANNIS and 4 others like this.
  4. Cannonball A Fixture

Great work so far, love the face.

Neal
    ghamilt1 and Oda like this.
  5. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Brilliant painting, & in such a short time too. It would take me about a fortnight to reach that stage!
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Top notch work on an excellent sculpt
  7. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    This will be exceptional.

Jeff
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looking really great
    Hope someday I gonna buy this one.....(at the moment it is to expensive for me)

Marc
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Glen

Great start and quickly as well

Face looking good as well

Look forward to seeing more updates on this

Why not enter FOTM and also vote by liking the previous months entries

Happy benchtime

Nap
  10. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent start on the only Napoleon piece that I have ever considered buying (and I might yet!)

- Steve
    ghamilt1, Oda and Nap like this.
  11. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I can only echo what Oda has said and that's top quality painting at one hell of a pace, it would take me 2-3 weeks to get to that stage and it would be nowhere near as good as that.
    From letterbox to workbench, clean up and painting in a flash, no struggling to get through your Grey Army.
    TERRY
  12. Gooner Mike Active Member

Great start excellent painting
  13. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I can explain the speed at which I paint in a few ways. Firstly, I get super excited when a figure arrives in the post and the box hasn't even had time to get up to room temperature (from being outside in the Canadian winter) before I have it opened. That's why I don't have much of a grey army, all of the figures I've ordered have been started to some degree or another. Secondly, my method of painting, with an acrylic undercoat over which oils are applied, has proven to me to be quick as well as effective (by my eye anyway). So I don't have to build up a lot of layers or glazes which would add to the painting time considerably. And thirdly, I retired from teaching this past June, after 31 years in the classroom. So now, I can put in 5-6 hours painting without being interrupted by my lovely wife, who continues to teach full time.
    Scotty, Nap, Chris Oldfield and 3 others like this.
  14. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You lucky lucky so and so (apart from the Canadian winter), can you give a quick guide to what paints you use and the process that you are using, waiting time etc for acrylic to dry before oils go on, you could be responsible for helping us all with our grey armies.
    TERRY
    ghamilt1 likes this.
  15. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    To echo the comments of others on this thread, kudos to you on the quick start. Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago and I'm retired now as well. However, I have no idea when I'll start mine, so give yourself credit as you clearly have more "get and go" than most of us and also great skill with the brush. I'm sure that when I do start this figure it will take me a lot longer to get anywhere near this stage.

I'm really looking forward to following your progress so thank you for sharing and good luck with the rest of the painting.
    Gerry
    Oda and ghamilt1 like this.
  16. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Terry. I use Vallejo acrylics after priming the figure first. I prime with a shot of black Games Workshop spray primer, followed by a shot of white primer from the direction of the light source. So, for the face I used Vallejo basic flesh and a touch of red (70.908). I use a couple of thin coats to get a nice even covering then wait a few minutes for the paint to dry. If I'm feeling especially impatient, I'll use the blow dryer for a few seconds to speed up the drying process. Then I use artists oils (Windsor & Newton, Grumbaucher and some others, but all artist quality). My face colour palette consists of Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Violet, Alizarin Crimson, Lamp Black, Titanium White and sometimes a little Naples Yellow. I apply the oil colour in small amounts and do the blending with a dry brush, pulling the colour into the desired area. The face on this figure took me about 2 hours. Of course I may go back in and do some touch ups later, but for the most part that's how I do it. I've been using the same method since I first purchased Danillo Cartacci's book on painting figures, so I hope that can provide a little insight.
    Nap, gerryj199 and Oda like this.
  17. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fully agree with everybody else here - absolutely super start. Your speed is breathtaking, and at this rate you 'll have
    it all finished by this afternoon. It's looking really good already and when the paint dries and the sheen disappears, it'll
    be even better. Looking forward with relish......

Mike
    OldTaff, Nap, ghamilt1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    79708330_10158010070218023_7386132241925013504_n.jpg 70586249_10158010070238023_1649665585132339200_o.jpg
    Here's some more progress pictures. Just about ready to start the horse, which is glued up and gaps filled with putty. The struggle there will be to attach it to a painting base with sufficient stability for painting. I also want to get the base done and horse fitted before I start painting it.
  19. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    A cracking job, and no mistake ! Love the mud-spattered boots.....Roustam or Ali would have a lovely time cleaning those.....:D(y)

Alan
    Oda likes this.
  20. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    He looks incredible - as Alan said above, the boots are looking excellent & I also like the shading you’ve done on his overcoat.
    Oda likes this.