1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mountain Man Conversion - Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I have admired this kit since I first saw it advertised. Now I have it and the cussing has already started. Nothing fits and I had to do major grinding to get the arm to fit the left shoulder. The fringe doesn't fit and I will work on that problem as I go along........"But its a Mountain Man"!!!!!........I'll make it fit :lol:

The Humbrol base coat is on for the flesh and I should be able to do it tomorrow.

[IMG]

Here is the rifle and cover, minus the fringe, which I will do separately

[IMG]

All comments and encouragement, even prayers....are encouraged!!!
  2. Brad S Member

Guy,

I thought you were going to finish some on your workbench first. (heh heh) Oh,I know, Its a mountain man. Cant wait to see it finished. I remember when you bought it in Tulsa. I had thought about getting it also. I'm sure you will do it more justice than me. Keep us posted.

Brad Spelts
  3. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Guy

I wished I can meet you, to talk for hours or days , I like always mountain men.
    From which company is that?
    Your start looking good.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Brad and Stephan.

Brad........I did finish 5 figures that had been started since the first of the year ( The WWII GI was started 12 years ago ) before I started the Mountain Man.

Stephan........This is a 1/9th scale Bust by Harton Miniatures that my wife bought in Tulsa last month. Yes....sometimes I wish the people who share the same interest lived closer. Thank goodness for the internet.
  5. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hey Guy,

When I first saw this figure, I have to admit, I thought of you. Can't wait to see it finished, unless you decide to take a hammer to it first ;) .

Mike
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Mike..........already had the hammer thought......but the Mrs was standing right there after hearing the language I was using :( But the worst part is over now. I made sure all the parts fit befor I primed the bust (y)
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy, that is a beautiful figure,albeit the lousy fit I can see why you would want to paint it.

Keep the good work.

Roc. :)
  8. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    I got a bust from Harton which is very good.
    Hmmm.
    Its hard to get one in Germany.
    Very expensive.
    When I read the fit is not good I think I never get one in the future.
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I have finally got the face done on the Mountain man. Slow progress with all that is on the bench.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

This is the Gray Fox I will use as reference for the headpiece.

[IMG]

All comments and suggestions are welcome
  10. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy, looking good, I like the bronze look on the face,looks realistic.

Cheers

Roc. :)
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roc......I appreciate your comment and value it from you.
  12. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Nice looking bust so far Guy. Looks like all that hard work is paying off! What color will his coat be and the gun bag too?

Jim Patrick
  13. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    posted twice. woops
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the encouragement Jim, I appreciate it. The gun bag will be the same color as his shirt under his Coat. The color is called Butternut. His coat will be a dark brown with the highlight color being the same medium brown as the inside of the hood is now.
  15. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Guy,

About time you make some progress on this one! Too bad to hear the fit was bad, I was always under the impression that the Harton stuff was top notch.

I think you should paint the coat red as one of those fur trade blanket coats, they just look so sweet, but then again, you probably have dont that on atleast another 5 mountain man busts :lol: The brown will look great too though!
  16. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Guy,

From the cut, the coat is obviously made from trade blanket material. For commercial (trade) reasons, these usually had very bright colours which appealed to the Indians. Most closely associated with the fur trade (and trappers) were the Hudson's Bay Company and its rival the North West Company.

http://www.hbc.com/hbc/e_hi/historic_hbc/point_blankets.htm

http://www.norwestcompany.com/nwcblankets.htm

Like Anders, I think a bright red would be great for the bust and would nicely set off the buckskin gun case and the Crow beadwork.

Best wishes,

Q. ;)

[IMG]

[IMG]
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Quang...........I had intertained the idea of doing it in red, as a trade blanket cloth and then filling in where the fringe would attach on each shoulder. I have not seen blanket coats made with buckskin fringe on them.
  18. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Guy,

Some of the blanket capotes actually had fringes made from leftovers of the same blanket material.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Q.;)
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Quang.........I did some searching this morning while the planet was down and also found several illustrations of Mountain Men with Red coats. In by my coffee table was a book I was reading called "Carry The Wind", and right on the cover was the red coat I had seen with the fringes. I wanted to make sure I was accurate as possible before putting fringe in the coat.

Attached Files:

20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    The mountain man below also shows fringe on the shoulders. Although the kit has long fringe, I will shorten the kit fringe as it would'nt be as long due to being much lighter in weight and soft when dry.

Attached Files: