1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Mounted 17th Lancer Zulu War 1879

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the encouraging words of support.

Dave in your opinion do I need to increase the hightlights and darken the shadows around the muscle areas???

cheers
    Richie
  2. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie

This is always difficult to say from photos but from what I can see it looks very good as it is. You also must remember how the eyes/brain work when looking at models. Once you have the rest painted and in place you kind of stop analysing aspects like the overall tonal quality of the horse.

I really like it mate, if I thought it could do with some more work I would tell ya straight but this is set up perfectly for the details that bind it all together. I'm no expert in painting horses or painting anything for that matter but you have to trust your eyes and I like what I see mate(y)
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave,
    Cheers for that(y) I think I will take your advice and paint the rest in, then I can see more accurately how it binds together. On to the tack and detail tomorrow.
    cheers again mate
    Richie
  4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Horse is looking very good now mate, looks like you are getting on well with the oils.

Nice work on the T-shirt, the resemblance is amazing :)

Steve
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the compliment, yes the likeness is uncanny:D I don't know why I need an avatar:rolleyes: you recognised me straight away:p

Thanks for the compliment on the painting too. A little bit more done today but now waiting for it to dry.

cheers
    Richie
  6. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good man, it's easy to rush but patience is the key to a good result!(y)
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    CIMG4552.JPG CIMG4553.JPG CIMG4554.JPG CIMG4555.JPG CIMG4556.JPG CIMG4550.JPG
    Hi All,
    Apologies for not being active but I have bust a rib and this has kept me out of action for a couple of weeks and I am just starting to get back to it now the pain killers are kicking in.

In the meantime I have had a laser cut plaque made although only tacked on for the moment. I have completed some more work on the horse and the saddle. The Lancer has had the main uniform colours blocked in and I have stated to paint the sword and pouches. Still loads to do but things are moving again at last.
    Hope all is well with everyone.

cheers
    Richie
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thought you had been a bit quiet mate, now I know why, hope beer didnt contribute to your injury:whistle::) the things people will do to get time off work to do their hobbies:p

Nice start on the Lancer uniform, hope the rib doesnt hold you back from painting, you doing a fine job on him.

Catch you soon mate

Steve
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve,
    Cheers for the feedback mate, unfortunately no beer involved :( and no time off work :( . I hope to make some more progress this weekend.
    cheers
    Richie
  10. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie

Thought it had gone a tad quiet! Hope you get better soon mate, painful injury that!

Nice update, very clean painting and the whole thing looks professionally presented. Look forward to more mate.

Dave
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Broken ribs? Big ouch!:(
    Coming along nicely all the same.
    Take it easy,
    Carl.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    He's coming along very well Richie. (y)

Get well soon!

Roger.
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Dave, Carl & Roger.:)

Hi All,
    An update on the Lancer, it's been quite a productive week although it may not look it. Even this weekend alone I have put about 8 hours in. I have reworked a few bits I was not happy with and estimate about 10 jobs between construction from scratch, painting and afixing to final completion.

Hope you enjoy the photo's and thank you all again for the encouragement and support that has helped spur me on.
    cheers
    Richie
    L1.JPG L2.JPG L3.JPG L4.JPG L5.JPG L6.JPG L7.JPG L8.JPG L9.JPG
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Now this looks like it coming along well now mate, a well spent 8 hours I think, nice to watch this one develop from initial converting to painting stages.

Hows the ribs, getting any better ? Oh well it will teach you for back chatting the missus :whistle:

catch you later mate
    Steve
  15. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve,
    Yes the ribs are on the mend mate. Now you have seen the missus - if you remember she is about 6' 3" and 21 stone, if I back chatted her I think I would have ended up on a hospital trolley, especially me being 5' 5" and 10 stone wringing wet:rolleyes:.

Now then back to business - yes he is coming along OK and if things go to plan I want to have everthing finished by this weekend so I can start planning my next project.
    Thanks again for your help(y)(y) top draw support.
    cheers
    Richie
  16. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking great Richie, it's a very clean finish so far and I like the fact you have taken your time, which has given these very good results. I look forward to the finished pics.

Dave
  17. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I have managed to get near the finish line, everthing is made and attached I only need to varnish the figure and do some work on the reins, mane and tail and it's completed.

Dave sorry for the late reply mate been planning my next 3 projects as this is nearly done. Thanks for all your help too especially encouraging me to step back and not go at it like a bull in a china shop. (y)
    cheers
    Richie
    CIMG4577.JPG CIMG4576.JPG CIMG4578.JPG CIMG4579.JPG CIMG4580.JPG CIMG4581.JPG CIMG4582.JPG CIMG4583.JPG CIMG4585.JPG CIMG4586.JPG
  18. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good to see you still bashing away with this one mate and all that patience has payed of in the long run, all looking very nice now, the name plate sets it of well.
    Planning next 3 projects ??? sounds like you are going to be busy mate :)

Hows the ribs mate ?

All the best

Steve
  19. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Steve mate,
    The ribs are not too bad, it's the bloody cholesterol and blood pressure at the minute.
    chimp.jpg

I'm rattling on tablets, if you turned me upside down I would sound like a rain stick. Anyway back to the modelling.

I thought this would done now but patience has prevailed. I am rather pleased with my effort on a number of fronts - first time I have done groundwork, first major large scale conversion and first time painting with oils - on the old nag.

So while i've been between jobs on the Lancer I have been planning on what I am going to do next. I will drop you an e-mail later.
    cheers
    Richie
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Good work Richie! (y)

Roger