1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mounted Lancer, my first Napoleonic

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

I am finally back at trying to sculpt. I was not planning on showing this guy but figured what the hey!:D David Hood and I had talked awhile back about doing this and I fianlly got my lazy self going. David has done the horse and will also paint the guy. I hope that I can get it to look ok becasue I know that David will do a bang up job on painting it. Anyway here are some quick pic's.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. petit belge New Member

Belgium
    Is this a 54mm Joe? Looks it will be a superb piece. Wish you succes.
  3. Sam Active Member

Malta
    Hi Joe,

This will be a SUPER Sculpt. :) I believe that the horse is from Michael Roberts or am I wrong.....

Keep us posted please I always love to look at yor work :)

Regards,

Samwel Vella

P.S. Thanks 4 your vote mate on HF :)
  4. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hi Joe . I think this is a nice start for an interesting piece. I will definately folow this one closely , as i am into sculpting slowly also ...
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Joe,
    Nothing to shame for.
    From my profession i have some comments. (i cannot sculpt, so what you did is better then i can do).
    The legs, boots are not in comparison to the body. They are to thick and to long.
    The fold's on the pants are unnatural in my opinion.
    The lancer is not on the saddle but above it.

This are my comments from a not sculptor.
    It is possible that the angle of the picture is the cause of it.

Marc
  6. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys thanks for the comments. I will try to post more as I go.

Marc, to answer a few of your questions.

"The legs, boots are not in comparison to the body. They are to thick and to long."

He is wearing the baggy pants with fake boot tops, he is on campaign

"The fold's on the pants are unnatural in my opinion."

I was going for a baggy look. I still might need some more work on them.

"The lancer is not on the saddle but above it."

He will be pushing himself up in the stirrup and with his hand on the blanket roll behind him when it is all done.

I hope this clears it up a little. Thanks for the look and please if you see anything else let me know.

Joe
  7. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Hi Joe,
    Looking good so far. If you're going for an officer, this pic may be of some help. It's a plate by French artist and uniform researcher Benigni. I can email a hi-res scan of it if you need it.
    [IMG]
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Joe,
    This clears up everything. Hope you are nog angry that i comment this with my bad english.
    I should go for a sulpt. I have the heads, the torso, the pelvis.... I wish i get the guts to go for it. But i shout this a couple of years.
    What give's you the drive to go sculpt your own figures.
    When i see the work from Stephen Malia, Gianfranco Speranza, and many many more, i think it is the only way to have the figure's that you want.
    Good sculpting.

marc
  9. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hey buddy, I'm sure its gonna be a STUNNER!!!

Wish I was painting this dude, but I'm sure David will do your superb sculpting ALL the justice required!!!

Waiting for more...........

Ray ;)
  10. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    excellent figure to make a smashing job !
  11. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Luis,

Many, many thanks for the print and the help! I sent you an email.

Ray,

My good friend, I sure hope that one day I can sculpt somthing that I know that you will make look really nice! I will keep you posted. :eek:
    Marc,

No problem at all. Thanks for taking the time to comment. You should try your hand at sculpting. I still have so much more to learn but still at the same time having a lot of fun learning.

Vergilius,

Thank you.
  12. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

It has been forever but here are some really quick and poor shots of this guy. I am just about finished and will be mailing it out to David, if all goes as planned, this week.

Sorry for the bad shots.

Joe

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  13. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great work on this figure Joe!