1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

More War of the Worlds vignette work

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kansas kid, Aug 24, 2015.

1. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Below are some quicky photos I shot of my latest efforts regarding my War of the Worlds vignette. I’m getting closer to completion regarding the base, but there is still quite a bit to do regarding completing the Alien figure. I haven’t solved the problem of those two gaps, left and right in the mouth of the Alien. And after that problem is solved I will need to glue the head onto the body and use Apoxy Sculpt putty to fill the rather large gaps at the neck. And then smooth sand all that puttied area and paint the area to blend in with the rest of the figure.
    Regarding the vertical “headline” War of the Worlds, I did the base coat in acrylic on the lettering and then added oils on top of the acrylics. I feel oils are very forgiving, and so much easier to blend the tones from bright red to bright yellow and then back to bright red at the bottom of the letters.
    As I previously mentioned, I did watch the Stephen Spielberg movie from 2005 and I noticed how srtongly in the film the Christmas colours were. Bright Red and Bright Green! As I mentioned previously the red tendrils are actually roots from a lilac bush, painted with bright red acrylics. I used the prairie tufts variety of plantlife, or grasses for the green weeds and grasses on the base. These were painted with bright green oil paints before removing them from the carrier sheet. Acrylics paints would not stick to those foliage items.
    In most cases the roots/tendrils were attached to the base with Elmer’s Glue or white glue as some call it. But in a few cases I had to use Super Glue. The shiny residue that come from dried Super Glue will have to be coated over with Testor’s Dull Coat. For you beginners when working with Testors Dull Coat, remember that this product is lacquer. So you have to clean your brushes, afterwards with lacquer thinner. Turpentine, or mineral Spirits will not cut the Dull Coat, which is a lacquer medium. And besure that you work in a well ventilated room. Lacquer thinner has quite a distinct odor.
    I realize that unlike the most popular subject mater here; i.e. Historical Soldier figures, this subject is kinda far out in left field. But with fantasy or Sci-Fi there are no rules from what colour choices you make or for what kind of terrain you decide to fabricate. For me is quite liberating, and thus for me at least, adds so much more to the “fun” of this incredible hobby. Your candid remarks are welcomed.

Attached Files:

Huw63, Mike Stevens, Jazz and 5 others like this.
  2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Not my personal cuppa, but cool nonetheless! The tendrils look perfect!

All the best,
    Dan
  3. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Dear Rick,

really good stuff you show us. Fantastic pics as well.(y)

Cheers,
    Pedro.
  4. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roger that, Dan:

And yes, I realize most Planeteers will not find this kind of muddling
    very interesting. After all, it ain't historical. But it was kind of you
    to chime in here Dan. . . and I do so appreciate your kind remarks,

Miami Jayhawk
  5. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Oh my goodness, Pedro:

There you are. Ha ha. So good of you to post your most
    welcomed remarks partner. . . . I do so appreciate it,

Rick
  6. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal

You´re welcome sir.
    I really like some fantasy pieces, great imagination that turn into a nice kits.

Cheers
  7. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roger that, Pedro:
    You are a gentleman, for sure. And isn't that part of this
    creative journey, that we want to explore and learn new roads
    to travel — meaning letting the imagination go free to come up
    with new approaches of expression . . . . :)
    Have a great week my friend, as Blue Monday disappears
    from the calendar and Tuesday approaches.
    Kind regards to you and yours, Pedro. Rick Brownlee
    pmfs likes this.
  8. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Looking good.
    If the gaps aren't real large and in a spot thats hard to reach, I would recommend something like Elmers white or wood glues applied with a toothpick or small tipped brush. I prefer the wood glue because its a bit thicker and fills a bit better. It will feed into small cracks and level itself out, and can be smoothed out with the tip of a wet brush once it sets up a bit. If the first application doesn't fill it completely, you can add more and smooth again. Plus you may not need to paint it as it would add some wet look to the inside of the mouth.
    Cheers
    Jason
    kansas kid likes this.
  9. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Jason: Oh my, I love your two quote below your most welcomed
    comments about my latest "Alien" project. Particularly the one that
    says ". . . . an argument an exchange of ignorance". Oh my isn't that
    the truth. But more importantly, I want to thank you for your suggestion
    of using Wood Glues. I am aware of them. But I'll admit I never realized
    before you wrote your comments above that this should be a "product"
    that I include in my regular application of adhesives. I want to tell
    you sincerely, Jason that I do so appreciate you imput and I will
    get that Wood glue "on site" as soon as tomorrow. . . Thanks again,
    my friend, . . . . . The Miami Jayhawk
  10. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    Love the vibrant colour in contrast to the 'cool' colours of the martian - love it lots Ric and lovely to see some of your work
    kansas kid likes this.
  11. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    So good to hear from you, mate. Hopefully you and your family
    are doing well. And I do really appreciate your encouraging words.

Have a great week, Rick
  12. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Personally, I think the colour combination is just right for an out-of-this-world alien "visitor" :LOL:! Great Job, my friend (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)!
    Cheers!
    Kenneth.
    kansas kid likes this.
  13. Jazz A Fixture

England

Hi Kansas,

I'm not like most Planeteers and this IS right up my street. As always you have put your heart and soul into this piece and made a wonderful job of it. I like most military pieces as much as the next guy but I'm not embarrassed to say I prefer Sci-fi and horror. I always have. Next in pecking order for me is the wild west and ACW. Then anything else so long as it's a figure.

I love how you've made the lettering look red hot, and I've said before the red weed looks great. Very good contrast with the little green man himself. As always Kid...superb!!
    kansas kid likes this.
  14. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Kenneth. Oh my gosh, you are so kind. And thank you
    for your encouraging words. I've struggled with the project
    mostly with concern about colour choices. Thanks again, Ken

Rick Brownlee

Hello Jazz: Gee, it seems you and I have similar interests regarding this
    multi-faceted incredible hobby. I also do military figures too. But actually
    most of my modeling is of wheeled military vehicles, such as Armored
    Cars from WWI and WWII eras. Naturally, I don't post those models here.
    I've done a number of Horror and Sci-Fi projects within the past few years, and
    I hope to find time to post more of them here. Thank you for the positive words
    about how I did the lettering. I wasn't sure that was the way to go, but
    felt that "title" needed to have impact with the viewer/judges immediately.
    Sir you are very kind, and I sincerely appreciate your words. Have a great week Jazz.

Rick