1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Mounted 17th Lancer Zulu War 1879

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello planeteers,
    Happy New Year to you all.

I would like to show you my latest project I have been working on over the Christmas period, it is a mounted 17th Lancer from the 1879 Zulu War.The scale is 120mm.

I would like to say a couple of massive thank you's, for without these people this project would not have been possible;:awesome:
    Anthony in Australia for providing the Lancer
    Brian (smudger1960) for providing the horse
    Steve of Reedees Miniatures (1969) for providing the carbine and a massive amount of help and feedback.
    Cheers Lads(y)(y)(y)

I have shown some photo's from the early to latter stage.

Basically for the Lancer I have scratch built some new legs, modified a pair of arms extensively and added two new hands from the spares box. For the lance - the pennant was made from lead foil and the lance holder from a piece of sprue. I still have the spurs and lance strap to sort. But the figure is just about there even though everthing is just pinned or blue tacked on.

The horse came with one ear so had to scratch build a new one. The stirrups were scratch built from bits plastic and lead foil. I did not like the resin tail so made a new one from the copper screen off a piece of co-axial cable. I scratch built the horse shoe pouch, cavalry messtin and made the carbine boot from a piece of paper. A piece of the tack was added in order to add the halter chain which was provided from the wife's jewelry box:whistle: The reins are still to be made but basically the horse is complete. (The reins on are just a fill in to guage the length)

I don't know when the paint brushes will get out, as I am planning to build another 120mm Zulu war 2 figure mounted project and have some Zulu war foot figures to complete.
    Thanks for looking any critique most welcome
    cheers
    Richie

Attached Files:

2. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That is looking good (y)

The horse from smuddger is excellent what is it from.

Ron
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice sculptwork.
    Hopefully we see the painted work within a while.

marc
  4. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    I like this project! good to see all come together in grey.
    Rene
  5. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Richie looks like it's been a lot of work to get to this stage ,an excellent finish and looking forward to seeing it painted.

Cheers Ken
  6. DaveG Active Member

United-States
    Amazing work Richie. I am really excited to see him in full color.

DG
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron,
    Thanks for looking in. I bought 2 horses from Brian and he thought this one was an old Roll Call horse.
    cheers
    Richie
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc, René, Ken and Dave,
    Thanks for looking in lads, I am glad you like the subject. I will concentrating on this period for a while as I have quite a few ideas on the go.
    As for getting it painted I am not putting any time scales on this, I seem to be in a constructive phase at present. The horse will be a challenge to paint for me so I am sizing this up first.
    As I mentioned in the opening post I am planning my next Zulu war mounted project. It will be in 120mm scale again.
    cheers
    Richie
  9. Ferris A Fixture

Magnificent piece of work Richie!
    That must have been quite some work, but it sure all fits together great!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very nice mate, glad you got a horse sorted in the end.
    Looks good in the primer, should be impressive once painted.
    Carl.(y)
  11. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good to see the Lancer on here mate and you have done a cracking job on the figure and horse, a lot of work but worth the final result.

All the best

Steve
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Adrian - Thanks for the comment, I think the most frustrating part was the piece of tack and halter chain I added that took me an hour :( , but there was nothing on UK Christmas TV worth watching.

Hi Carl - It was nice to get the horses secured at last. Thank god for Halfords car primer (y) that's all I can say.

Hi Steve - You certainly can take some of the credit mate your coaching and support has been invaluable.

cheers
    Richie
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I have decided to have a go for the first time at putting some simple ground work down on my base. Having taking inspiration from Dave's (Dr Force) superb projects.
    Not having done this before - does the composition look OK? Is there enough content? Or too much? I want to try and achieve that dry scorched Veldt look when it's painted.
    I put down a milliput base to give some terrain texture. I then went and scrounged in the garden for suitable materials.
    The layer on top of the milliput is from a compost bag. (I did have one hell of a job trying to get this to stick - in the end I fixed it with hairspray. Any advice for the future would be most welcome)

The bush came from my herb pot, the log from a branch cutting, stones from the borders and for the grass I could not find anything suitable:confused:

So my eureka moment was to cut the roots off the onions I had in the fridge and use this as my grass.
    cheers
    Richie

Attached Files:

14. Dennis Active Member

England
    Hi Richie, This is looking good, I hope you have it ready for Sword & Lance. Further to my PM ref Sword & Lance, I forgot to add; you will meet quite a few Planeteers at the show. Good luck with your Lancer, see you soon I hope.
    Regards
    Dennis
  15. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    HI Ritchie

This is really taking shape, like his slightly raised seat on the horse,and his onions are not bad as well :)
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dennis,
    I will definitely see you at the Sword & Lance and just to show you I am not a stereotypical Hartlepudlian - I will be the one sporting a flat cap, eating a sausage roll and kicking the whippet:lol::lol:

Hi Ron,
    Are we talking about my eureka idea or the rear view of the horse:p
    cheers lads
    Richie
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    PVA wood glue is my adhesive of choice for all thing groundwork Richie.
    Coming on now, and I look forwards to having a look at S&L,
    Carl.
  18. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie,well i must say this looks very good,i like the rider and the carbine is very nice as well,nice touch with the horses mane,it looks very effective,i look forward to following this project,i like the zulu wars and its nice to see this mounted figure,great job mate (y)

Thanks for the mention as well (y)(y)

Brian :)
  19. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie

Thanks for the mention, I appreciate that.

I'm also with Carl in that variable consistencies of PVA glue are perfect for ground work.

It's all looking very good indeed and great you are thinking how you can use items at your disposal as a very effective and cheap option. The onions are a very good shout.

One thing I would consider is finding a suitable rock and smashing it in to very small tiny pieces to sit along side some of the larger ones currently placed on the base. This helps the feeling of the rocks being sunk in to the ground with bits having broken away.

All in all it's turning in to a high quality piece mate, well done(y)
  20. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    What a great piece of modelling Richard. As Carl says should be very impressive when painted.
    Cheers
    Derek